12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2014 1:51 PM by Szalam

Exercise folder

RichLawyer

Just subscribed to CC. I'm new to AE. Online training vids make reference to an exercise folder.

Do i have access and if so where is this folder located?

Also, Vids are tailored to Mac users. I'm PC.

Can not locate Essentials drop down

• 1. Re: Exercise folder
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What online training vids are you following? Usually a professional training series will come with a download or a disc that contains assets and project files for you to follow along with.

If you're new to AE and haven't purchased a reputable training series, it's a really good idea to start here. It's a free set of resources curated by Adobe professionals to help beginners start off on the right foot.

AE is very similar for Mac users and PC users. Just use Ctrl instead of CMD/Command and Alt instead of OPT/Option in any keyboard shortcuts they mention.

• 2. Re: Exercise folder
            RichLawyer Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

Im following the creative cloud series. It's ok but basic so far.

i was hoping for more detail about effects and animation but it may be coming in following modules.

Kind of reminds me of the first time i opened illustrator.

Mind numbing.

I'm slowly picking my way through the material.

No sign of an asset folder yet.

Appreciate your time.

Do you do creative work for a living?

Rich

• 3. Re: Exercise folder

RichLawyer wrote:

Do you do creative work for a living?

Yes. I work in Cinema 4D and the Adobe suite (mostly After Effects) as a full-time job. I do some shooting and editing, but the majority of my work lately has been 3d animation.

• 4. Re: Exercise folder
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Kind of reminds me of the first time i opened illustrator.

Mind numbing.

....No sign of an asset folder yet.

I don't know what you're watching, but it may be 1) a separate download (check closely) or 2) unavailable on the Adobe web site.  Bummer, huh?

Now, there ARE tutorials on the videocopilot web site and they DO have play-along-at-home files for download which you may be able to use as substitutes.  And the tutorials themselvs are good.  It rarely matters that they're tutorials for older versions.  The only things that usually change are the location of some buttons and the look of the user interface.

• 5. Re: Exercise folder
                  RichLawyer Level 1

Thanks Dave. I looked at video copilot. Site seemed sketchy. Lots of redirects.

Maybe I was on a different site. I'll take another look.

appreciate the feedback.

You in graphic animation too? How long?

• 6. Re: Exercise folder
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

I've been using AE since 1996.  Still haven't mastered it.  Not even close.

• 7. Re: Exercise folder

VideoCopilot.net is the site you want. .NET, not .com

• 8. Re: Exercise folder
                        RichLawyer Level 1

Thanks Szalam.

Crazy tutorials. I'm wearing out the pause button. These guys are good but fast.

• 9. Re: Exercise folder
                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I love fast tutorials. Most of the ones I record are under 3 minutes. No need to show you every step for every action when all you are interested in the procedure.

Unfortunately most tutorials are slow, boring, full of useless information, and not well thought out. Video Copilot is one site that has a high degree of quality in their tutorials. Lynda.com is another.

I'm also with Dave, I have been using AE since version 1.1 - twenty years, and I still learn different and better ways to do things almost every day.

• 10. Re: Exercise folder
                            RichLawyer Level 1

Rick,

Appreciate the feedback. No doubt by the time I put twenty years of graphic design behind me i'll appreciate a speedy tutorial for times sake.

I just signed up for CC and installed AE. I love the program and by extension all it can do.

]

The Video Co-Pilot basic training series seems just about right speed wise. But i'm a touch and see learner which means i get the most out of training from doing. Too much audio is a distraction for me.

Pause and rewind are my best friends.

Thanks to all for the great advice and support. I'm enjoying the voyage and the challenges make the victories that much sweeter.

• 11. Re: Exercise folder
                              RichLawyer Level 1

Dave,

I found my way to the VCP basic series.

it's very good.

Thanks for redirecting me.

• 12. Re: Exercise folder

If you're new to AE, I always recommend this set of resources.