9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2014 11:01 AM by AnnieBaby23LA

RGB mode change to zero?

AnnieBaby23LA Level 1

Having a problem with my 3rd book with same publisher. What they print from my PDFs (from InDesign) looks like drafts with low resolution, altho that was not the case with the two previous books. They now say that in my conversion to PDF, I need to "change the RBG mode to zero and it'll print perfectly." 

I see no place to do that. I've compared all the settings (they call calibrations) from previous InDd files and everything looks the same with the current one. I've selected all the 'high resolution' options, I think.  I have even traveled to the publishing co., and saw the PDFs they received from me; I can see the pixels that make printed pages look so pale and low quality, but I can't see that here in my own office with my files. They are sure that they have identified exactly what I need to do on my end. I cannot locate where to "fix" it. Help. Thanx

• 1. Re: RGB mode change to zero?
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I have never heart something like RGB mode to zero. It is ok to place RGB images into the InDesign file. If the printer wants a CMYK PDF file, export a PDF/X-1a.

But resolution has nothing to do with the color mode. I would suggest that you open your link panel and check if all linked files are ok or if some are missing. If some are missing only the preview is taken for PDF creation.

I would also strongly recommend to create PDFs for the printer with File > Export > PDF (Print) and not to use any print command.

• 2. Re: RGB mode change to zero?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What settings have you used to make the PDFs?

• 3. Re: RGB mode change to zero?
              AnnieBaby23LA Level 1

Specifically which settings are you referring to?

• 4. Re: RGB mode change to zero?

When you create a PDF how are you doing it:

• Which method? Printing or Exporting?
                • When you choose one, why and which setting do you use?
                • When you create the PDF, what joboptions are used?
                • 5. Re: RGB mode change to zero?
                  AnnieBaby23LA Level 1

Reiterating: All the PDFs I've sent to the publisher the past few years were via PRINT/CutePDF. The current one in question had the same settings:  Output - Composite RGB, Test as Black; Flip - None; Advanced - Preset - High Resolution

After the new recommendation to use EXPORT, I've sent that PDF to the publisher and I'm waiting for their assessment this morning. Those PDF settings included these:

Adobe PDF Preset: [Press Quality]

Color Images:  Bicubic Downsampling to 300 pix & abov 450 pix; Compression: Automatic JPEG; Image Quality: Maximum

Grayscale Images: (ditto); etc….

Output:  Color conversion: convert to destination, preserve numbers’ Destination: Document CMYK –US Web coated; Profile Inclusion Policy: Don’t include profiles

Don't know how this'll help solve the problem but my fingers are cross. Thanks.

• 6. Re: RGB mode change to zero?
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Probably not. You were sending RGB files before, and now you are sending CMYK. What has the printer actually requested for an output color space?

• 7. Re: RGB mode change to zero?

Why are you using CutePDF? You have with InDesign one of the most if not the most reiable PDF creator, so you should only export to PDF, not print with any kind of PDF creator outside.

I suppose that the freeware you are using (CutePDF) is producing PDFs with some problems.

You should send the printer the PDF in the output profile he needs. (I have never used US Web Coated, but if your printer requires it, you should export it. Here in Europe most printer require some kind of Fogra or ECI from eci.org)

• 8. Re: RGB mode change to zero?
                        rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

All the PDFs I've sent to the publisher the past few years were via PRINT/CutePDF. The current one in question had the same settings:  Output - Composite RGB, Test as Black; Flip - None; Advanced - Preset - High Resolution

The above are the settings you used in the Print dialog, but that doesn't tell us what CutePDF did with the PostScript file when you printed. It looks like CutePDF has a crude way of altering the PDF paramenters and the cryptic "change the RBG mode to zero" might refer to a CutePDF parameter—zero often means false:

http://www.cutepdf.com/support/faq.asp

• 9. Re: RGB mode change to zero?
                          AnnieBaby23LA Level 1

The only reason I used CutePDF Writer is because it is the only way I've created dozens of PDF files the past 6 or 7 yrs. So I automatically did the same with InDesign files I sent to publishers the past 3 yrears, and there has not been a problem until a few wks ago. Now that I know about the preferred EXPORT method, I definitely will use it.  (I should investigate why the color options even matter, since the publications are all printed black & white.)

BTW, I just received a note from the publisher that the new file I uploaded foro them is perfect. Hurray!!

Thank you, gentlemen!