22 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2014 10:50 AM by A.T. Romano RSS

Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.

kvfoster Community Member

I just purchased and installed Adobe Premiere Elements 12.  I have a new pc with windows 8.1. Premiere required that I run the program as an administrator (???).  So I ran it as administrator and it starts up, but then immediately closes itself.

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.
          Jeff A Wright Employee Hosts

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop Elements forum.

Kvfoster do you receive any specific error messages?

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.
            Barbara B. CommunityMVP

Since this is about Premiere Elements, I'll move it to the Premiere Elements forum for you, kvfoster. Sorry you're getting moved so much, but almost nobody here in the PSE forum uses PRE.

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.
              Jeff A Wright Employee Hosts

Good catch Barbara thank you!

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.

No, there is no error message.  The program does open although nothing is active.  It sits for about 5 seconds then --> it just closes on its own.  I am very confident that my system is very clean because the computer is only a couple of days old and has very little other software installed.

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.
                  A.T. Romano Community Member

kvfoster

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 (assumed 64 bit system)

1. Besides running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges, please also right click the Premiere Elements 12 desktop icon and select Run As Administrator.

2. Assure that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your Windows 8.1.

3. Even though your computer is very new, make sure that the video card/graphics card is up to date according to the manufacturer of the card. What video card/graphics card does your computer use, and do you have 1 or 2 cards.

4. What is a description of your computer resource as to installed and available RAM and free hard drive space? Is all you computer hard drive space from the Local Disk C or do you have supplemental drives. What antivirus program does your computer use? If McAfee, please determine if disabling it resolves your issue.

5. Did you install the program from an installation disc or from installation files from an online download purchase?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.

1. Besides running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges, please also right click the Premiere Elements 12 desktop icon and select Run As Administrator.

I HAVE DONE THIS.  BUT TO CLARIFY.  WHEN PE12 OPENS I DO SELECT NEW PROJECT.  THEN AFTER ABOUT 5 SECONDS IT CLOSES.

2. Assure that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your Windows 8.1.

I DO NOT HAVE QUICKTIME INSTALLED

3. Even though your computer is very new, make sure that the video card/graphics card is up to date according to the manufacturer of the card. What video card/graphics card does your computer use, and do you have 1 or 2 cards.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M w/2gb memory

4. What is a description of your computer resource as to installed and available RAM and free hard drive space? Is all you computer hard drive space from the Local Disk C or do you have supplemental drives. What antivirus program does your computer use? If McAfee, please determine if disabling it resolves your issue.

16GB ram, 800GB free space

ALL ON C DRIVE

AVG antivirus and it was disabled during installation

5. Did you install the program from an installation disc or from installation files from an online download purchase?

online download purchase from amazon.com

Let us start here and then decide what next.

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.

I have now installed the latest version of Apple Quicktime.  When opening the program i now get a beginners tutorial,  but if I click on "New Project" PE12 opens and still shuts down after about 5 seconds.

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.

kvfoster

Rather than go for new installation files at this time, let us delete the Premiere Elements 12 settings file which is named Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs.

In your WIndows 8.1 64 bit, the path to the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file is

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 12.0 Folder that the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Do not detour off the folders path cited. Also, make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

If that does not work, then we will consider downloading Premiere Elements 12 tryout files from the following web site and then inserting your purchased serial number in them during installation.

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-12-direct-download-links-premiere.html

If you go this route, it is very important to read and follow the "Note: Very Important Instructions", otherwise you will end up with an Access Denied message.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.

HI, thank you for taking all of this time.  I did delete the Prefs file.  Then restarted the program.  The same thing happened except just prior to closing down I saw a little window that stated "cleaning cache" or something like that.

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.

kvfoster

Thanks for the follow ups.

If you have not already, please

1. Check the Scratch Files location and how much free hard drive space is there.

See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Files. If you cannot get into a project long enough to get to the Edit Menu, then skip this step.

2. If you have not already, let us delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

(Note: After the deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, a new Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file should be generated when you opened a new project.

3. If the problem is not yet resolved or some progress made in resolving the problem, then consider using new installation files as mentioned in post 8 of your thread.

We will be looking forward to the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.

Hi,

I did delete the 12 folder and restarted Premiere Elements 12. It took a little longer to self close this time but it still did.

I followed the link that you provided for the win64 download files.  When I clicked on the file1 link I went to a web page that said that I did not have permissions to go there.

• 12. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.

kvfoster

Did deleting the whole 12.0 Folder have any impact at all on your Premiere Elements problems?

If not, please try again to get those tryout files from the web site mentioned. Many run into the Access Denied. That is why I mentioned reading the "Note: Very Important Instructions" very closely.

Thanks. If another Access Denied, I will go through the steps with you to make sure that you are not missing one and that the web site is not having problems with its offering.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.

First, I want to thank you for all of your work and your thoughts.  For good or bad I just received a notice that Premiere Elements needed an update. I decided to do this prior to going the other route with a new installation.  After the update I opened Premiere Elements 12 and it worked!!!  I am very pleased that it works but I will have this lingering doubt that the installation program from amazon.com has a problem.  Well, so be it.  I/we are very fortunate that people such as yourself are here to help us out.  Thank you.

• 14. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.

kvfoster

Wonderful news that the installation of the Premiere Elements 12.1 Update seems to have resolved 12's opening to a project and closing spontaneously within 5 seconds.

It is not clear what the Adobe Engineers fixed with the 12.1 Update other than the generic ...corrected stability and performance issues...

To date, all I have seen is 12's Expert workspace Text Style issue corrected. So, it is good to see reports such as yours.

Thanks for the follow.

Continued success.

ATR

• 15. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.
                                      mattjay84 Community Member

I have been having same (or very similar problem).  Tried all fixes above including upgrading PRE to 8.1, but that did not resolve the issue for me - closes after startup everytime.

I did manage to get it to get it to open by right clicking on a video file and choosing open with PRE and it worked fine - added more clips, edited the video, saving at regular intervals and everything seemed fine.  However after saving my project and closing PRE I checked to see if it would work by clicking the PRE shortcut and it still closes straightaway on startup, so I double clicked the project file I had been working on and it said 'The project is not compatible with current version of Premiere Elements' (even though I had only just saved it from that version).  Now even though it will not open my last project it does not close straightaway by opening via the project, but it seems pointless starting a new project if it is not going to open it again.

MSI Ghost

Intel i7-4700HQ 2.40 GHz

64-bit Windows 8.1

8GB RAM

Intel HD4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M graphics

• 16. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.

mattjay84

From "Tried all fixes above including upgrading PRE to 8.1", I am assuming that your are working with Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Let us go through the typical Premiere Elements 8 drill...

a. 8.0.1 Update installed, apparently yes

b. Automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer features turned Off.

Automatic Background Rendering...See Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General

AutoAnalyzer - See Elements Organizer workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalzyer Options.

c. Is your video card/graphic card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card. I see two cards mentioned. Often Premiere Elements does not work with a two card situation. Have you tried disabling the Intel HD4600? But before even thinking about that, the important question becomes "Is this a it never worked before problem or one where it worked before but not now?"

Let us start here and then plan troubleshooting strategy according to your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 17. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.

Apologies - I meant Premiere Elements 12.1 (must have confused it with Windows version).

All graphics cards drivers are up to date and I have tried forcing it to use the GTX860M - no joy.

It has never worked properly for me - only purchased PRE 12 at the weekend and the laptop is only 6 weeks old.

Instead of double clicking the project to open I have since tried 'open recent' and that did work, so I have found some workarounds - but they're not ideal and not something I have ever come across in 20 years using Adobe products.

• 18. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.

mattjay84

Thanks for the update on the issue details.

Bottom line: I am suspecting an Open With directive problem.

Details.....

Please excuse the questions, but I do not want to take anything for granted

Checking the Creation of a New Project

a. If you double click the desktop icon of Premiere Elements 12.1, does the program open to the Welcome Screen?

In the Welcome Screen can you then select Video Editor followed by New Project to open a new project?

b. Can you open the program and a new project by double clicking on the Adobe Premiere Elements 12.exe or Adobe Premiere Elements.exe found

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

and in the 12 Folder are these two files. The Adobe Premiere Elements 12.exe should open to the Welcome Screen and the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe opens bypassing the Welcome Screen.

Checking the Opening of a Saved/Closed Project

Now for your workaround...You right click a video file on the hard drive and select Open With and have the opportunity to select specifically Premiere Elements 12. It works. You have a new project, edited, and you save/close it. But, it is the re-opening of that saved/closed project.prel file that I suspect as being at the core of the problem.

so I double clicked the project file I had been working on and it said 'The project is not compatible with current version of Premiere Elements' (even though I had only just saved it from that version).

Where is this project.prel file that you are double clicking to re-open your saved/closed project? And, how do you get to it? What is its hard drive save location - Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0? If so, what happens if you right click the project prel there and select Open With, followed by Premiere Elements 12?

Please review and consider.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.

a. If you double click the desktop icon of Premiere Elements 12.1, does the program open to the Welcome Screen?

In the Welcome Screen can you then select Video Editor followed by New Project to open a new project?

Get's past the welcome screen and briefly (1-2 seconds) displays the program before closing without warning or error.

b. Can you open the program and a new project by double clicking on the Adobe Premiere Elements 12.exe or Adobe Premiere Elements.exe found.

Tried this and same as above.  Also tried 'run as administrator', all compatibility modes and combinations of and tried running the windows compatibility wizard.

The project is saved on the D: drive - the laptop has a 128GB SSD and a 1TB D: drive, so I tend to save all my files on the D drive.

Thanks.

• 20. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.

mattjay84

Thanks for the additional information.

I am assuming that the 128 GB SSD is designated your C drive. Is your Premiere Elements 12 installed on the C drive (the installation default)?

Depending on your details, the answer may be to install Premiere Elements 12 to the installation default of C drive, but let us gather more details first. The Scratch Disks would be directed to one place on the C drive also in this troubleshooting scheme.

ATR

• 21. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.

Yes the 128GB is C: drive, I have only put the projects folder on D:

Thanks.

• 22. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12 start up problem.

mattjay84

Thanks for the reply.

So Premiere Elements is installed to the SSD (C drive). Scratch Disks to D, does that include Media Cache?

You mentioned in a prior post that the project was saved to the D drive. The Premiere Elements project (project file) automatically gets saved to the 12.0 Folder in the Premiere Elements Folder which is in the Adobe Folder which is in the Documents Folder in Libraries. So, you do not get to see the new project dialog where the program is doing its project preset setting work there which has the Save In set for the project.prel file. Just so we do not take anything for granted, determine if the project.prel is really going to C or D. But, from the looks of it, the program may not be staying open long enough for you to do any checking of the new project dialog via Expert workspace/File Menu/New/Project.

This might be a good time to involve Adobe via its Adobe Chat in this. It may offer a remote troubleshooting of your computer, expediting matters. If you decide to give that a try, click on the following link, and, when it opens, click on the statement "Still need help? Contact us." to bring up the Adobe Chat to discuss the topic of "Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up". That does not prohibit us from exchanging troubleshooting information to seek issue resolution.

Contact Customer Care

I will think about this some more.

More later.

ATR