1 2 Previous Next 63 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2014 10:31 AM by A.T. Romano

DV Video Capture problem

RDFELV

Hi,

I can't see the video when trying to capture from DV, whilst using Adobe Premiere Elem, although I can hear the Audio..

• 1. Re: DV Video Capture problem
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

•What version of Premiere Elements? Include the minor version number (e.g., Premiere Elements 9 with the 9.0.1 update).

•What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac".

•Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Have you viewed the tutorial links at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 page?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

• 2. Re: DV Video Capture problem
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also, what model of camcorder are you trying to capture from -- and is it attached via FireWire cable?

We really do need as many details as possible in order to help you. RD.

You haven't even told us which version of the program you're using and on what operating system -- or even if your'e on a Mac or a PC!

• 3. Re: DV Video Capture problem
              RDFELV Level 1

Hi,

Yes using a compliant FireWire (tandy chipset) and a Sony dv camcorder TRV110E.

The camcorder works fine thr the FireWire on windows moviemaker and another capture program.

Only have this problem it appears with adobe.

Also, if I record not being able to preview the capture, when I then play back the recorded footage from adobe it shows the picture!

Using windows 8.1 and Dell 8400 64 bit with 16gb ram.

Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia mini pro

• 4. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                RDFELV Level 1

Also using adobe elements 12 and premier 12.

• 5. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I would go first to the nVidia or ATI web site and download the latest drivers for my graphics card.

You're very close -- but you just need something minor to get it working, and this is likely it.

• 6. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                    RDFELV Level 1

Don't think it is the drivers for the graphics card, as the card works fine as showing the dv's camera footage on other applications.

Just see to be with adobe.

I also meant to mention that I get this error message when I select to capture from my Sony dv when using Adobe Premier Elements.

'your camera capture settings are different to your project settings.Results may no be optimised'

ANY IDEAS?

• 7. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

RDFELV

I also meant to mention that I get this error message when I select to capture from my Sony dv when using Adobe Premier Elements.

'your camera capture settings are different to your project settings.Results may no be optimised'

Therein may be your answer for your Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit Capture issue.

Please give a try to the following if you have not already....

1. Open a new Premiere Elements 12.1 project to the Expert workspace.

2. In the Expert workspace, go to File Menu/New/Project and "Change Settings". Set the project preset to NTSC DV Standard or its PAL counterpart depending on whether or not you are working from a NTSC or PAL setup. Before you exit the final dialog in that area, make sure that, in the new project dialog, you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Settings on This Project".

3. Back in the Premiere Elements 12.1 Expert workspace, use Add Media/DV Camcorder.

4. Then go about your DV data capture firewire into the Premiere Elements 12.1 Capture Window.

Does that work for you?

We will be watching for your details.

Thanks.

ATR

http://help.adobe.com/fr_FR/premiereelements/using/WS5CDA0F91-60F1-4b79-ABF6-E9E75F498DB2. html#WS2AF26FB5-4C63-4c46-9DB3-7249558F6528

• 8. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                        RDFELV Level 1

No, still does not show the footage on the capture window, but again you can record the footage on a blank capture window and on playback, it shows the actual video footage that was recorded in the window!

Any more ideas?

Sent from Windows Mail

• 9. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

RDFELV

Thanks for the follow up. Sorry the news was not better. I will think about this some more.

But, for now, just a quick question. At this point, did what I suggested in post numbered 7 get rid of the message

that you were reporting

If you are still getting that message even after the project preset is set correctly manually, then there is a fundamental problem that has not surfaced yet.

ATR

Add On...Steve Grisetti wrote back in post numbered 5

I would go first to the nVidia or ATI web site and download the latest drivers for my graphics card.

You're very close -- but you just need something minor to get it working, and this is likely it.

Your reply to him did not sound like you explored his suggestion. If not, please do not take anything for granted, and run through

his suggestion.

• 10. Re: DV Video Capture problem

>Any more ideas?

I have NOT used either, but many say to try these for SD capture http://windv.mourek.cz/ or http://www.exsate.com/products/dvcapture/

and

I have NOT used it, but many say to try this for HDV capture http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

• 11. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

John

I have not gotten that HDVSplit link to work for several weeks now. Not sure what is going on with that web site. Please try the link to verify that it works for at least you. But, no matter for this troubleshooting, because it is my understanding that the user is dealing with DV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements Capture window.

It would appear that Windows Live Movie Maker might be a better consideration to test this DV data capture firewire than the WindDV choice...seems the Windows Live Movie Maker is used more often for this type of situation.

It would be nice to invoke DV AVI type 1 versus type 2 here, but, if the user is doing the DV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements Capture Windows, then DV AVI type 2 should be there and OK.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: DV Video Capture problem

If someone reading this needs HDVSPLIT it is archived at http://www.videohelp.com/tools/HDVSplit

-Click the 1st link under "Download sites:" for the latest version

• 13. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                  RDFELV Level 1

The message appears goes away once you make the suggested changes, but then returns again when you come out/close down APE, as it seems to reset back to the defaults.

Sent from Windows Mail

• 14. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                    RDFELV Level 1

The DV capture and preview  also works fine on Cyberlink’s Power Director with no problems!

Sent from Windows Mail

• 15. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

RDFELV

You wrote

The message appears goes away once you make the suggested changes, but then returns again when you come out/close down APE, as it seems to reset back to the defaults.

The important part should be what is happening when the program is opened and supposed to be doing the DV data capture firewire. Are you saying that even with the message gone because of your manual set of the project preset, your original problem persists? If so,

Have you been down the troubleshooting road of deleting the program's settings file? If not, you might give that a look...for your Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

We could push this further with an uninstall, ccleaner run through, and reinstall.

What is happening with SG's thoughts on the video card driver?

Thanks for the updates. Much appreciated.

ATR

• 16. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                        pizzakid13

i am also trying to get some mini dv video captured.

i am trying to use a USB connection like i used to do on my old pc. I cant get the program to recognize the device though. is firewire the only way?

PE11 elements

i just ran an update

• 17. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

pizzakid13

Premiere Elements (any version that I have run into) requires a firewire connection for the DV capture into the Premiere Elements Capture Window. What are the details of your ".USB connection....used to do on my old pc"? What version of Premiere Elements were you using at the time and got a USB connection to work for DV data capture in Premiere Elements Capture Window?

There is no update for Premiere Elements 11. There is a 12.1 Update for Premiere Elements 12.

ATR

• 18. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                            pizzakid13 Level 1

ok, i'll look for my firewire cable.

i was using PE2 so that is ancient by todays standards.

• 19. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                              pizzakid13 Level 1

found it. connected. capturing!

• 20. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

pizzakid13

Great news. Great job.

Please let us know of further developments when you get the time.

Thanks.

ATR

• 21. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                                  pizzakid13 Level 1

so far so good.

interesting that Mini DV does not need rendering after capture.

• 22. Re: DV Video Capture problem

DV from tape goes to DV AVI (Windows) or the equivalent MOV for Mac... both of which are "already perfect" for editing

• 23. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

pizzakid13

The DV AVI capture firewire properties and the project preset agree so you should not have to render that Timeline to get the best possible preview when viewing that Timeline content in the Edit area monitor.

If your miniDV camcorder was set for DV data (16:9) capture firewire and your project preset was NTSC DV Widescreen, that is your match.

If your miniDV camcorder was set for DV data (4:3) capture firewire and your project preset was NTSC DV Standard, that is your match.

You must have done an excellent job in knowing your footage's properties and setting the appropriate project preset. Good job.

ATR

• 24. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                                        pizzakid13 Level 1

i always recorded in 16x9 back then. so when i started new project, the settings menu has DV available and all you have to choose is wide or 4x3.

one thing i have not been doing with these captures is checking the "force these settings on future" since i am only capturing the one hour tape. didnt think i needed that since i am only archiving the footage, not creating new projects.

if i do end up using any of this footage in a new project, i would adjust the settings on that particular movie.

• 25. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

pizzakid13

Thanks for the reply.

A just in case note....if you are doing DV capture firewire into Premiere Elements Capture Windows, please make sure that you have set the project preset to NTSC DV Standard or NTSC DV Widescreen (whichever agrees with what your camera recorded) whether or not you have the Capture set for just a "Save In" and not "Save In + Capture to Timeline" otherwise I suspect you are getting mismatch messages?

ATR

• 26. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                                            pizzakid13 Level 1

yes, using the widescreen and no error msg.

• 27. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

pizzakid13

Sounds great.

ATR

• 28. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                                                pizzakid13 Level 1

is there a time limit on a PE11 project?

i have 22 Mini DV tapes. if i wanted, could i put all of them into one huge 22hr timeline and burn to a HD?

• 29. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

pizzakid13

Interesting question.

My first impression is "no way". But, it is dangerous to say "never". So, here is my first try at an answer to this.

The Timecode above the Timeline is represented as 00;00;00;00 (hours;minutes;seconds;frames). If you hold down the Ctrl key of the computer main keyboard as you click on that Timecode readout, you get a frames reading instead of the Timecode reading. So, you could speculate that you can setup about a 99 hours Timeline.

I set up for a NTSC DV Widescreen Premiere Elements 12 project, using DV AVI widescreen video clips. And, then I proceeded to add these clips until the Timeline would no longer accept them. I could get no more than 23 hours of content on that Timeline (Timecode 23;58;06;10 and Frames 2586000).

When I went to Publish+Share/Disc/Blu-ray

With BD-RE 25 GB disc

With a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"

Space Required  22.55 GB with Bitrate of 1.85 Mbps.

(extremely low bitrate which would no doubt compromise quality in the end product)

Without a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"

Space Required 246.20 GB with Bitrate of 20.19 Mbps.

(great bitrate, but no go because of "insufficent disc space for burning")

With BD-RE DL 50 GB disc

With a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"

Space Required 45.11 GB with Bitrate of 3.70 Mbps

(extremely low bitrate but not as bad as above)

Without a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"

Space Required 246.20 GB with Bitrate of 20.19 Mbps

(again great bitrate, but no go because of "insufficent disc space for burning")

Bottom line: Do not advise it.

Please review and consider and see if you come to the same conclusions.

Thanks.

ATR

• 30. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                                                    pizzakid13 Level 1

Interesting. I do have a 1TB external HD so I might noodle with this to see.

• 31. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

pizzakid13

What are you going to use for a disc or is all that Timeline going to be saved to the external hard drive as a file, DV AVI Widescreen or other?

We will be watching for your results if you decide to go through with your idea.

ATR

• 32. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                                                        pizzakid13 Level 1

External. One hr of avi is roughly 14g.

• 33. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Your observation on the max. Duration of a Timeline is just what I have seen, and read of, as well - just short of 24 hours. Even PrPro has that limitation (unless it was changed with PrPro CC - Creative Cloud).

For PizzaKid, the large external HDD for the final output file, will be about the only recourse that I can think of.

Also, with a 22 hour Timeline, populated with Clips (even SD Clips), the computer might be overtaxed. That is a lot of footage.

Hunt

• 34. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                                                            pizzakid13 Level 1

Yeah I thought about that. Massive challenge for RAM.it would be cool to

have instant access to all my home movies vs. getting out the DVD. PS3 has

USB port for the HD.

• 35. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

pizzakid13

Please remind me how much installed and available RAM your computer has.

Between now and tomorrow I will give this a mini road test - to file saved to external hard drive as well as burn to 50 GB Blu-ray disc.

This is one of those I would not advise things, but curious to see the results.

ATR

• 36. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Thanks for confirmation on a possible, if not practical, max duration for the Premiere Elements TImeline.

ATR

• 37. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                                                                  pizzakid13 Level 1

4g of RAM

• 38. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                                                                    pizzakid13 Level 1

sorry, wrong info.

Windows 7 Home Premium

AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-core Processor  3.30 GHz

8.00 GB

64 bit

• 39. Re: DV Video Capture problem
                                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

pizzakid13

Even better.

ATR

1 2 Previous Next