10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2006 6:27 AM by FabienBipMedia

how to use C++ director activeX ?

FabienBipMedia
      Hi,

i'm writing in C++ / DirectX (no MFC) and I would like to play ".dcr" files with the activeX. I found on popcap website a c++ activeX interface sample to do it for Flash, but i can't find the equivalent for director.
      So where can i find the activeX functions documentation or a sample for how to use them in C++ ?

Thanks.
      Fabien
        • 1. Re: how to use C++ director activeX ?
          Level 7
          If I'm understanding then there is no such thing for Director. The DCR file
          format is closed, unlike Flash's.

--
          Dave -
          Adobe Community Expert
          www.blurredistinction.com
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Re: how to use C++ director activeX ?
            FabienBipMedia Level 1
            But an activeX control exists for director, and is used in internet explorer (or firefox maybe) to view .dcr in browser, so there should exist a documentation somewhere to use the activeX, shouldn't there ?
            • 3. Re: how to use C++ director activeX ?
              Level 7
              If, as you say, there is an ActiveX control for director (I have never
              heard of one, but then I don't pay attention to that sort of thing...),
              then contact the person or company that made it and ask them how to use it.

Firefox does not use ActiveX controls at all (that is one of it's
              primary selling points from a security point of view). There are
              browser plugins for shockwave which is used by both IE and Firefox to
              render shockwave content. That is a different thing entirely than
              ActiveX though.

As Dave mentioned, swf is an open, published format, so the folks who
              make ActiveX controls (and other sorts of things) can readily interact
              with swf content. Shockwave is not an open format, and Macromedia
              (and/or Adobe) have not published it's complete API, thus it is very
              difficult to deconstruct a dcr file, and it is difficult to write any
              controls for it, ActiveX or otherwise.
              • 4. Re: how to use C++ director activeX ?
                Level 7
                FabienBipMedia wrote:
                > i'm writing in C++ / DirectX (no MFC) and I would like to play ".dcr"
                > files with the activeX. I found on popcap website a c++ activeX
                > interface sample to do it for Flash,

URL?

> but i can't find the equivalent
                > for director.
                > So where can i find the activeX functions documentation or a sample
                > for how to use them in C++ ?
                This might help:-
                http://groups.google.com/group/macromedia.director.basics/browse_frm/thread/a33fa8f2580db6 9f/76605a721c6df539?lnk=st&q=c%2B%2B+shockwave+activex+-flash&rnum=10&hl=en

Also, if you're using VS, if you add a reference to the SW ActiveX control
                in the Solution Explorer pane then you can look at what's available in the
                object browser (as in double-click the reference after you've added it).

Other than that, I have no idea.

Andrew

• 5. Re: how to use C++ director activeX ?
                  Level 7
                  Mike Blaustein wrote:
                  > If, as you say, there is an ActiveX control for director (I have never
                  > heard of one, but then I don't pay attention to that sort of
                  > thing...), then contact the person or company that made it and ask
                  > them how to use it.

That would be Macromedia/Adobe. On Windows, look in
                  %sytemroot%\system32\Macromed\Director for SwDir.dll and look at its
                  properties.

Andrew

• 6. Re: how to use C++ director activeX ?
                    FabienBipMedia Level 1
                    You can find the flash activeX use in the framework distributed by popcap, here :

http://developer.popcap.com/
                    (in some sources file having "flash" in their name.)

The shockwave ActiveX Control for director is downloadable on this site :p So adobe is the editor (is a dll, swdir.dll, you can see him in IE active X list).

and i found this :
                    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_12062

quote:

This product support does not extend to the use of the ActiveX Shockwave or Flash controls in other environments.

I understand that adobe don't provide support for use of their activeX :)
                    • 7. Re: how to use C++ director activeX ?
                      Level 7
                      One thing to try would be using the Microsoft Web Browser ActiveX, and then
                      tell it "navigate2("myfile.html"). Or something close to that. Myfile has
                      the html code to show the dcr. You might be able to point straight at the
                      dcr.

Timm

"FabienBipMedia" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                      news:e7btc8$1b5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > i'm writing in C++ / DirectX (no MFC) and I would like to play ".dcr"
                      > files
                      > with the activeX. I found on popcap website a c++ activeX interface sample
                      > to
                      > do it for Flash, but i can't find the equivalent for director.
                      > So where can i find the activeX functions documentation or a sample for
                      > how to
                      > use them in C++ ?
                      >
                      > Thanks.
                      > Fabien
                      >

• 8. Re: how to use C++ director activeX ?
                        inssp
                        I'm using the Shockwave ActiveX within an MFC developed executable with no problems. I am sending it remote commands through the evalScript Lingo event.

quote:

I understand that adobe don't provide support for use of their activeX :)

I think they probably mean they aren't going to debug third-party code that interfaces with their controls
                        • 9. how to use C++ director activeX ?
                          Martin Schaefer Level 1
                          Hi,

just import a Shockwave ActiveX Control into an empty Director project and you'll get a popup window with lists of all available methods, events, properties and callstrings for that control.

Cheers,
                          Martin Schaefer
                          Adobe User Group Manager
                          • 10. how to use C++ director activeX ?
                            FabienBipMedia Level 1
                            Thanks for your answers :)

I have to use the activeX "at the old way" because i'm using Direct3d in full screen mode, so i can't have any control of MFC or any web browser :(
                            The list of method and properties etc. shown in director while including an activeX control seems to be what i need :) Now, i must just find how to do it, since i have never programmed a glue for a windowless activeX. So if anyone has a cool website or tutorial to do theses kind of things (else than incomprehensible msdn documentation). For example, some other interfaces like the "_IShockwaveFlashEvents" interface should have an equivalent for director, but where do i find them ? I'm a little lost in fact :)

Attached, the header of flash, which i must obtain for director (source popcap).
                            edit : sorry for the flood, isn't there a way to put code in a lift inside the post ?