17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2014 1:53 PM by A.T. Romano

Opacity drop down arrow in clip

PCNoviceMesa

I am confused on function of the 'opacity drop down arrow' on the top of each clip. After looking at the PIP guide, I am now assuming that it is mostly when PIP is used? Usually I get a choice of 'Motion" with the 6 submenu options relating to PIP I think. The other choice is 'opacity' which seems to be on/off? The only function I see when the 'position' choice in the ' motion' submenu is clicked, is that  the yellow line in the clip moves down, but there is no change in appearance of the clip. The other choice occasionally is 'stabilizer' with 4 submenu choices (smoothing etc). I am guessing for audio? Could someone explain the function of this 'opacity' drop down arrow at the top of each clip?

thanks...

• 1. Re: Opacity drop down arrow in clip
          A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoviceMesa

Please take a look at the introduction of my blog post where I go into detail about the Video and Audio "rubberbands".

If that is what you are referring to, then the short answer to your question is....

You set what you can do with the video or audio clip rubberband by your choice in the clip title drop down. How you set the choice by clicking on the tiny triangle in the title of the clip.

Motion (moving the rubberband up or down with the mouse cursor)

Scale 100 to 0%

Rotate 0.0 to 90x359.0 OR 0.0 to -90x359.0

Constrain Proportions (on and off)

Anti Flicker (0 to 1.00)

More on Position and Anchor Point later.

By default, the video clip set is for Opacity and the audio clip set is for Volume. Once set, with your mouse cursor, you can drag the "rubberband" (orange line running horizontally across the clip) up or down to change the Opacity from 100% to 0% or change Volume from 0 dB to increase the sound above or below the volume that the audio was originally recorded at.

This feature has no exclusive ties to PiP (Picture in Picture). What is the PIP guide to which you refer in your post?

If we go further into the topic, we involve keyframing which can be done at the Timeline rubberband level. And those keyframes seen at the Timeline level as white dots can be created and adjusted there. Without keyframing, the property is applied to the whole clip. With keyframing, you can vary the property so that it differs at different portions of the clip. Opacity, Volume, Position et al are considered "Properties".

Please let me know if the above is OK. If not, I will clarify and add to it.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Opacity drop down arrow in clip
            the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I could not find the link to your Blogpost. Did you intend to attach it to the reply?

Thanks,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Opacity drop down arrow in clip
              A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoviceMesas

Hunt has pointed out that I skipped over posting the link to my blog post Introduction for Video and Audio Rubberbands to which I referred you back in post number 1.

But, by his posting that note to me, he has made it impossible for me to edit post numbered 1 in this thread. The Edit option disappears in that case.

So, I am forced to put the link for Video and Audio Rubberbands in this separate new post.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-video-and-audio-track-rubberband.html

Hope all is progressing with your work.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Opacity drop down arrow in clip
                PCNoviceMesa Level 1

OK. thanks for info. I will read a few more times to comprehend and do some more practice. I will also see if I can find out what the ‘Motion drop down menu’ terms actually mean, e.g., anchor point and anti- flicker,etc.

thanks again...

• 5. Re: Opacity drop down arrow in clip
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoviceMesa

The Anchor Point is set by default to the center of the image.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7d a8.html

The key wording in all that is that

Position, Scale, and Rotation values are calculated from the anchor point, which lies at the center of the clip, by default.

Write down the default values that you see for your image and then experiments with changing from the "center of the clip" by changing the Anchor Point values, then do your Rotation for example.

As for AntiFlicker

The following is an online excerpt from the Adobe Premiere Elements 12 Classroom in a Book

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZUJsAQAAQBAJ&pg=PA148&lpg=PA148&dq=Premiere+Elements+12+A nti+Flicker&source=bl&ots=N8AzzAfNn9&sig=NLgK-GR4mn31HIW4uUHHe_xChGk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=8JckU4y zFI7r0QG1yoFw&ved=0CEoQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=Premiere%20Elements%2012%20Anti%20Flicker&f=fals e

Here is another book excerpt which goes to Premiere Elements AntiFlicker

http://books.google.com/books?id=5XjNCTvRHlcC&pg=PA257&lpg=PA257&dq=Premiere+Elements+Anti -Flicker&source=bl&ots=mV--8QSXOI&sig=nKJi5LVUAcS1ifhzdn1b2Yhrmk0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=JJkkU5mfEc KW0QHR3IGICA&ved=0CHYQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=Premiere%20Elements%20Anti-Flicker&f=false

ATR

• 6. Re: Opacity drop down arrow in clip
                    PCNoviceMesa Level 1

ATR- thanks again for info. very detailed. I read thru each and will read again as I practice. very confusing and complicated to absorb. I still don’t see answer to my question about menu marker names and their retrieval, using the screen shots I sent.

thanks again....

• 7. Re: Opacity drop down arrow in clip
                      PCNoviceMesa Level 1

OK- just saw your response to my question with the screen shots. don’t know why they were not posted. will look t your reply in detail soon...

• 8. Re: Opacity drop down arrow in clip
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoviceMesa

Thanks for the update.

Are you looking for my replies to your posts in your home E-mail Inbox? The thought is not pleasing, but could your home E-mail be putting me in your Junk Email?

Whatever the case, if you have not seen my reply to a given question, please let me know. I will point you to it (if replied to already) and/or  write again if the reply got lost somewhere.

Sounds like you are making progress and covering a lot of Premiere Elements workflow ground.

ATR

• 9. Re: Opacity drop down arrow in clip
                          PCNoviceMesa Level 1

OK...no your emails are not sent to my junk mail. I just overlook things once in a while. All being received...

thanks...

• 10. Re: Opacity drop down arrow in clip
                            PCNoviceMesa Level 1

OK . I have been playing around with the ‘rubber band’ and the motion drop down menu in the individual clip. On the link you sent to me, it says to use the ‘applied effect’s menu to work with the 5 elements which I have tried to do. When I began using the drop down menu in the clip itself, the rubber band would move to the center of the clip (I think I was playing around with rotation) and I could not find anyway to restore it to be even with the rubber band of contiguous clips. So then I looked again at your ATR link instructions, and tried using the ‘applied effects’ menu as suggested. Even with changing settings at this menu, the rubber band remained centered in the clip. So I don’t know how to restore the band to be even with contiguous clips, or even if restoring it to alignment with contiguous clips is important. I did learn that the ‘scale width’ only works when ‘constrain proportions’ is unchecked. I think I can understand how to apply settings using the applied effects menu, but am confused why the ‘drop down’ menu exists within each clip itself. I don’t understand how to change settings using the drop down menu only. And as I said I don’t understand the significance of the rubber band moving within the clip, and then not able to restore it.What is the rubber bands new position within the clip suppose to communicate to the editor?

Let me know if I should start posting these questions/comments to the user forum rather than taking up your time.

thanks again....

• 11. Re: Opacity drop down arrow in clip
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoviceMesa

You wrote

Let me know if I should start posting these questions/comments to the user forum rather than taking up your time.

We need to stop for a moment and clear up what seems like a posting misunderstanding.

You have been posting your questions/comments to the user forum for all to see and answer if they want to reply to your questions. No one is preventing them from seeing your questions or answering. You are not posting private emails to me. I just happen to be the one who is answering and trying to help you. I suspect that you are getting Adobe Email Notifications announcing that someone has posted in your thread, and you are responding to the email notifications thinking that you are responding just to me. Again, you are not. What you write is getting posted in your thread for all to see and act on.

I am glad for the opportunity to try to help. If I did not want to help you, I would not be posting. You are not taking up my time negatively.

You seem to be OK with the disc menu situation now after my further clarifications. Let me rewrite the rubberband matter from a different angle so that you will view that as successfully as you did with the disc menu considerations. Let me give your latest post in this thread a good read, and I will try for a super clear rubberband and what is under the Applied Tab.

More later.

ATR

• 12. Re: Opacity drop down arrow in clip
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoviceMesa

Often in Premiere Elements there are more than one way to do the same thing. Often the user feels one way is quicker and easier than the other. Many users consider making adjustments at the clip's Rubberband level are quicker and easier than alterntives. The following will go to this point for each of Opacity and Motion Rotation for the video portion of a clip.

Opacity (the Opacity settings range from 0 to 100% with 100% as the default no matter where you are going to adjust the Opacity).

At Rubberband Level

When you import your clip with Opacity set in the Title of the clip,

• the rubberband represents Opacity
                                • the Opacity level is at 100%
                                • its location is shown toward the top of the clip.
                                • if you drag the rubberband downward with the mouse curse, you lower the Opacity anywhere from 100 to 0%.

Opacity1.JPG

Now I dragged the rubberband from its 100% Opacity downward and stopped at 33.33%.

I know that because, while I am dragging the rubberband downward there is a readout toward the bottom of the clip for the level

of the Opacity. See next screenshot.

Opacity2.jpg

Knowing what the Opacity range is 0 to 100% and watching the Opacity reading as I move the rubberband

up or down gives me control of the situation.

At Applied Effect Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Opacity Panel Expanded

I can get the exact same results by moving the Opacity slider from 100% to 0. I do not have to be bother with

the Rubberband way and vice versa. The topper is, when I do the Opacity set in Rubberband area, the Opacity

slider in the Applied Effects moves to whatever I set at the Rubberband level. And, if I do the Opacity set in the

Applied Effects, the Rubberband moves accordingly at the same time.

Motion Rotation

At Rubberband Level

When you import your clip with Motion Rotation set in the Title of the Clip the Rubberband represents Motion Rotation

• the Motion Rotation level is at  0 x 0.0 degrees (note that Motion Rotation Rubberband has its own start level)
                                • its  location is shown toward the bottom of the clip
                                • if you raise the Rubberband above 0 x 0.0, you rotate the clip to the right; if you lower the Rubberband below 0 x 0.0, you rotate the clip to the left.
                                • the Rubberband reading seen in the Timeline is -91x-8.0 when the Rubberband is dragged to is lowest level and 90x7.0 when raised to its highest level.

Rubberband 0 x 0.0 level default

Rotation1.JPG

Rubberband 91 x 7.0 level when dragged all the way to top of clip

Rotation2.jpg

The point here is that, while you are dragging the Rubberband up or down, you should be seeing the

corresponding reading for the property at the different level of the Rubberband. Do you see the 91 x 7.0 in

the screenshot immediately above?

I am going to stop here for now and not go into a comparison of Rotation when set in Applied Effects Tab route.

My recommendation for now, if you want to Rotate the clip for orientation purposes (one that imports sideward - some cell phone users

especially run into this)

a. right click the clip and select Rotate 90 Left or Rotate 90 Right

Please let me know if this supplemental information help any. And, what are the current matters that still need

clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Opacity drop down arrow in clip
                                  PCNoviceMesa Level 1

OK. I thought I had to log on and sign in to post on forum. good to know there is a quicker way. thanks again...

• 14. Re: Opacity drop down arrow in clip
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoviceMesa

Thanks for the follow ups.

As for Motion Rotation...do you want me to go into that any deeper.

The units are not as straight forward in rotating units, such as,  45, 90, 180 degrees, that you might run into once you start moving the rubberband up or down as well as moving the Rotation slider in Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded.

And, there is a contrast that needs to be made between just rotating the whole clip versus keyframing the Motion Rotation property to vary the rotation across the whole clip.

More later.

ATR

• 15. Re: Opacity drop down arrow in clip
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoviceMesa

I just got finished with a detailed going over the drop down list of choices that can be used to replace the video clip rubberband's Opacity default.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/03/pe-rubberband-options-detailed.html

Position

Scale

Constrain Proportions

Rotation

Anchor Point

Anti-flicker Filter

Moving the rubberband up and down to get to an exact value for a property is not always easy or possible. More control for that is in the Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded. And, you might find it necessary at times to reset a particular property there rather than at the rubberband level. The rubberband method seems to shine when it is used in conjunction with a scheme for keyframing one of those properties cited above. Have you gotten into keyframing properties yet?

Please check out my write up on all this that I just posted in my blog this morning. Hopefully it will help, but, if not, let me know where you need clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: Opacity drop down arrow in clip
                                        PCNoviceMesa Level 1

Hello- I have read thru your link and will do again. It is a good explanation.  I have been practicing with that and will use the applied effects panel rather than rubber band. Also, I have viewed Chuck Engles’, Steve Grisetti’s, and Jeff Sengstack’s tutorials on key framing. Mr Sengstack’s is the best, but is for Premier Pro CS6. I assume the steps to keyframe are the same for premier elements 12. His tutorial is very well done, good visuals and excellent narrative. So I am moving along with keyframing. Still pluggin’ along with it all.

thanks....

• 17. Re: Opacity drop down arrow in clip
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoviceMesa

Thanks for the good news that all seems to progressing well. My look into the rubberband options was worthwhile for me since there were several angles on them that I never took the time to go into. Keyframing principles are the same. But some programs may have advanced features. But Premiere Elements does keyframing tasks nicely for me. The deeper you dig into keyframes the more there is to learn. Once you get beyond the  placement of keyframes to varying a property across a clip, then you are pointed to how to make the motion between keyframes smoother, faster, or slower. That takes us into what are called interpolation methods and also what are called Bezier curves. Not one of my favor subjects, but...

When all is said and done, you just might get involved with the clip rubberband for the placement and further work with keyframes. But you are on a good path with Premiere Elements, and your hard work and stick-to-it-tiveness will be rewarded.

Best wishes

ATR