6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2018 10:12 PM by Rick Gerard

H264 High Level 5.2

andregross

Hi guys,

i try to render some .r3d 4k files in h264 5.2 but After effect dosent support Level 5.2. I can only choose Level 5.1.

I search around the web and finde some guys, they told me H264 Level 5.2 is only Supported by After Effects CC.

So i Download the After Effects CC Trial and try it there but again i can only choose H264 level 5.1.

Is it possible to Render H264 in After Effects CS6 or CC?

I would buy a CC abo, but i have to know if i can render H264 level 5.2!

Please Help me

• 1. Re: H264 High Level 5.2
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Have you tried outputting using Adobe Media Encoder?   It does a much better job than AE does natively, and has far more comprehensive options.

• 2. Re: H264 High Level 5.2
            andregross Level 1

Yes i do but i also can choose level 5.1

• 3. Re: H264 High Level 5.2
              andregross Level 1

codec.JPG

I have to render that specifications, and i have no idea how!

• 4. Re: H264 High Level 5.2
                bogiesan Level 4

You can search for the H.264 Level 5.2 specifications

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

There are only a few reasons to use that setting and, from what I can tell, 5.2 is practical nor necessary. Not many encoders are able.

As the term is used in the standard, a "level" is a specified set of constraints that indicate a degree of required decoder performance for a profile. For example, a level of support within a profile specifies the maximum picture resolution, frame rate, and bit rate that a decoder may use. A decoder that conforms to a given level must be able to decode all bitstreams encoded for that level and all lower levels.

• 5. Re: H264 High Level 5.2
                  VVarPiglet

Hey all I just wanted to add this since I didn't see this option in this thread. What happened to me was that the profile setting somehow was altered without my knowledge. You can find this in Render Queue > Output Module > Click on Setting (for example the default "lossless"), Video Profile > Format Options. Here in profile options Profile was set somehow to "Baseline" instead of the original "High", and the "Level" was set to 2.1 instead of the original 5.1. I have no idea how this happened, but after checking some old AE files realized the difference and changed it back. Now it is rendering as expected.

• 6. Re: H264 High Level 5.2
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Any time you start messing with the latest and greatest compression technology you start limiting your audience. OK if you want to test, but if you want to distribute you had better stick to widely accepted and proven formats.