• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush size/hardness shortcut will not work in CC

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2014 Mar 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I constantly used command-option-drag to change the size and hardness of brushes, but now on CC it moves and duplicates my layer. Is there any way to change this back or is there a new shortcut besides using the brackets?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you are spring loading the move tool, which is what happens when you hit the Cmd (Ctrl) key with the brush tool active.  Adding Opt (Alt) to that would cause moving to duplicate what you are moving.

Just use the Opt key and leave the Cmd key alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just the opt key brings up the eyedropper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On mac os x it should be Control+Option left mouse click and drag left or right. (size) up or down (hardness or opacity) depending on what's set in the General preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the Mac do it differently to Windows then RK?  As Bruce says, the Alt (Opt) key brings up the eye dropper, but as soon as you press the _right_ mouse button, you get the brush size/hardness control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R_Kelly - On PS 6 and below Control+Option+Left mouse drag would change the hardness and size but in CC it is a completely different function, duplicating and moving a copy of the layer you were on.

Trevor Dennis - That brings up the panel to control the brush size and hardness but the command I was looking for would let you change the size and hardness just by dragging the mouse, which is much easier than using the brackets hot key or manually changing the size by using the panel.

Does anyone know how I could change this back as there is no way I can see to change it in the hot key preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS X 10.9.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The keyboard shortcut for brush size should be the same in photoshop cc as in photoshop cs6.

Are you sure your not pressing the Command key instead of the Control key?

Your using a mac or windows keyboard?

You haven't remapped the Modifier keys in the System Preferences>Keyboard>Modifier Keys?

keys.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it working. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2014 Sep 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you get it working????  MIne is doing the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2014 Oct 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bruce please tell us how you did it, I have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2015 Nov 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, here is how i solved it.

Goto Apple>System Pref> Keyboard > and check "use all F1, F2..."

it makes it so you can use the shortcut keys for all your F buttons, and allows the brush resizing shortcut (option+Control, drag)

Screen Shot 2015-11-26 at 2.18.14 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2016 Jan 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I had the same problem, but I just found the answer in the Photoshop help reference book of Adobe:

Windows:

Alt + pushing right mouse button + moving the mouse to the right / left (over the image) = brush size

Alt + pushing right mouse button + moving the mouse up / down (over the image) = brush hardness

I am using CC 2015 with Windows. And it works! Just tried it!

According to the manual, for MAC it should be something like Control + Option + clicking on the image + moving the mouse right/left or up/down.

(I can not test it, since I don't have a MAC...)

Have a nice day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 22, 2016 Jan 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bother, it doesn't work with my Intuos Pro Tablet in PSCC. Have to use the mouse, which I don't use when masking (which is what I wanted it for). I remember enjoying the function in Ps6. Anyone have the same experience?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2016 Feb 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On CC 2015 works on mac, if you use ctrl + alt + left botton.

On mine works in this way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can this shortcut be changed to something different? It works on my mac but id like to have it on the right side of the keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem. Can't find a fix. Why doesn't Adode help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a few replies up you'll see my fix for this and explanation that it is a Wacom driver issue and not an Adobe issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sue.n.photography  YES!!!! I've been trying to figure this our for a while. Thank you for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2016 Sep 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue too also depends on what other apps you have installed on mac... what causes this issue is that the Keyboard Shortcut is kidnapped by another app and that's why it is not working as expected. I cannot remember the app... possibly HyperDock! Check your menubar apps preferences and see if any of them have cmd + opt assigned to them. Once you identify the culprit just switch it off and relaunch photoshop and you should be in business!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2016 Sep 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved! You did a good thing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solved! I disabled HyperDock shortcut!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On os X 10.11.3 running Photoshop 2015.1.2 holding down Ctrl + Option, left clicking on the canvas and dragging moves the floating Window around..
I FOUND THAT BY TOGGLING THE DISPLAY MODE ON EL CAPITAN - by hitting the tab button once or twicw and trying this will bring back the behaviour.
I think this is most definitely a bug but it has more to do with the way El Capitan Handles Window Management than anything else. This behaviour has changed since Yosemite! Where you hit the Green button to maximize the Window before... El Capitan now puts it Full Screen (you need to hold down Option and click it now with most apps)
Hope this helps!

You may need to maximize the window and toggle a few times but it WILL work... sometimes... Just very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines