4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2006 3:07 PM by Jim_Esteban

image transitions

Level 7
      Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, and relatively new to Flash programming. I am using
      Flash MX, and have been working on learning actionscript for the past few
      weeks. I have a quick question that I am hoping someone can help me out
      with. I have seen a transition effect on a number of sites where the user
      clicks on a button (I am assuming this could actually be a movie clip), and
      when it is clicked, the image in the main part of the stage "transforms"
      into another image. In other words, the original image seems to fade out,
      and the new image fades in to its place. Can someone please point me in the
      right direction on how to achieve this? I would like to incorporate that
      type of effect in a couple of web sites I am working on, and to this point I
      have not been able to find any information on how to achieve it. Any and
      all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Russ Dillion

• 1. Re: image transitions
          Jim_Esteban Level 1
          I did a similar thing with two movieClips. One was the background image and one was the foreground image. I'd load a new image into the background and fade out the foreground. Load the a new image into the foreground with alpha set to 0 and then fade in the fore ground. load another image in to the back ground and so on an so forth.
          • 2. Re: image transitions
            Level 7
            Thanks for your reply Jim :)

I had actually thought of something similar. How did you accomplish the
            fade out? Is there a way to script it so that the alpha value goes from 100
            to 0 over a set period of time? Additionally, what I am hoping to achieve
            is the ability to have a number of buttons \ movie clips across the bottom
            of the stage, and an image \ movie clip in the "main" portion of the stage,
            and when one of the buttons is pressed, it fades out whatever image is in
            the main portion of the stage and fades in the newly selected image. Kind
            of like a button driven portfolio of images. I have tried to find tutorials
            on the web on image portfolios with fade in and out effects, but to this
            point, have not had much luck. If there are any tutorials that anyone can
            point me to, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Russ

"Jim Esteban" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:e7cirj$qnr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I did a similar thing with two movieClips. One was the background image
            >and
            > one was the foreground image. I'd load a new image into the background
            > and
            > fade out the foreground. Load the a new image into the foreground with
            > alpha
            > set to 0 and then fade in the fore ground. load another image in to the
            > back
            > ground and so on an so forth.
            >

• 3. Re: image transitions
              Jim_Esteban Level 1
              I wrote a little routine that changes the alpha over a variable period of time. The time base could be from the setInterval function or the timelines frame rate.