3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2014 3:23 PM by Steve Werner

Why does command-J not connect two points as it does in AI...

Mike Fernbank Level 1

...and other similar inconsistancies. I thought this was supposed to be a suite. Is there a way to tear off tool menus in ID as I can in AI? Seems like it would be good in both applications. My question: is there a way to alter the commands in ID, AI and Photoshop to change them to have the same key commands...or add them if missing? Why are these three applications—all made by one company—so different? A rhetorical question, to be sure, but still a puzzle. And it's not just raster vs. vector. As I mentioned, both AI and ID have paths with points to be joined. Vectorworks, my CAD program of choice, allows the user to choose and assign key commands to just about anything, so it's not like it isn't done elsewhere. It got me wondering if it weren't possible in CS6.

• 1. Re: Why does command-J not connect two points as it does in AI...
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There will never be total agreement among keyboard shortcuts between  InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop because they have different histories and different priorities for what the applications do.

You can edit keyboard shortcuts (Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts). Click the Show Set button which opens a long list of possible shortcuts in your text editor. You can search for a shortcut.

In fact there is a command for Object > Path > Join. It's found in the Object Menu list of commands. You can assign it to Cmd-J (which would replace the Go To Page... command). I've assigned it to Ctrl-J.

• 2. Re: Why does command-J not connect two points as it does in AI...
            Mike Fernbank Level 1

Thanks, Steve, that is very helpful! I didn't realize that ID/AI/Photoshop are all from different companies. I assumed that Adobe, Inc. had created them to work together when they assigned the "CS" label to them. I guess that was just marketing. I certainly won't continue to assume that what works in one will work in the other. I'll check the "help" file, first!

• 3. Re: Why does command-J not connect two points as it does in AI...
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No, I didn't mean to imply that the three applications were developed by different companies but by different teams at the same company. Each group works works with beta testers who specialize on what they do.

So for example, Illustrator, which was the first of the three to come out was working with objects. It was important to be able to transform objects so they assigned Cmd-D (Object > Transform > Transform Again). Photoshop was the second. They work with pixels, and there's frequently the need to deselect pixels so they assigned that Cmd-D (Select > Deselect). And InDesign, which was the third to come out, places an lot of text and graphics. They assigned Cmd-D to (File > Place).

At this point, it would be very hard to get the Illustrator and Photoshop users to give up their Cmd-D shortcut! But you can create your own.