1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 15, 2014 6:45 PM by Rick Gerard

Painting with just a single pixel

Ms.Sparkle

Hello, I am trying to paint dots that are just a single pixel, but am getting a cluster of about 4 pixels each time. Usually one pixel is at 100% opacity and the other are lower.  This is for a low resolution project so each pixel counts and the effect is quite messy. Could anyone please help? My brush diameter is set to 1 pixel and 100 & opacity and I have experimented with adjusting the hardness and roundness. I really want to work ask thought I were using photoshop's pencil tool and working at one pixel. I actually tried to import a 1 pixel file from photoshop, but that also read as two pixels, the first opaque and the second at about 50% opacity. (In my composition settings the pixel aspect ratio is set to square pixels. I am also using CS6.) Thank you for any suggestions and ideas! All are most appreciated!

• 1. Re: Painting with just a single pixel
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I see a lack of understanding of how pixels work, now video works, and how sub pixel interpretation works.

Do your artwork in Illustrator using snap to pixel...

Do your painting in AE at a zoom factor of 800%.

Your one pixel image from Photoshop would be positioned at a half pixel so it would be interpreted as 4 pixels. Try manually repositioning the single pixel image by adjusting the anchor point to 1

Use a 1 pixel solid offset by a half a pixel in X and Y

or, and this is my best advice, redesign your project. One pixel is nothing in video, cannot move without flickering, and is a pain in the neck to work with.

Here are some hard and fast rules. Artwork that must be pixel accurate must be created at an even number of pixels high and wide or re-positioned by a half pixel to avoid interpretation.

Small thin lines or dots must move exactly an even number of pixels per frame to keep from jittering.

Selecting Draft Quality will kill anialiasing and give hard edges to your single pixel artwork, but if it is not accurately positioned, it may disappear completely.