14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2014 4:30 PM by A.T. Romano

premiere elements

petterman

I just edited1hour of video and auto saved and manual saved, than my program crashed and I can't find my video. How do I find my video in auto save and what causes the progrm to crash? This is the second time it crashed.

• 1. Re: premiere elements
          A.T. Romano Level 7

petterman

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Did you have the AutoSave feature activated in your version of Premiere Elements, typically under Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoSaves.

If you did and the setting were appropriate, then you should find AutoSave files in the default location (unless you changed that). In Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, the default location should be Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/then a folder with the number of your version. In this last folder, look for

the Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder and, inside it, the AutoSaves files. See if any will open for you.

You right click the AutoSave file there and select Open With and then select the name of your program in the drop down list that appears.

As for why your project is crashing, lots of details needed to try to answer that question. The answers will be in the details.

1. How long have you been working with whatever version you have? Is this a "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before" matter?

2. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer on which is running Premiere Elements?

3. Are you running the program Run As Administrator and from User Account with Administrative Privileges?

4. Is your video card/graphics card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

5. What are the properties of your source media for the project?

6. What are you or the project setting as the project preset to match the properties of the source media?

7. How large is your project when it crashes (1 hour always) and what are you doing in the program when it crashes?

8. Where are your Scratch Disk directed to and how much free hard drive space is at that location? How much hard

drive space is there at the location where you are saving the project? And where are you saving the project to?

Let us start here, consider the above, supply the details requested, and then we can decide on a troubleshooting

strategy.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: premiere elements
            petterman Level 1

Version 12 , windows 8.1 , Dell 660,Intel Core i5 33330, CPU @ 3.00 GHZ, Ram 8.00 GB, 64 bit operating system x 64- based processor. 2 TB hard drive with 1.66 TB free

Yes ever 20 min. Maximum Project Version 5. I was able to open auto save and find my video thanks.

1.I have just started working with program, we had trouble installing. The case number was  185192877.

2.Yes, Version 7.7.5 .

3. no, everyone.

4. Don’t know how to check. Computer is only 1 yr old.

5. movie clip MPG 2.93 GB.

6. 720x480 Title safe area 20% horizontal 20% vertical, action safe area 10% horizontal 10% vertical.

7. I’m not sure, between 45 min. I am just editing, cutting out bad parts of clip.

8. I don’t know about Scratch Disk.

I have System Mechanic that does some automatic scans , and also McAfee that does some auto scans.

I hope this helps

Paul

• 3. Re: premiere elements
              P1965 Level 1

By no means am I a pro at this, but have found that storing projects, media and autosave files on a second internal drive with lots of gigs frees space, seems to work best.  I believe these are the 'scratch disks'

Install and run the program from the main drive with shortcuts to the projects to open.   This process works well for me anyway.

• 4. Re: premiere elements
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul

This is not Adobe. Just a user to user forum in which users visit at their own free will to try to help other users. So, we do not have access to private information such as Adobe case numbers.

1. You need to be running your program Run As Administrator and from User Account with Administrative Privileges. That is a classical Adobe remark found in its documents. Also, installation of QuickTime (latest version) on the computer with Premiere Elements is important.

2. If you have McAfee active, disable it until you get the troubleshooting done and the problem resolved. There have been several reports of recent updates of McAfee causing major Premiere Elements problems.

3. Go to the computer's Device Manager

In Windows 8.1 64 bit, one way would be....

Press the Windows Key and then X key on your computer main keyboard to get a pop up which will include Device Manager.

Click on Device Manager and then Display Adapters to get to your video card name. Then click on the Driver Tab for your card.

Please give the name of the card, driver version and date. Then we can help you check that driver to see if it is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card. (If you see more than one card listed, please let us know that.)

4. What I need to know about your video is...

video compression

audio compression

frame size

frame rate

interlaced or progressive

file extension

pixel aspect ratio

Let us try the following to get started in putting that video properties information together.

After you import the video into Project Assets, if you right click the video's thumbnail there and select Properties, what is

shown there for frame size, frame rate, and pixel aspect ratio? What is the file extension that you see when the video is

saved in its hard drive location?

When these crashes occur, what is the duration of the Timeline content at that point and what are you doing in the

Timeline at that point? Are the crashes associated with any one particular activity in the workflow?

5. Scratch Disks. For now, please let us know where each of the categories is directed (all to same place?) and

what does it show for free hard drive space at that location. All that information should be found under Expert workspace/Edit

Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.

Also, please confirm what you are seeing under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if grayed out).

Please check out the above and then we can compare notes as to where we are in the troubleshooting and where we need to be.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 5. Re: premiere elements
                  petterman Level 1

Hi, How do I run as Administrator and from User Account with administrator Privileges?

My  Quick Time is latest version. My video card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 8/9/2013 Version 9.18.113.2660

1.    . My video: type MPEG, file size 2.9GB, Image size 720 x 480, frame rate 29.97, Service Audio Format 48000HZ-Compressed- Stereo, Project Audio Format: 48000HZ-32 bit floating point-Stereo, Total Duration :01.00.57.11, Pixel Aspect Ratio 0.9091, File Path c:\Users\Paul\video\ 1994\jan 8 1994 takeout camper jul 1.

2.    When the crashes occur I am trimming or cutting clips. I have done 2 more videos without any crashes, on the last one when I was transferring from my VSH tape to my computer using my Diamond one touch video capture I got this message after 1 min:”Honest Technology-Encoder Internal Error R:Video2” and when I retransferred the video I couldn’t open it until I activated a new Codex Key encoder activator 7242-0F55. It works now. I am getting some pauses when I am editing, I was getting them before also.

3.    Scratch Disk: Captured Video (same as Project). Path C:\user…dobe\premiereElements\12\ 1.67TB. Captured Audio. (Same as Project). Path c:\dobePremiereElements\12\. Video Preview (Same as Project). Path (Same ).Media Cache (custom) Path c:\users…ata\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements\12. Disk Encoding (Same as Project). Path C:\Users\dobe\PremiereElementst\12

Setting, General: Editing Mode DV-NTSC. Time Base 29.97 frames\second. Frame size 720 H x 480 V. Pixels Aspect Ratio(DI/DVNTSC widescreen 16:9(1.2121). Fields: Lower Field First. Display Format (30FPS Drop_Frame Time Code. Title Safe Area 20 H 20 V. Action Safe Area 10 H 10 V. Audio-Sample Rate 48000HZ. Display Format-(Audio Samples)

I will disable my McAfee and System Mechanic and unplug my internet.

I hope this will help

Paul

• 6. Re: premiere elements
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>How do I run as Administrator

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 (Encore + "All" Premiere... including Elements)

• 7. Re: premiere elements
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul,

You wrote

How do I run as Administrator and from User Account with administrator Privileges?

I will give you the answers to that are specific to your Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Run As Administrator

a. Right click the Premiere Elements 12 icon on your computer desk and select Run As Administrator.

or

b. Right click the Premiere Elements 12 icon on your computer desk and select Properties and then its Compatibility Tab.

In the Compatibility Tab section, put a check mark next to Run this program as an administrator.

User Account with Administrative Privileges

a. Window Key+X of the computer main keyboard and then select Control Panel from the pop up list that appears.

b. The go to the Control Panel's "User Accounts and Family Safety" and click on that title. Then click on "User Accounts" title in the page that next appears.

c. You should now see the User Account(s) characterized by

Name

Local Account or Microsoft Account

Administrator

Password protected

If you see Administrator there and you are using that account from which to run your program, then you are OK with regard to "from User Account with Administrative Privileges".

I will answer the rest of your questions in a little while, but I did want to give you the specific answer to your first question first.

Thanks.

ATR

If you cannot find the Windows Key for the Windows X Key to the Control Panel, the just go to the Metro Apps area of the operating system and type Control Panel to bring it up for selection Control Panel on the right side of the interface.

• 8. Re: premiere elements
                        petterman Level 1

Hi, Had another shut down. I did 1hour and 40 min of editing, just cutting clips ,I saved every 10 min, on the last 7 min I was just going to save and the program shut down, so I only had to redo the last 7 min. I had my McAffe unabled and my system Mechanic unabled also my internet unplugged.

• 9. Re: premiere elements
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

petterman

Sorry about the shut down. But, is your situation as of post 8 better than before, same, or worse?

Are you still getting Administrator messages?

Other than the duration and the amount of work Timeline-wise, was there anything different at the last 7 min mark?

a. more tracks involved

b. different effects and transitions

c. any presence of very thin vertical black lines scattered about the content (these "leftovers" seen when Timeline is zoomed in on - for zoomed in see -+ slider above Timeline)

ATR

• 10. Re: premiere elements
                            petterman Level 1

I don’t think it is same . I am running as Administrator. I am running in quick mode and it was the same for the last 7 min as the rest of the tape. Have you checked if I have updated video card. I went on web site and tried to download 3 updates but none would install.

• 11. Re: premiere elements
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

petterman

Thanks for the update.

Did you ever say what brand video card your computer uses and how many cards it uses?

Is it possible to contact the Tech Service of the video card or computer manufacturer to get input on possible updates for your present video card...or reasons why other 3 updates would not install? Did you do the updates with antivirus and firewalls turned Off?

ATR

• 12. Re: premiere elements
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

From Reply #5:

My video card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 8/9/2013 Version 9.18.113.2660

No mention, however, of multiple GPU's.

Hunt

• 13. Re: premiere elements
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

petterman

Let us give a look at the video card and those 3 updates that will not install. There is something that needs ruling in or out here in this regard and/or explaining.

In post 5, you point out....

My video card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 8/9/2013 Version 9.18.113.2660

Also, you point out that your Premiere Elements 12 is on Windows 8.1 64 bit computer (post 2).

When you go to Device Manager/Dispay Adapters, is that information confirmed there (as well as the driver version date and number)?

If so, I am having a problem with your NVIDIA information as posted.

If I go to the NVIDIA web site, and plug in the information, I come up with latest driver

GeForce 335.23 Driver

Version: 335.23  WHQL
                                  Release Date: 2014.3.10
                                  Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Windows 8 64-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit
                                  Language: English (US)
                                  File Size: 232.00 MB

Based on

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Could you please explain where I might be misinterpreting your information. This might be an important matter to explore with NVIDIA? I think that this becomes relevant especially when you say that you cannot update what you have.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this and all information NVIDIA can supply regarding its video card in your computer.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: premiere elements
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I was aware of that. I was after brand names of multiple cards if they existed.

I was wondering if the card information was from a second card since the date and version number did not seem in sync

with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 that was mentioned.

petterman's reply should clarify matters.

ATR