5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2014 1:34 PM by Erniegar

Huge file size?

Erniegar Level 1

Hi all,

I am creating as very basic Director file (or so i thought) in Director 10.1 with some pictures in.  There are about 20 images and each one is about 200-400kb each.

Yet when I import them they come in as a huge filesize!?!?  This has never happened to me before...

When I look at the side panel it tells me they are bitmaps with a file size of, for example, 23.7MB but I know its just a jpg of a few hundred kbs.

As a result my dir file, and thereafter my dxr file, is huge when the content therein is just a few megabytes in total.

I have never had this before - all my previous projects are a reasonable size?

Please can anyone advise?

Thanks...

• 1. Re: Huge file size?
          jackblackweb Level 1

Hey Ernieger,

What platform?

jpg files seem to be deprecating.

png files may work.

Jack

• 2. Re: Huge file size?
            Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

If you publish the file to DCR you'll regain the file size. Director decompresses/expands JPEGs on import so that they display as quickly as possible, without requiring prior decompression

• 3. Re: Huge file size?
              Milky_au Level 3

just an idea...

with the property inspector turned on

select the bitmap tag

under 'compression' change it from 'Movie Setting" to 'JPEG'

I believe Director brings in all graphics uncompressed - only compresses them upon publishing

So if you want to publish an .exe with lots of large graphics - and you don't turn on 'Compress Files (shockwave format)' under files - in the publish settings,

or you wish to get your files even smaller - then you can play around with lower jpeg settings

• 4. Re: Huge file size?
                Erniegar Level 1

Hi all,

Unfortunately these suggestions are not working...

Its still a huge filesize when I import a png (bigger even!)

Its already set on the jpeg settings and changing that does not help.

I am instructed to submit in dxr format so need to do so.

I am using 10.1 on Windows 7.

With a deadline looming, I'd be very grateful for any more suggestions...?

Thanks...

• 5. Re: Huge file size?
                  Erniegar Level 1

I am now able to submit in dcr format, so alls well that ends well, with thanks to all....