9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2014 4:03 PM by the_wine_snob

Transfer Photoshop to new laptop

dark_angel

Hi there.

A few years ago I had Photoshop CS on my old laptop (yes it's CS not CS2, CS3, etc). My laptop had a problem and stopped working so I bought a new laptop. I would like to know how do I transfer that Photoshop over to the new laptop? It is a very old version but I need it as I'm not very well experience with Photoshop and I need that one to start off for learning.

I only just got access to my old laptop so I need to know what must I do to make the transfer. Also I bought the software from the company that installed things to my laptop but they didn't give me a disc that installs it.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Transfer Photoshop to new laptop
          Necriseee

If you have a CD-KEY that you can download from the Internet and activate.

• 2. Re: Transfer Photoshop to new laptop
            dark_angel Level 1

By CD-KEY do you mean a serial number? I know what my serial number is but how do I get the software to download? I don't trust most websites and would rather download it from the adobe website. I have found the free download for those that have the older version but it only goes to CS2 so I'm not able to find the version I have. Would my CS serial number work with the CS2 version?

• 3. Re: Transfer Photoshop to new laptop
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The Activation Servers for Ps CS & CS2 have been dismantled. One now needs to download a special version, and then use the Activation S/N provided. Note: this is only for owners of the program, unlike some of the statements made on the Internet.

This thread goes into a lot more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1131787

Now, if you only have Ps CS (prior to CS2), I am not sure exactly what might be covered by Adobe. With the Adobe Activation Servers gone, I rather doubt that even a "trial version" of Ps CS, from ProDesignTools, will help, as one needs the special download file, and the provided S/N, and I have not been able to find one specific to Ps CS, but it might be in one of the links in that thread, or elsewhere.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Transfer Photoshop to new laptop
                dark_angel Level 1

Thanks for the reply Hunt

Chances are it's not going to be very easy to find the CS version at all as I haven't had much success with that. As an owner of an older version, this should give me the permission to download the CS2 version wouldn't it or is that for customers that have bought the CS2 verion or newer?

• 5. Re: Transfer Photoshop to new laptop
                  Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

It seems likely that if you own CS, or even earlier versions, then you are going to be gifted an upgrade to CS2, because that's the only option.  So happy days

• 6. Re: Transfer Photoshop to new laptop
                    D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, that's what I heard. The special CS2 download with the serial number is for legitimate owners of CS and CS2, since they can no longer activate the normal way.

EDIT: I did a little search and in fact CS is not mentioned anywhere, only CS2. But I can't imagine CS is cut completely off, that makes no sense.

• 7. Re: Transfer Photoshop to new laptop
                      John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

EDIT: I did a little search and in fact CS is not mentioned anywhere, only CS2. But I can't imagine CS is cut completely off, that makes no sense.

That question (is it OK for CS owners to download non-activated CS2) has been repeatedly asked of Adobe with no clear direction given.

So, unless we hear otherwise, most people are assuming that it's OK for CS owners to download CS2. It's just not an officially stated policy, perhaps for legal reasons in case it's construed as giving the software away for free (which Adobe are adamant is not the case).

• 8. Re: Transfer Photoshop to new laptop
                        Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

John, since you need to prove ownership to get the special CS2 download and serial number, I guess it either works for earlier version owners or it doesn't.  Havin't never had to go through the process, I am not entirely sure of how it works, but I strongly suspect any pre-CS2 version owners are going to be given access. 

We are talking five versions back to CS2, so it's not as if Adobe are being over generous.

• 9. Re: Transfer Photoshop to new laptop
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

Thanks for your observations and thoughts on this matter. I have searched for official clarification, but have not found it.

As both the CS and CS 2 programs were impacted by the Activation Servers being taken down, I would *like to think* that Adobe would treat CS, as it did CS 2. However, as it was an older version, I can see some possible reasons, why they would not.

It would be nice to get the official stand on this, and if CS is not included (yes, that would be a free Upgrade, and I think that I paid US $400 to Upgrade my CS Suite to CS2), it would be great to see Adobe make a similar offer, as those programs were likewise impacted. However, developing the CS2 replacement did cost Adobe $ and time, and they actions were greatly appreciated. Many other software companies have said, "too bad - so sad," and left many customers twisting in the wind.

It would be great to get the word that a CS user could use their CS S/N to verify ownership, and in the process, and for their troubles, get CS2 (the new, special version). Until such time, several questions, and you point up a few.

Appreciated,

Hunt