13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2014 8:46 AM by A.T. Romano

Converting the Audio portion of the Media into a MP3

aardga

I would like to be able to copy the audio portion of about 1 - 2 hrs. of media and convert it into a MP3.

Is there a simple way to do it using Premiere Elements 12? or in combination with Audacity?

• 1. Re: Converting the Audio portion of the Media into a MP3
          A.T. Romano Level 7

aardga

From your later posts, you appear to be working with Premiere Elements 12. For now, I will assume on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit since I cannot find that information in your other posts.

1. Timeline Content to

Publish+Share

Computer

Audio

with Presets = MP3 - High Quality

Since the Export Settings are for "Export Audio", you do not have to unlink any video linked to this audio beforehand.

I am assuming that this is one continuous 1 to 2 hours of audio that you intend to export to .mp3 format.

If the above is a segment of an even larger audio portion, then in the Expert workspace, you will set the gray tabs of the

Work Area Bar to span just the segment for export AND be sure to have a check mark next to Share Work Area Bar Only

in the Export Settings.

Please let us know if that worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Converting the Audio portion of the Media into a MP3
            A.T. Romano Level 7

aardga

Thanks for the additional information confirming Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit.

The how to suggestion that I descibed in my post 1 should work well for what you want.

Please let us know if it worked for you. Do you need details on setting the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar or

are you OK with the details as given?

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Converting the Audio portion of the Media into a MP3
              aardga Level 1

I selected the Expert  tab as the audio would be extracted from a number of segments.

I followed your instructions and got as far as "Computer"

I could not find "Audio"

The selections are:

Audio Flash Video

MPEG

AVCHD

When I selected "Audio Flash Video" there was no "Presets = MP3-High Quality"

• 5. Re: Converting the Audio portion of the Media into a MP3
                A.T. Romano Level 7

aardga

This can happen. I should have elaborated further.

When you get to Publish+Share/Computer/, the categories go beyond Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, AVCHD. There is a scroll bar to the right of the categories that you see. Using the scroll bar will reveal the rest including Audio.

An alterntaive to the scroll bar, is to select Adobe Flash Video so that its Panel is blue. Then use the computer keyboard down arrow to navigate down the list.

Please le us know if that worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Converting the Audio portion of the Media into a MP3
                  aardga Level 1

I continued following your directions once I recognised the scroll bar on the right. I chose to save it on the desktop, for my convenience. It sounds great!

Thanks.

The audio that was save was for the full recording period of 30 minutes.

You mentioned I would be able to record certain segments to the recording using  grey tabs on the work area bar. Is that difficult to do??

• 7. Re: Converting the Audio portion of the Media into a MP3
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

aardga

Glad that worked for you.

The selective audio export is not difficult, but you need to remember to do the two parts...the placement of the gray tabs of the Work Bar Area in the TImeline area as well placement of check mark next to the "Share Work Area Bar Only" in the Export Setting.

The TImeline phase will look like this

AudioSegment.JPG

You can set those gray tabs to span the segment that you want to export

a. moving them into place with the mouse course

or

b. moving the Timeline Indicator to the start of the segment, then as you hold down the Alt key of the

computer main keyboard, press the left bracket key [ and then after that moving the Timeline Indicator

to the end of the segment, then as you hold down the Alt key, press the right bracket key ]

The other half of the must do is putting a check mark next to "Share Work Area Bar Only" in

the Export area

AudioSharing 2.JPG

Please give it a try and let us know the outcome.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 8. Re: Converting the Audio portion of the Media into a MP3
                      aardga Level 1

You're right...it's very easy.

Now, is it possible to insert a series of bracket couplets along the timeline so only the audio within those couplets would be exported as one MP3 recording?

• 9. Re: Converting the Audio portion of the Media into a MP3
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

aardga

You can just have the gray tabs spanning one segment at a time. So I am not seeing series of bracket couplets in this.

You could do one at a time and then bring all the .mp3 exports back into another project to put them together for another export.

Would the "series of bracket couplets" be non continuous segments through the whole original audio file?

But, how about this idea.

Given you have a whole audio file, and you want only a some segments (non continuous) to go into the same one file.

1. Import your audio into the project into Expert workspace Project Assets. Do not drag it to the Timeline.

2. Instead, double click the audio file to open the Preview Window with its Set In and Set Out points.

3. Then in the Preview Windows use the Set In Set Out points to trim your audio...Set In Set Out for first, drag that

first trim to Audio 1....Set In Set Out for the next section your want as you go through the audio in the Preview Window and so on.

4. You will end up with all your trim (representing your selected segments) on Audio 1, side by side. The gray tabs of the Work Area Bar should automatically span the content. But, if not, make sure they are in place to do that.

5. Then export as before but do not bother with "Share Work Area Bar Only" option in Export.

Please give that a try and see if any of that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Converting the Audio portion of the Media into a MP3
                          aardga Level 1

OK thanks! You are a great help!

• 11. Re: Converting the Audio portion of the Media into a MP3
                            nealeh Level 5

If you're planning on creating a new temporary project to just get a non-contiguous sequence of audio just drag the audio to Audio 1 of a new project and cut out the bits you don't want.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 12. Re: Converting the Audio portion of the Media into a MP3
                              aardga Level 1

That's a good idea....thanks!

• 13. Re: Converting the Audio portion of the Media into a MP3
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

aardga

Just an add on to my post which is numbered 9...

One of the additional perks of this nondestructive approach is that you can drag your Preview Window audio trim from the Preview Window into Project Assets to be an asset in your project media whenever you want to drag them to the Timeline. So, you can do that as well as drag the trim from the Preview Window to the Timeline.

The ideas and details are incorporated in the following blog post which talks to video but is applicable to your audio.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organization-for.html

Lots to explore.

ATR