18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 9:39 AM by Willi Adelberger

Saving a file as .eps gives user an ID 5000 error on a Mac

Sugar bear 1234

I have a friend that is having a hard time saving files as .eps in InDesign, Illistrator and PhotoShop when using a Mac.  She is able to create the file and save it so she should have full ownership and read/write rights to the file.  Yet when she opens the file, edits it and saves it again, she gets a pop-up stating "Cannot save the illustration.  You do not have enough access privileges - ID 5000".  The user is the owner of the file.  How would she not have access privileges?  When she saves the file as an .ai, pdf, or jpg, there is no problem.  She also has no problem saving the file on a Windows PC.  What could be the problem?

Software version :  CS6

Device: iMac, 3.75 Ghz Intel Core Duo with 8 gigs RAM

• 1. Re: Saving a file as .eps gives user an ID 5000 error on a Mac
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

InDesign generated EPS files are final destination files. They are not intended to be opened or edited.

• 2. Re: Saving a file as .eps gives user an ID 5000 error on a Mac
            Sugar bear 1234 Level 1

I did forget to mention that the files are rather large and are being stored on a network drive.  The user prefers this format because others can veiw the file even if they do not have InDesign installed.  Have suggested saving the file as pdf since Adobe Reader is a free and easy install.  User did not like this response.

• 3. Re: Saving a file as .eps gives user an ID 5000 error on a Mac

Whether they like it or not, PDF is the by far the best way to handle this.

Feel free to point them here.

• 4. Re: Saving a file as .eps gives user an ID 5000 error on a Mac
                THG_Bike Level 1

Either the Mac client or some of Adobe products are not handling SMB files share on Mac servers under 10.9.4 If I log into a share using AFP the problem goes away, not surprising. Under Finder select GO/Connect to server then enter this into the dialog afp://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX you need to know the IP address of your server of course which you would replace the X's with.

• 5. Re: Saving a file as .eps gives user an ID 5000 error on a Mac
                  John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have suggested saving the file as pdf since Adobe Reader is a free and easy install.  User did not like this response.

User needs to update workflow. There is no valid justification for using EPS.

• 6. Re: Saving a file as .eps gives user an ID 5000 error on a Mac
                    THG_Bike Level 1

John, That is a narrow minded and extraneous comment.  People use the forms because they have problems that need to be solved and the choice of file format is a mute point in this case. Write a blog!

• 7. Re: Saving a file as .eps gives user an ID 5000 error on a Mac

THG_Bike wrote:

John, That is a narrow minded and extraneous comment.  People use the forms because they have problems that need to be solved and the choice of file format is a mute point in this case. Write a blog!

On the contrary; what I stated about the EPS file format is a fact, and your opinion about my having presented it is what's extraneous. Further, I don't know what you mean by "People use the forms..." and the word is "moot."

• 8. Re: Saving a file as .eps gives user an ID 5000 error on a Mac

John's reply is the same as mine.

Don't expect a lot of help doing something the wrong way. If you're not prepared to get the right answer, don't ask the question.

• 9. Re: Saving a file as .eps gives user an ID 5000 error on a Mac
                          THG_Bike Level 1

File format has nothing to do with Sugar bear 1234's issue. EPS is a supported Illustrator format and in may case is what my customer requests. This issues seams to be on the Mac client side when using the SMB file protocol because there is another thread that talks about using a Windows Server as well. Since Indesign, in my case, has no problems with with SMB but Illustrator and Photoshop do it appears the issue could do those products. Apple has release the last few updates unusually close together so Adobe may not be up-to-date with the current changes. Hopefully Apple has fixed the SMB issues dating back to OS X 10.7 and Adobe is able to fix their issue if it is them. I will help in any way I can to fix the issue this Discussion Thread with created around.

Workflow and choice of supported file formats is for another thread.

• 10. Re: Saving a file as .eps gives user an ID 5000 error on a Mac
                            THG_Bike Level 1

There are multiple threads talking about this issue so this is the solution I found to work that I posted in one of the other threads.

Either the Mac client or some of Adobe products are not handling SMB files share on Mac servers under 10.9.4 If I log into a share using AFP the problem goes away, not surprising. Under Finder select GO/Connect to server then enter this into the dialog afp://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX you need to know the IP address of your server of course which you would replace the X's with.

• 11. Re: Saving a file as .eps gives user an ID 5000 error on a Mac
                              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

No, using EPS is narrow minded as it is an old outdated file type which does not support transparency nor color management. That means you will loose information and quality eventually. There is no reason to save as EPS today.

• 12. Re: Saving a file as .eps gives user an ID 5000 error on a Mac
                                MW Design Level 4
                                No, using EPS is narrow minded as it is an old outdated file type which does not support transparency nor color management. That means you will loose information and quality eventually. There is no reason to save as EPS today.

I just love it when these "discussions" come around and the forum isn't busy. It is sort of like driving by a train wreck—cannot stop myself from taking a peek.

Look, there are reasons for exporting to EPS even in this day and age. Ever work with people in India? Not picking on India but that is where the greatest number of requests I get for providing EPS files. Being the dumb SOB that I am, after I get turned down when I ask if a PDF or an AI file would be a better format, I just give them what they want.

And besides. Want to stop having to tell people to stop exporting to EPS format? Open a request to Adobe and tell them to stop supporting that format for both import and export. Until such time that Adobe sees the wisdom of y'alls argument in dropping that file format for both import/export, why not attempt to throw a little help in with the adamant Stop message, eh?

As for the OP...try having the user save to their local drive and move it to the server. Not a great solution, but it usually works.

Mike

• 13. Re: Saving a file as .eps gives user an ID 5000 error on a Mac

@ MW Design: I have never seen problems in an InDesign file if people have used linked native AI files here in the forum, but a lot of problems (fine white lines, wrong background, etc.) when they use EPS. So it is really not a good idea to entrust people to use EPS.

I know that reasons exist to use EPS. But those reasons are not found in InDesign, more in older applications or plotters. But here we are in the InDesign forum, and I give answers appropriate to InDesign.

I would not recommend to give away an open InDesign file, even to another country where they are not aware of local situations. But your example with India is outside InDesign even if a lot of InDesign components comes from India. (In my experience the people of India are more aware to modern techniques as Yesterday people from other countries.)

• 14. Re: Saving a file as .eps gives user an ID 5000 error on a Mac
                                    MW Design Level 4

Then, Willi, like I said, urge Adobe to not support the EPS format any longer in InDesign, AI and PS. But as long as it is an option, there will always be these types of questions of getting EPS files into ID or out of it (in this case).

My reference to EPS files and ID is in relation to creating assets for use in ID, and it isn't only for people using ID in India. At the end of the day, one complies with the customer. It really is as simple as that.

Personally, while I have had to fix EPS files supplied for my ID use, I still leave them in EPS format because I will need to return those assets. And they need to work properly once the client receives them back. I don't like it per se. But they are the ones depositing money into my bank account.

Your characterization of EPS being more for use with older applications and plotters is funny. Doesn't ID version CC 2014 still import and offer export of EPS files in this "enlightened" day and age?

Again, if you don't like Adobe's choice to support the format, get them to stop that.

• 15. Re: Saving a file as .eps gives user an ID 5000 error on a Mac

Of course, EPS has to be supported from all Adobe Applications, because a lot of older programs and devices need EPS. Adobe is neither removing the older PDF/X-1a standard because X-4 is newer.

But it is a different thing to tell people that there is no problem to use EPS or PostScript generally. I know a lot of people are using EPS because they have learned to do so 10 or 20 Years ago. They think of EPS as in terms of lossless. But this is not true, when they use modern programs and use transparency in any kind or need color managed files.

But they need to learn that EPS as linked graphic or image is outdated and you can read here in this very forum how people have problems only because they are using EPS instead of AI or PDF. There is no downside to use PDF instead of EPS. In some cases it has equality, but those people who are encountering problems are not aware where these problems come from, so it is easier to tell them not to use EPS. I could describe in detail why and how, but to be honest, often I think it will distract them.

As we are here in an InDesign forum and people get Illustrator files in any form we can tell them very generally not to use EPS and use AI.

• 16. Re: Saving a file as .eps gives user an ID 5000 error on a Mac

I can't imagine why this would have anything to do with whether the application supports the format. If a user's best choice of format hinges only on whether a format is supported by the application, then I suppose it would be prudent to advise InDesign users to export all their layouts to JPEG and that Illustrator users should convert all their native files to DXF.

• 17. Re: Saving a file as .eps gives user an ID 5000 error on a Mac
                                          Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

This issue has little to do with file format and most likely a permission issue. Have your friend repair the disk permission on the imac.

• 18. Re: Saving a file as .eps gives user an ID 5000 error on a Mac

Even if this has nothing to do with the first problem—I agree here—but you realize that someone is doing another error, it is important to make people aware of that problem he is causing unaware.