6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 9:56 AM by Peru Bob

How To Install OS on Raid0?

Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

My system is a bit over two years old now, and has served me well in that time thanks to a lot of advice from this forum.  It's weak link is a Toshiba SSD used for the boot drive, that is not even as fast as a decent HDD.  Yesterday I suffered a serious system crash, and while I did eventually get it to boot, it is sick and I have decided to reinstall Windows. So I shall take this opportunity to do something about the boot drive. 

The system is currently

X79 UD5

32Gb RAM

GTX570

Toshiba SSD for boot drive

2 x 1Tb Velociraptor in raid0 for project drive [Note 1]

2 x 1Tb WD Black in raid0 fo data

various other internal and USB3 externals for other data and back up.

CM Storm Trooper tower

Windows 7 Pro

I have ordered a pair of Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 250Gb SSD drives that I intend to use in a raid0 for the boot drive, but I am nervous about the sequence of setting these drives up as the C: drive.

My intention is to disconnect everything, All daya has be copied off the two existing raid0 arrays and everything was backed up via Shadow protect.

I am using the Intel RSTE_allOS_3.0.0.3020_PV driver for the raid.

So my questions are:

Is there a later driver?

At what stage will I be able (or need) to install that driver?

Am I doing the right thing by starting with just the C: drive connected while installing the OS, or should I have the other two raid0 arrays connected?  (I am not even certain I will able to support three different raid0 directly to the mainboard.)

[Note 1]  Windows doesn't see this drive since the crash, but I did get it viewable temporarily by reinstalling the Intel driver.  Windows could there was data on the drive, but could not access it.  The drive was no longer viewable on subsequent boots.

Thanks for reading.

• 1. Re: How To Install OS on Raid0?
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you search this forum, you will find:

1) The Samsung Evo is not recommended.  The Samsung Pro is.

2) Raid for the OS drive is of no significant benefit.

• 2. Re: How To Install OS on Raid0?

Thanks for your input Bob.

My thought were that with a 500Gb C: drive with that much performance, I would be able to use it for more than the OS.  Some of the things that I currently have on the other drives could stay on the C: drive.  Note that Photoshop is by far my main use with this system.

I'll try and intercept the order and see if I am too late to change to the Pro drives.  (their phone is engaged right now)

• 3. Re: How To Install OS on Raid0?

OK, I was able to intercept the order and change it to a pair of  Samsung 256Gb 840 Pro drives.  I have also found threads discussing the difference between the EVO and Pro drives, so thanks Bob for the heads up in time for me to change the order.

I expect I can muddle through the set up and reinstall, with some help from Google, but I am just a bit nervous about the process, and specifically when I'll get the chance to install the Intel driver, and how on earth I install Windows to an array that won't exist until I install the driver.

• 4. Re: How To Install OS on Raid0?
                Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

It is a major mistake to install your OS and APPs on a RAID 0 array.  Recovery tools generally will not work on RAID arrays.  Keep your OS and Apps on a single drive.

• 5. Re: How To Install OS on Raid0?

Thanks Bill.  We see so many systems with a raid0 boot drive nowadays, I didn't even consider it to be an issue.  Noel Carboni on the Photoshop forum is proud of his multi drive SSD raid0 that he uses for _everything_, although Noel is only a Photoshop guy, and software engineer.  I also have an MSI laptop that came as standard with two SSDs in a raid0 for the boot drive (MSI GT70).

Regards recovery tools, I have Shadow Protect, but have not used its boot drive image feature up to now.  I don't know if that would cover me for a lost boot drive?

BTW  I have worked out how and when to install the drivers.  I am also committed to the two drives now, so just have to decide how to use them.

• 6. Re: How To Install OS on Raid0?
                    Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use one as an OS drive and clone it to the other one so you have a backup.