7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2014 5:51 AM by Willi Adelberger

CC InDesign file to be opened in CS4

Srilakshmi Murthy Level 1

I have files created in Creative cloud InDesign. Now, I have InDesign CS4 in my system. I am not able to open the files created in CC using CS4.

Could anyone please reply to me at the earliest?

Thanks,

Srilakshmi

• 1. Re: CC InDesign file to be opened in CS4
          durjoyhasan

Hi,

Please tell your vendor or client or source where from you got this file, suggest them to save as this file in lower version (Indesign C4 or later (IDML)). This option you will found when they save as the file.

The process is:

File Menu => Save as => select Indesign C4 or later (IDML) option from format which will appear on below save as dialogue box.

After that you can easily open this file in CS4 version.

Screenshot:

Screen Shot 2014-03-17 at 4.53.09 PM.png

• 2. Re: CC InDesign file to be opened in CS4
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Easily open perhaps, but seeing the same thing as the person that designed

it isn't so simple. Going from CC to CS4 is bound to have problems. Make

sure to get a PDF as well.

• 3. Re: CC InDesign file to be opened in CS4

Thanks for your reply.

But, I am not able to open CC file in CS4. Unless I open the file, how can I do Save As and do the remaining stpes.

Without opening the file, is there any way to save the CC file into CS4 version?

When I try to open the file, it says that the plug-in "SHAREDCONTENT.RPLN" is missing. Apart from this plug-in, there are lot of other plug-ins are missing.

Can I download and install these plug-ins?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Srilakshmi

• 4. Re: CC InDesign file to be opened in CS4
                Migintosh Level 4

The suggestion was to have the person/company who sent you the CC file do the backsave and send you another file. Also, if the plan is for you to edit this file and send it back so that the person/company could use it, they should be opening it in CS4, which they probably wouldn't want to do if they have CC. That's not a good workflow. You should use the same version as the person you will be handing off to uses.

On the other hand, if you are the last person in the chain who will need to work on this file, you can export as a PDF to send to the printer (since many printers prefer to use a PDF workflow, rather than to print from native files).

• 5. Re: CC InDesign file to be opened in CS4

Acutally, I had installed InDesign CC trial version and created the files. The trial vesion got expired and got installed CS4 ID full version.

Now, I have to edit those files created in CC. Hope you understand my proble.

Thanks,

Srilakshmi

• 6. Re: CC InDesign file to be opened in CS4
                    Migintosh Level 4

Someone will have to export those files as IDML for you to be able to open them in CS4. That's the only way it will work. You need to find someone to do this for you. Maybe someone in your community, or perhaps someone on the forum will volunteer. I don't have CC, so I can't help you. Sorry.

• 7. Re: CC InDesign file to be opened in CS4
                      Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Srilakshmi Murthy schrieb:

Acutally, I had installed InDesign CC trial version and created the files. The trial vesion got expired and got installed CS4 ID full version.

Now, I have to edit those files created in CC. Hope you understand my proble.

Thanks,

Srilakshmi

In this case you should subscribe with CC and work on with that version. You should have known bevore about compatibility issues.