Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to toggle a caption?

Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2014 Mar 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am creating an HTML5 course and I can't figure out how to toggle a caption throughout the entire project. I'm using the latest version of CP7.

I have a shape button on my Master slide. And on my title slide, I have a caption that I named "help" that is not visible. At any point in the course, I would like for the learner to be able to click the Help button and display the help caption. When the button is clicked, it should pause the slide. When the button is clicked a second time, it should hide the caption and resume playing the slide. I have been able to accomplish this by adding another shape button to the help caption to close the course, but the client would prefer for the custom button that I created in the nav bar to display AND hide the help caption.

I know I will need to use advanced actions to accomplish this...can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Kristen

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set up your Help caption on one of the early slides and name it as cptn_HELP or similar. Set its Visible in Output to OFF.  Set the caption timing to Rest of Project.

Create a user variable called v_HelpCaptionVisible or similar and set its value to 0.

Your Help button will need to execute a Conditional Advanced Action that checks the value of the v_HelpCaptionVisible and if it is 0, assign the v_HelpCaptionVisible to 1 and Show the cptn_HELP object, ELSE assign the v_HelpCaptionVisible variable to 0 and Hide the cptn_HELP object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rod! I don't have the course with me right now, but I'll give this a shot tonight.

When the caption becomes visible, will it automatically pause the slide? Or will I need to add a Pause action as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to add something to pause the slide.  Either in the Advanced Action or else on the slide timeline (e.g. clickbox).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! I'll let you know if I manage to mess this up tonight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources