3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2014 5:51 AM by Chuck Uebele

Sample all layers for Refine Edge

Yahor Shumski Level 1

Hi!

Is it correct Refine Edge analyses the edges of current layer only? Will it be a good idea to add "Sample ALL Layers" checkbox similar to the option we have for Clone Stamp tool?

refineEdge.jpg

• 1. Re: Sample all layers for Refine Edge
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It works as it always has. If you need to combine the masks, merge the channels before invoking the refinement. I never had any need for sampling all layers. Could it be useful? I doubt it because there is too much that could go wrong if e.g. different masks have different softness already and you'd erase those subtleties by using a uniform refine edge setting. More or less you simply need to adapt your workflow to be more suitable.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Sample all layers for Refine Edge
            Yahor Shumski Level 1

Dear Mylenium,

My current workflow involves creating of numerous layers to alter the original image and in the case if I need the mask of the final composition the only way to get it is to make a flat copy of all layers and apply Refine Edge to it. Not an elegant solution. So, Sample All Layers could be an usefull options, for me at least

• 3. Re: Sample all layers for Refine Edge
              Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would agree with Mylenium.  There is a lot that could go wrong and that would be very complicated to code.  Best solution I can offer is to create a merged stamped visible layer shift-ctrl/cmd-alt/opt-E to create a single layer for you to refine your mask, then just move or copy it to wherever you need it.