6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2006 3:56 PM by Newsgroup_User

FileXtra4 issue

Level 7
      Got sort of a permissions issue (I think) when using FileXtra4 to open an
      Excel file.

When in an Administrator account on Win XP SP2 everything is perfect.

When in a limited Guest account, the link that is clicked to open the .xls
      file triggers Windows installer and in my case it launches the Office 2000
      Premium installer. If I cancel the installer, Excel opens as it should and
      opens the requested file.

My question is how do I get around this as most of the users will be in a
      non-administrator account. The application is a CDROM application. Am I just
      SOL or what can I do programmaticly to stop the installer from launching?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: FileXtra4 issue
          Level 7
          Does that installer dialog come up if you just double-click on the Excel
          file in Explorer or does it open normally? Leaving Director out of the
          picture for a moment, do you see the problem on your guest account by
          just opening your file? It may be that you are testing on a limited
          account that has Excel configured differently than your admin account.
          • 2. Re: FileXtra4 issue
            Level 7
            BTW

Code calling the file:

fxObj=Xtra("FileXtra4").new()
            put fxObj.fx_FileOpenDocument(the moviePath & "PDF\Exhibitors\exhList.xls")
            fxObj=0

"lliinnggo" <admin@pierangler.com> wrote in message
            news:e7ch76$ouj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Got sort of a permissions issue (I think) when using FileXtra4 to open an
            > Excel file.
            >
            > When in an Administrator account on Win XP SP2 everything is perfect.
            >
            > When in a limited Guest account, the link that is clicked to open the .xls
            > file triggers Windows installer and in my case it launches the Office 2000
            > Premium installer. If I cancel the installer, Excel opens as it should and
            > opens the requested file.
            >
            > My question is how do I get around this as most of the users will be in a
            > non-administrator account. The application is a CDROM application. Am I
            > just SOL or what can I do programmaticly to stop the installer from
            > launching?
            >
            > Thanks.
            >

• 3. Re: FileXtra4 issue
              Level 7
              Let me try. Give me sec to log in to a guest account and I'll let you know.

"Mike Blaustein" <mblaustein@gmail.com> wrote in message
              news:e7chjp$p95$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Does that installer dialog come up if you just double-click on the Excel
              > file in Explorer or does it open normally? Leaving Director out of the
              > picture for a moment, do you see the problem on your guest account by just
              > opening your file? It may be that you are testing on a limited account
              > that has Excel configured differently than your admin account.

• 4. Re: FileXtra4 issue
                Level 7
                Good call Mike! I installed Office using an Administrator account so when I
                log into a guest account the system sees that Office has not been configured
                for that account. I tried to open Outlook to reply to you from GAccnt and
                got the same result.

So, is this a user issue that I can't control or can I do anything about it?

news:e7chjp$p95$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Does that installer dialog come up if you just double-click on the Excel
                > file in Explorer or does it open normally? Leaving Director out of the
                > picture for a moment, do you see the problem on your guest account by just
                > opening your file? It may be that you are testing on a limited account
                > that has Excel configured differently than your admin account.

• 5. Re: FileXtra4 issue
                  Level 7
                  I don't think there is anything you can do about it, but I would suspect
                  that you are in the clear, since you can generally assume that if
                  someone has a need to use Excel, it will be installed correctly. It
                  isn't your program that is misbehaving, it is Excel.
                  • 6. Re: FileXtra4 issue
                    Level 7
                    fantastic. Got time for one more?

news:e7cikk$qg3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >I don't think there is anything you can do about it, but I would suspect
                    >that you are in the clear, since you can generally assume that if someone
                    >has a need to use Excel, it will be installed correctly. It isn't your
                    >program that is misbehaving, it is Excel.