11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2014 8:59 AM by RussellH

AcroRd32.exe - Bad Image error message

animalwatcher

Suddenly I am getting this error message:  C:\\Windows\system32\ATMLB./dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software  vendor for support.

I am Windows 7 64 bit.  Acrobat XI Pro from the Cloud.  It has been working fine.  I can open some, but it crashes others.  It seems to crash on some fillable forms that I've made.

I uninstalled Adobe Reader XI, but hasn't made a difference.

I am not a techie so a simple solution, is better.

Should I uninstall and reinstall? 

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: AcroRd32.exe - Bad Image error message
          Bill@VT Level 7

When you uninstall Reader, you have to repair Acrobat typically. Try opening Acrobat and doing Help>Repair. After that is complete, repeat with Help>Updates if you have not updated Acrobat that is at 11.0.06.

• 2. Re: AcroRd32.exe - Bad Image error message
            animalwatcher Level 1

I will give that a try.  It was doing this before I did the reader uninstall.

I just tried to make a new fillable form, adding fields and all went well in edit mode, then as soon as I closed edit mode and clicked in one of the fields, it crashed, got the error message, and it crashed.

• 3. Re: AcroRd32.exe - Bad Image error message
              animalwatcher Level 1

adobe bad image AcroRd32.exe bad image.JPGWell, that didn't work. doing the repair,   the second I click in the fillable field, it crashes.

I have 11.0.06   Do you think I should just uninstall and reinstall.  I can do that from the CC correct?

Any other suggestions?  When I search, it seems to be more with Reader, that is why I uninstalled it.

This is the error message I get.

• 4. Re: AcroRd32.exe - Bad Image error message
                Bill@VT Level 7

I don't have anymore suggestions. However, some thoughts on your question. If you uninstall, be sure to deactivate first. Also, do you have the install file handy. Several folks with CC have reported problems getting the install file again. I have no idea why, but I have seen those posts.

• 5. Re: AcroRd32.exe - Bad Image error message
                  animalwatcher Level 1

I see how to deactivate, thanks for the advice.

No, I don't have the install file, It seemed to have directly installed, rather than downloading in to the 'download' folder.

I don't know what else to do, this is unworkable for me.

So I deactivate, then download again?  There is no SN as it was from the CC web, I have my order #, but nothing else.  It just downloaded, I don't have any media or file.

Thanks,

• 6. Re: AcroRd32.exe - Bad Image error message
                    animalwatcher Level 1

I don't have a serial number for any of the CC downloads.  Where would they be?  I only got an order # from Adobe for the subscription, no SN, as I keep them all.  Nor do I have a download for any of the CC items I've downloaded.  They just download and install, they aren't in my download folder.  Where would they be?  I was not asked where to save it or save and then install.

I'm so confused with all of this.

• 7. Re: AcroRd32.exe - Bad Image error message
                      Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

You don't have serial numbers for CC. Rather, you sign in and it knows what you subscribed to.

And there are no install files. It downloads as needed.

BUT we've seen many people who've uninstalled bits of CC, and have been unable to get it back, not because CC says they can't have it, but because CC says they already have it.

So don't uninstall. But do REPAIR.

Also, be very worried about what did this. I would suspect malware or a disk error, neither is good news.

• 8. Re: AcroRd32.exe - Bad Image error message
                        animalwatcher Level 1

I've tried the repair, and it didn't work.  I've done malware and virus scans and all is clean.

If disk error, what do you do?

• 9. Re: AcroRd32.exe - Bad Image error message
                          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

If the disk is going bad the key thing is to be prepared. Up to date backups of the entire system or everything important.

But I've found something interesting. There are many discussions of similar problems on the web and it is always assumed that atmlib.dll is part of Acrobat. But I think that's wrong.

Atmlib.dll is made by Adobe. It's used by Acrobat. BUT I believe it is a regular part of Windows, included with Windows, because Adobe licensed it to Microsoft so that Windows could use more fonts. So repairing Adobe software won't fix it. However, repairing WIndows might fix it!

• 10. Re: AcroRd32.exe - Bad Image error message
                            animalwatcher Level 1

Ah, I see what you are saying.

I have a windows repair disk to see if that will help.  Other things have been glitchy so that may be what is going on.

• 11. Re: AcroRd32.exe - Bad Image error message
                              RussellH

I was able to fix this, and I posted about it on another forum post here.

I had this issue ("Bad Image: C:\Windows\system32\ATMLIB.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error") with Adobe Reader X (10.1.12). I tried repairing, and then tried uninstalling and upgrading to Adobe Reader XI (11.0.9), but still had the same trouble. I compared the atmlib.dll files in both directories and noticed that the file in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 did not appear to have any file meta data (giving the appearance that it was corrupted), whereas the file in C:\Windows\system32 reflected a file version 5.1.2.238 and product version "5.1 Build 238". Now, it appears based on being installed to "C:\Program Files (x86)" that the version of Adobe Reader I was using was 32-bit. So, this tells me that while the error references the C:\Windows\system32 file path, it is likely actually the file in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 that is the problem (Windows-on-Windows emulation for 32-bit applications, 32-bit libraries actually reside in C:\Windows\SysWOW64, not C:\Windows\system32). I found the same file in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 with the same product and file version on another 64-bit Windows 7 workstation, and simply copied it to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 on the affected workstation, and that resolved the issue.

NOTE: To overwrite the file, I had to change file ownership to Administrators security group, otherwise it was immutable.