3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2014 1:06 PM by A.T. Romano

Error when trying to start a new project in Premiere Elements 8

MrsBrown57

Can't start a new project in elements 8. Looping error message:  "Projects created with Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Premiere Elements are not compatible. Please use the appropriate program to open this project." I only have premiere elements 8 loaded. I do have Photoshop Elements 10, but they shouldn't interfere, right? Using Win7 on PC. Any help?

• 1. Re: Error when trying to start a new project in Premiere Elements 8
          A.T. Romano Level 7

MrsBrown57

As a start, the usual drill for Premiere Elements 8 users...

a. do you have the automatic Background Rendering and Autoanalzyer features turned Off?

b. are you working from the 8.0.1 Update of the program?

c. video card/graphics card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

d. running program Run As Administration - from User Account with Administrative Privileges?

e. where are the Scratch Disks directed and how much free hard drive space is at that location?

(Please see Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks).

How long have you been using the product without this particular problem? Were there any events that you recall around the time

of the onset of the problem?

I have seen this type of problem disappear spontaneously. But too much to hope for.

Let us delete the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 settings file. For Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, the path to the file named Adobe Premiere

Elements Prefs is

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 8.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 8.0 Folder in

which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Do not get detoured in following the folder structure cited. Make sure that you are

working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

If that does not resolve the problem (and before any uninstall reinstall)....

Please do a run through of the ccleaner (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Error when trying to start a new project in Premiere Elements 8
            MrsBrown57 Level 1

Okay, that will take a while. I'll write back - may be a while. This is actually the first time I've tried the product. I bought it with photoshop elements years ago and never used it, so thought it would be fun to try.

• 3. Re: Error when trying to start a new project in Premiere Elements 8
              A.T. Romano Level 7

MrsBrown57

Thanks for the reply.

You will do just fine. And, from my prior encounter with this type of error message, it just may be gone the next time you work with the program. We can hope.

Remember you are just a post away from troubleshoot support from this user and others in this user to user forum environment.

Best wishes.

ATR