25 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2014 9:36 AM by Szalam

Rendering Error

Vsafe

I can't render my project, getting this error: "After Effects error: Motion Tile cannot allocate a buffer larger then 30000 pixels in either dimension. (516) (25 :: 56)." Please help!!!

• 1. Re: Rendering Error
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have run out of memory. What are your Composition settings? What are the Composition>Advanced>Samples Per Frame and Adaptive Sample Limit settings? When do you get the crash? What codec are you using to render? There are a lot of questions that need to be answered before I can give you any more suggestions.

• 2. Re: Rendering Error
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In addition to Rick's questions, what assets are in your project? Any large JPEG's, PSD's, etc.?

• 3. Re: Rendering Error
              Vsafe Level 1

Samples per frame: 16

Adaptive Sample Limit: 128

My project is 50 second long. AE renders only 20 seconds of it and then gives the error.

I am using a quick time Apple ProRes 422 (LT) codec

• 4. Re: Rendering Error
                Vsafe Level 1

And yes, I am also using some JPEGs and Mov. files. 

• 5. Re: Rendering Error
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What exact version of After Effects? What operating system (with exact version number)?

• 6. Re: Rendering Error
                    Vsafe Level 1

I am using AE CC in Mac OS X version 10.9.2

• 7. Re: Rendering Error

What exact version number of AE CC?

Also, what size are your JPEGs?

Specifically, what size are the JPEGs to which you've applied the Motion Tile effect and what were that effect's settings?

• 8. Re: Rendering Error
                        Vsafe Level 1

Sorry, I am not using any JPEGs, only 11 Quick Time movie files (as big as 91,708,695 bytes (91.7 on disk)). Also, one MP3 file (2.7 MB on disck) and bunch of shapes and texts. AE CC version I have is 12.2.1.5    

• 9. Re: Rendering Error

I was more interested in the pixel dimensions of the various files.

What assets have you applied the Motion Tile effect to? What are the pixel dimensions of those assets? And what were the settings you used in the Motion Tile effect?

• 10. Re: Rendering Error
                            Vsafe Level 1

Dude, if I knew all this, I wouldn't be asking the question I asked. Thanks for the "help".

• 11. Re: Rendering Error
                              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

size of your jpegs means pixel dimensions not file size. That's what matters. It sounds to me like you are using images that are way bigger than they need to be.

• 12. Re: Rendering Error

Vsafe wrote:

Dude, if I knew all this, I wouldn't be asking the question I asked. Thanks for the "help".

Wait, you don't know how to see what effects you've applied in your project?

Did you create this project or is this a template that you purchased?

If you don't know which layers have the Motion Tile effect, you can click on the layers to see what effects are applied. In the effects panel, you can also see the settings for that effect.

If you don't know what size your videos are, the project panel will tell you that information when you click on the videos therein.

Although, if you don't know how to look at what effects have been applied and you don't even know how to tell what size your videos are, you really need to start here to learn the basics of After Effects.

• 13. Re: Rendering Error
                                  Vsafe Level 1

Yes, I have purchased a template. And I tried to render that tamplete only with its own assets and I still get that error. If there any ways I can lower the pixels or anything else?    

• 14. Re: Rendering Error

Which template was this?

You will probably have to dig through the project and look at all of the layers and disable the effects on them until you find the culprit. Working with a copy of the project, you might just delete whole compositions or layers (depending on how it's laid out) and try rendering until it works. Then you'll know which comp (or layer) needs attention.

I seem to recall there being an issue with someone else who downloaded a template and, for some reason, CC Lightburst (or one of the similarly named CC effects) was being used in an odd way that caused a similar error.

• 15. Re: Rendering Error
                                      Vsafe Level 1

Is there any way I can just check the info for each asset have been used for that templat?

• 16. Re: Rendering Error

If you're asking for some automated way to figure out what is causing the problem, there isn't one.

You're going to have to go through it and look at it yourself.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that you have CC Light Burst on a 3d layer somewhere in there, but we can't know because you're the only one who can see the project.

What template is this that you're struggling with? Perhaps if we could see which one it is, we might have some better ideas.

• 17. Re: Rendering Error
                                          Vsafe Level 1

I can't find it. I don't even remember where I got it from. Also, when I open it, I get this text box: "this project must be converted from version 8.0 (Macintosh Intel). Standard Definition pixel aspect ratios will be updated for compatibility and improved accuracy. The original file will be unchanged." And there's only one option, to click "ok".  

• 18. Re: Rendering Error
                                            Vsafe Level 1

Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 11.40.07 AM.png

• 19. Re: Rendering Error
                                              Vsafe Level 1

Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 11.43.26 AM.png

• 20. Re: Rendering Error
                                                Vsafe Level 1

Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 11.54.28 AM.png

• 21. Re: Rendering Error

Wow, that is an old project file. CC is version 12, so that's four versions back! That was a couple of versions before AE switched from being a 32-bit program to being 64-bit.

If I were in your position, I would go through all of the precomps and click on all of the layers in them and see if any of them are using the Motion Tile effect. If so, I would turn it off on every layer I found it on and try rendering again. If it renders with no errors, I'd go back through and turn the effects on one-by-one until I found which one was causing the problem and then I'd try to tweak the settings or figure out a different way to do what it's doing. I would also check the scale of the layers. It's possible that a layer was accidentally scalled too small and then someone tried using Motion Tile to compensate for it.

1 person found this helpful
                                                  • 22. Re: Rendering Error
                                                    Vsafe Level 1

Well there're about 10 motion tile effects in that template. I deleted them and render works fine. But is there any way I can render it with all those effects? Can I reduce dimentions, maybe?  

• 23. Re: Rendering Error

Vsafe wrote:

Well there're about 10 motion tile effects in that template. I deleted them and render works fine. But is there any way I can render it with all those effects? Can I reduce dimentions, maybe? 

Motion Tile is trying to make something extremely large at some point. At least one of those effects is going over the top. Without seeing the project, I can't give you much more help other than that you should try to tweak the project as much as you can with those layers using Motion Tile. See if you can narrow down which of the layers is causing the issue and work on it/them.

• 24. Re: Rendering Error
                                                        Vsafe Level 1

Hey! I would like to thank you for your help and specially for your patience. I finally rendered it. Million thanks!!!!

• 25. Re: Rendering Error

No problem. Glad you got it working!