11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2014 7:09 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 12 Effects-Panel not working

kekskerl

Hi there!

I've recently updated to Elements 12 (from 10) and I am more or less happy, but since today, I can't use the effects-panel anymore. When I click any effect, the options won't pop up (see attached screenshot).

Does anyone know what to do?

I'm running the latest version of OS X and Premiere Elements.

All the best!Screenshot 2014-03-17 13.37.40.png

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Effects-Panel not working
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you having this problem with all effects? Can you open Motion (Intellgentes Korrigieren)?

Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the program?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Effects-Panel not working
            kekskerl Level 1

Motion seems to be fine, as are the assigned fx, but I can't use anything below the second option on my screenshot.

I will however try to deinstall and reinstall the program now, the problem appeared today, then I installed the upgrade, but it didn't help.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Effects-Panel not working
              kekskerl Level 1

Alright, I've reinstalled the whole thing, still doesn't work :-/

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Effects-Panel not working

And this is true no matter which effect you apply to your clip?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Effects-Panel not working
                  kekskerl Level 1

Yeah, the described effects won't show up. I'm having the same problem in the fx-browser bottom-right (see screenshot).

Additional info: When I mouse-over over the fx, the descriptions appear, but not the sliders.

Screenshot 2014-03-17 18.41.34.png

Screenshot 2014-03-17 18.42.37.png

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Effects-Panel not working

Something is definitely wrong. I just don't know what to suggest though. I'm sorry.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Effects-Panel not working
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

kekskerl

It seems that you have made some progress. Please compare the first screenshot, apparently before uninstall/restall. Note that all you get for Color is Hue. Whereas, in the second screenshot, apparently after uninstall/reinstall, you now have Color with Hue, Lightness, Saturation, and Vibrance.

And, your screenshot of fx Effects/Generate/Lens Flare shows just one effect which what is to be expected. There is only one choice there. Are you saying that you cannot apply that effect to your clip?

Baseline questions.

Premiere Elements 12. Have you switched from 12 to the 12.1 Update via the program's Help Menu/Updates? If not, please do so.

Are you working in the Expert workspace or Quick workspace of the program? The answer to that might cut down on the expectations.

The Quick workspace has less choices under Adjust than the Expert. Compare

Quick workspace

Smart Fix

Auto Smart Tone

Color

Lighting

Temperature and Tint

Expert workspace

Smart Fix

Auto Smart Tone

Color

Color (RGB)

Gamma Correction

Lighting

Temperature and Tint

Volume

Balance

Treble

Bass

Audio

Gain

It is well known the Premiere Elements Mac does not have all the effects of Premiere Elements Windows, but I do not think this is a Mac Windows matter. But, SG is a Mac user and can confirm that possible aspect of the matter.

This is what I am suggesting

After updating from 12 to 12.1

1. Delete the Premiere Elements 12 Mac Settings File.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/preference-file-locations-photoshop-elements. html

or

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-element s.html  (Section numbered 3).

SG can give us some guidance on this if you have problems doing this.

2. If that does work, then I would suggest deactivation (Sign Out) of the program, followed by uninstall, ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner), reinstall.

https://www.piriform.com/mac/ccleaner

By the way, do you have QuickTime installed on your computer; running program Run As Adminstrator and from User Account with Administrative Privileges? Is your video card/graphics card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

How long did you work with Premiere Elements 12 before you saw this problem...the very start, never worked or it worked for a while but then did not work?

We will be watching for further details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Effects-Panel not working
                        kekskerl Level 1

Hi there,

I've uninstalled Premiere Elements again (this time around I've also deleted my preferences), reinstalled it and now it works again.

I'm not sure what happened, it looked like the effects were not loading properly (almost like on a website when a font didn't load and the text only appears when you mouse over...).

I've worked with Premiere Elements 10 for some time now, recently upgraded to 12, worked with it for about two weeks and as far as I can tell didn't change anything setup-wise, the fx stopped working. I've then installed the update to the latest version and this didn't help.

I do not run the program as an admin (my admin-user is a different one), I have Quicktime installed and the video-card is supporting Premiere Elements 12, as far as I can tell.

Anyways, thank you very much for your assistance, I'm sorry I can't deliver more information as to what exactly happened here.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Effects-Panel not working
                          nealeh Level 5

kekskerl wrote:

I do not run the program as an admin (my admin-user is a different one),

It's always been my understanding that both Photoshop and Premiere Elements should be run from an account with administrator rights.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Effects-Panel not working
                            kekskerl Level 1

Hm, in 2 years I've never experienced any problems running it as a non-admin. I don't see why Premiere or Photoshop Elements should have admin-rights, anyways...

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Effects-Panel not working
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

kekskerl

Thank you for the follow up with the very good news that all is working again.

Classically from User Account with Administrative Privileges/Run As Administrator has been Adobe built-in requirement(s) for

the required QuickTime as well as for Premiere Elements. So, I find it interesting that you can run Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements otherwise without issue.

Uninstall/reinstall results suggest incomplete installs but we are glad that you are now able to move forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

You may have given us a probable reason for your issue, that is, not running the program as Administrator. Please check the following Adobe document where we find a statement in support for the classical understanding for the need to be running program as Administrator

Note: Administrator privileges are necessary to install, and to perform most of the following troubleshooting tasks. If you lack administrator privileges, the installer can't access necessary files.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/troubleshoot-errors-freezes-install-photoshop .html

Without further information on your specific user account and privileges set up, I would bring the above to your attention as a consideration.

Best wishes

ATR