5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2014 6:32 PM by Trevor.Dennis RSS

HELP with CD artwork

frustrateduser22

This is by far the most frustrating software I've EVER used.

This is also my 4th attempt to get help. First day of my 30 day free trial

trying to create CD artwork on a template. It only loads onto the layer page and does not show up onto the CD template at all.

I attempted this because I became furious with the CD cover artwork that is also not user friendly. I am not a stupid man, but Adobe sure makes me feel like it!!

Help please anybody. I have a deadline to meet

• 1. Re: HELP with CD artwork
          Noel Carboni Community Member

Hi <name?>,

Photoshop has a pretty big learning curve.  "First day of free trial" and "deadline" don't seem to be good bedfellows.

That said, your layers composite from bottom to top.  Generally speaking, stuff you want to see should be on top.

Or you can set the layer blending mode of the template to something like "Multiply", where things that are dark on the template will show over your image.

While the forum isn't really the best tool for learning Photoshop from scratch in general, if you'll screen grab your Photoshop environment and post it here I'm sure we can help you get through specific issues.  Make sure you describe what's wrong in detail and what you'd like to do.

-Noel

• 2. Re: HELP with CD artwork
            DrStrik9 Community Member

Noel is right. Photoshop is not like a phone app which you can master in a few minutes. I've been working in Photoshop since the beginning, and I still don't know everything there is to know about it. If you expect it to be quick and easy, you will quickly become frustrated. But once you begin to learn about it, begin to see how it is structured, and what it can do, you will be amazed and happy.

Start here (and return here again and again):

helpx.adobe.com/pdf/photoshop_reference.pdf

Also, spend some time doing tutorials:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/learn/tutorials/photoshop.html

If you watch YouTube, there are also a lot of helpful videos and video-based tutorials there that you can watch.

• 3. Re: HELP with CD artwork
              the_wine_snob Community Member

Welcome to the forum.

Can you please provide us with the exact version of Photoshop you are using, and on which OS version?

From your description about the CD Template, I suspect that you are referring to Photoshop Elements, which is a different program (but with some similarities).

If you ARE referring to Photoshop, where did the Template come from?

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more,

Hunt

PS - If you DO have Photoshop Elements, a MOD can Move your post to that forum, which is very active and helpful.

• 4. Re: HELP with CD artwork
                frustrateduser22 Community Member

Thank you to all who came forth to give their expertise and suggestions. I guess I am officially over my head! I am enlisting the help of a friend that can assist me and I am abandoning this Addobe program. Leave it to the pros. thanks again.

• 5. Re: HELP with CD artwork
                  Trevor.Dennis MVP

frustrateduser22 wrote:

I am abandoning this Addobe program. Leave it to the pros. thanks again.

Please don't do that.  We don't know for sure whether you are using Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements, and if the former, whether CC or CS6.  Yes they are complex, but you don't have to learn it all in one day.  I promise you that you will get the hang of it sooner than you currently think, and after that you'll get countless hours of joy creating all sorts of images.

Adobe TV is helpful, and easy to follow

If you are using Photoshop CC, then you'll find a full list of tutorials here

http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-photoshop-cc/

If Elements, a slightly less organised list here

http://tv.adobe.com/product/photoshop-elements/

Good luck, as Bill said, and please don't give up on it.  Folk on these forums will help any time you get stuck.