5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2014 12:35 AM by Silkrooster

Black to White

left bank books Level 1

If I had a  TIF that was a black image on a transparent background, is there anyone reason I shouldn't be able to turn it into a white image on a transparent background? It seems no matter what I try it's not working out. Oh, CS3, Mac.

• 1. Re: Black to White
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Command click on the thumbnail of that layer. You should get a selection around your object/image. Now you can fill with white.

Another option is at the top of the layers panel are some icons. One of them is to lock the transparency. Click that icon then you can fill with white and it will not affect the transparent portion of the image.

If command does not work try option. I am on a windows system, so I could easily get the modifier keys mixed up.

• 2. Re: Black to White
            left bank books Level 1

Unfortunately, it looks to me like I don't have layers, and the Background layer is partially locked. Any way to work around that? Picture 4.png

• 3. Re: Black to White

Ahh, OK. A background layer does not support transparency. So drag that padlock to the trashcan. (If this is CC you can just click the padlock)

That will convert the background layer to a normal layer.

Now you can use the quick select tool or the magic wand tool and select the black portion. (if you find it easier to select the white go ahead) Just as long as one or the other is selected.

Now you can invert the selection if necessary so the white is selected. Select>Invert

press the delete or backspace key to remove the white, that will leave a transparent background (looks like a white and gray checkboard)

If your selection is now gone, you can now option-click the thumbnail in the layer, to select just the black or use the transparency lock at the top of the layers panel.

Now fill with white.

Just a reminder that white will only work for screens and normally can not be printed unless you use a special printer that supports white.

• 4. Re: Black to White
                left bank books Level 1

Unfortunately, neither dragging the lock to the trashcan nor clicking does anything...

• 5. Re: Black to White

Just notice the top of the document window, it says bitmap. Change your mode from bitmap to rgb and then you can unlock the layer.