1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 2, 2007 12:34 PM by Peter Grainge

company new to robohtml products

cdrovie
      Hi
      I am a Technical Writer and have always used RoboHelp or RoboHTML with companies that had already been using the products. I have joined a company that has never used an on-line authoring tool in the past. Here are some questions I have:

1. If we purchase RoboHelp or RoboHTML, do we need to get a copy for the developers along with myself?
      2. Do the developers need to understand single sourcing?
      3. Should I generate HTML or XHTML help?
      4. Exactly what do the developers need to do on his/her side to be able to display the help file on a web-based application so all of my conditional text and hyperlinks work?
      5. Will they understand the map ID's and how they work?
      6. How much time and training is needed by the developers? They program in Java.

Thanks for all of your help
      Caryn

• 1. Re: company new to robohtml products
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
          Welcome to the forum.

1. If we purchase RoboHelp or RoboHTML, do we need to get a copy for the developers along with myself?

# The only person who needs RoboHelp is the person producing the help, so no your developers do not also need a copy. RoboHelp installs both RoboHelp for Word and RoboHelp HTML. (I notice you say RoboHelp or RoboHTML and I am not sure what you mean by that. What versions are you thinking of?)

2. Do the developers need to understand single sourcing?

# No, that's your problem. You produce the online help in the format(s) the developers require plus printed documentation if required. The developers don't care whether you have a single source or multiple sources.

3. Should I generate HTML or XHTML help?

# RoboHelp will generate HTML.

4. Exactly what do the developers need to do on his/her side to be able to display the help file on a web-based application so all of my conditional text and hyperlinks work?

# All the developer needs to know is how to call the help. There are some topics on my site about that but they should already know the basics at least. They don't even need to know about conditional text. If you are using that, you will be creating different versions of the help and all they need to know is which one to use in which scenario. Once they call the help, all the links will work, assuming you have created them properly of course! Beware though if using conditional text that you do not exclude the target of a link.

5. Will they understand the map ID's and how they work?

# They don't have to use map IDs as that is one of a number of ways of calling webhelp. If they do choose to use that method, again it is something a developer should know about. In any event, it is their responsibility.

6. How much time and training is needed by the developers? They program in Java.

# Depends how good they are! Seriously, this should be straightforward stuff to them.