2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2014 8:51 PM by Xena_Angel

Installing Flash Player 12 on Windows Server 2008 R2 X64 with IE 8

Xena_Angel

I have an app that runs on Windows Server 2008 R2 X64 that requires Flash Player 12. When I try to install Flash Player 12 it says that Windows Server R2 X64 is not supported by way of eliminating it from the list of supported operating systems. When I do a search I can find many people who indicate they have it running or explain "hacks" to get it running. Since the app requires it there is an implimcation that it should be running on this OS. What is the offical word on this?  This is a production server and I really don't want an "unsupported hack" running in this environment. Is there a supported means of having Flash Player 12 run on Windows Server 2008 R2 X64 with IE8 even if it is within the 32 bit version of the browser?

• 1. Re: Installing Flash Player 12 on Windows Server 2008 R2 X64 with IE 8
          Mike M Level 6

Server 2008 (x86) is supported, and I had an x64 machine set up last month that had FP12 installed and running in IE and Firefox. 64 bit IE wouldn't run it for some reason, but the 32 bit did. It installed in C/Windows/System32/Macromed/Flash and C/Windows/SysWOW64/Macromed/Flash, but I was unable to get the ActiveX plug-in to enable outside of 32 bit IE.

I also set up a Server 2012 machine that DID support the x64 ActiveX, but that's probably not an option for you.

Like you, I'd be leery of "hacks" to get it to run as an x64 pkug-in, as it may have unintended and undesired consequences in other areas.

• 2. Re: Installing Flash Player 12 on Windows Server 2008 R2 X64 with IE 8
            Xena_Angel Level 1

Thank you. I was able to get the Active X version installed and working in IE 32-bit. That will work for this customer and software application. Not 100% sure how I did it. I had to try several times before I got it working.

Good to know about the Server 2012. I am setting up four new 2012 servers this week and I am sure Adobe Flash will come up soon or later. Might as well figure out sooner vs. later and get it documented.

Thank you!