11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2014 12:26 PM by capone_adam

Exporting an animation for youtube at 640x320

capone_adam

I tried looking up F.A.Q but all I cound find were general guidelines for exporting. I've read that YouTube prefers renders to have Mpeg-4 and H.264 settings. I've tried all sorts of settings and everytime the animation ends up grainy and washed out. I've added an image (left is youtube, right is the exported video). Maybe this isn't even an AE issue since it is creating high quality renders for me, it's just youtube that destroys it. But what else can I do? there are no video settings when it comes to uploading videos on youtube. I've tried exporting as AVI which results in higher filesize and still that appears grainy. I even rerendered in 3dsmax at 1280x720 and exported a 1280x720 video, uploaded to youtube and THAT still appeared grainy. I've had better results using Sony Vegas which is frustrating as I much prefer AE for everything else. Any ideas please?

http://s9.postimg.org/w02wezoe7/youtube.jpg

• 1. Re: Exporting an animation for youtube at 640x320
          lornaimw Level 1

Hi Adam

Best results for me are to use the h.264 codec with vimeos 1080p setting, which would be full HD, not 1280x720.

YouTube is good at messing around with videos and making them look worse. Other hosting services provide a better service, like Vimeo for example. But this doesn't work for everyone and isn't really an AE issue either, but I hope this helps in some way.

• 2. Re: Exporting an animation for youtube at 640x320
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How are you rendering? You should be using the Adobe Media Encoder to render for YouTube. You should be rendering to the same size as your composition. You need to allow You-tube the time to re-encode the footage if you have not used one of the presets and give YouTube time to process the footage at full resolution.

• 3. Re: Exporting an animation for youtube at 640x320
              capone_adam Level 1

Thanks for the help so far,

My comp is 640x360 as are my renders. Then I drag the output video onto youtube uploader. It's been at least 12 hours since I uploaded the tests and they still look the same. I will try this adobe media encoder tonight and see if that helps. If not I might just try Vimeo but I don't understand how other people can create 640x360 videos that appear almost perfect on youtube.

• 4. Re: Exporting an animation for youtube at 640x320

That's awfully small for today's machines. It's the minimum. Just a suggestion, Always work at HD, 1920 X 1080 unless you have to create something for a specific playback device using specifications for that playback device. You'll be much happier.

You still did not give any of your render settings.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Exporting an animation for youtube at 640x320
                  capone_adam Level 1

I wanted to make my animation at 640x360, any higher and it doesn't quite hold up and the errors become more obvious. On top of that it dramactically increased the render times from my 3D package, would be about a weeks worth of rendering to do 1280x720 for an 8 minute film. What render settings are you interested in seeing? As I said in the original post I'm exporting as MPEG4 and H.264 as reccomended by youtube (and tried various others).

• 6. Re: Exporting an animation for youtube at 640x320
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

It sounds as if you have to make a tradeoff between render time and ultimate image quality, which puts the ball in your court.

• 7. Re: Exporting an animation for youtube at 640x320
                      capone_adam Level 1

If rendering 1280x720 made a difference I would consider it but as mentioned I tested it and it still appeared washed out and grainy (I set it to 1280 on youtube too). So I'm not going to spend days rendering this out if it has the same result.

• 8. Re: Exporting an animation for youtube at 640x320
                        Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I notice a huge difference on YouTube between 360 and 720. It can take YouTube a couple of days to fully process an HD video so that it looks decent at high quality, but it does make a difference. If something isn't at least 720, I'm unlikely to even watch it.

• 9. Re: Exporting an animation for youtube at 640x320
                          capone_adam Level 1

It's been about 16 hours now and my HD 1280x720 version still looks rough. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and wait another day or so to see if anything changes but I doubt it will.

I've done another 1280x720 image sequence in AE that I've then exported as 1280x720 at LOSSLESS quality (not even ANY compression) and uploaded that to youtube. It's still awful, youtube on left and AE on right. Just becomes a blur!  Even put the youtube video in question available for you all to look at.

edit : Oh also, uploaded to Vimeo, looks bad there too.

http://s28.postimg.org/xgvyi3a7x/shig2.jpg

http://youtu.be/8KMhgJdfQSI

• 10. Re: Exporting an animation for youtube at 640x320

Screen Shot 2014-03-15 at 12.40.28 AM.png

What is wrong with this again? In your comparison Which side is the desired result? What does the original look like?

Uploading Lossless to YouTube is completely the wrong way to go. You are allowing the online compression engine to do all the work and it will never do as good a job as rendering with with AME.

The comparison you should be making is a comparison of a render from the Adobe Media Encoder using the Default YouTube 720P preset and the original. Then compare those two with YouTube.

You do have some gamma issues in your sample, but that is just color management, or rather the lack of understanding or using proper color management. I cannot judge your YouTube video because I have nothing to compare it to.

• 11. Re: Exporting an animation for youtube at 640x320
                              capone_adam Level 1

I've decided to just rerender everything at 1280x720 and use this oppertunity to tweak some general stuff in each scene. I've only realised this week, mainly because I've only started to REALLY look at youtube videos, but no videos look good at 640x360. Even the ToyStory3 trailer is a bit blurred and grainy on youtube. Just not as grainy as mine. Anyway, I'm trying to figure a way to sort of disguise the grainyness using overlays. If anyone has some ideas I have posted a thread with a large render here;

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6212718#6212718

Thanks for your help all.