4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2014 2:13 PM by A.T. Romano

Pan and Zoom Extending Photo Duration in Premiere Elements 11

coriforia

I am new to using PE11, but have been using older versions of PE for many years. In years past, after setting up my photos with voiceover and getting the transitions in, I have used keyframes to create pan and zoom effects. In 11 though, this function no longer appears to work so I am trying to use the Pan and Zoom tool. While easy to use, it is messing with the length of my photos. I already have the photos timed just right with my voiceover, so I need the length of time they are shown to stay the same. I can't figure out how to do this in the pan and zoom tool and everything I find online with this issue is with older versions of PE so the advice given isn't helping. If I'm able to use keyframes, that would be great too - but I'm not seeing how to add them under the Applied Effects tool.

If anyone is able to help me, I would GREATLY appreciate it. I'm on a very tight deadline for work and was not expecting PE11 to be so different from previous versions!

• 1. Re: Pan and Zoom Extending Photo Duration in Premiere Elements 11
          coriforia Level 1

Ok - I actually figured it out! Just thought I'd share in case others have the same issue as me and stumble across this. I found that under the Motion tab in Applied Effects, I have to press the little stopwatch first so it shows little stopwatches next to all of the options (Position, Scale, etc) and then I can use keyframes as I normally would in the timeline.

For those who are not familiar with keyframes, set the picture up how you want it to begin. Then, put the marker at the beginning of the picture (or when you want it to start panning/zooming), click on the keyframe and you will see the diamond appear on the timeline. Then, move the marker to when you want the panning/zooming to stop, move the picture to how you want it to end and click on the keyframe button again and you will see another diamond appear on the timeline. Voila! It works

• 2. Re: Pan and Zoom Extending Photo Duration in Premiere Elements 11
            A.T. Romano Level 7

corifornia

With Premiere Elements 11 and 12, the photo that is panned and zoomed with its Pan and Zoom Tool is characterized by increased duration. It is what it is.

If you want to pan and zoom a photo using keyframing of the Motion properties of Scale (for Zoom) and Position (for Pan), then you would need to use Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/ Motion Panel expanded and its Scale and Position properties there in association with Toggle Animation icon.

The shorter version of the Motion Panel Expanded looks like

Keyframing 1.JPG

To get the view where you can see the keyframes, click on the stop watch icon to the far right of the line with title Applied Effects.

Then you will see

Keyframing 2.JPG

Are you now on more familiar ground to move forward with your keyframing of the Scale and Postion properties for your

photo pans and zooms?

Please review and let me know if you are OK with the details.

Also, my blog post on Pan and Zoom Tool might be of interest.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-pan-zoom-tool-more-than-one-photo.html

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Pan and Zoom Extending Photo Duration in Premiere Elements 11
              coriforia Level 1

Very much so, thank you for your help!

• 4. Re: Pan and Zoom Extending Photo Duration in Premiere Elements 11
                A.T. Romano Level 7

corifornia

Thanks for the follow up good news that you are OK with the details.

Success with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR