4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2014 10:56 AM by Roger Breton

Cannot access iPad or other tablets presets when creating Alternate Layouts

Roger Breton Level 1

I'm all for repurposing but here's what bugs me. Suppose I create a cover for some magazine. Next, I'd like to create an Alternate Layout to see how the design would look on a tablet device. Fair? Suppose the Cover size is standard letter size. When I launch the Create Alternate Layout command, the size menu only lists "print-based" formats like Tabloid or Legal or A4 and so on. Why, on earth, wouldn't the "Digital Publishing"-oriented size not be listed there? Like Surfacei or Pad or Android or Kindle or Xoom? I mean, what's the point of this command? I have no choice but to choose "Custom" and enter 1024 pixels by 768 pixels, for instance. Yet, when I'm done typing, InDesign CC immediately converts to some equivalent "inches", like 14 some odd inches by whatever? It is unable to retain my custom units? Why?

I'm curious to know what rule is applied to convert between these units systems at this point? Is it standard 72dpi? I can't figure this out.

Another thing that bugs me in Creating Alternate Layout is the business of Bleeds. Suppose again, in my Cover design, that I use the standard 0.25" bleed margins, how can I get rid of them in the Alternate Layouts I create? Suppose again for a tablet design? I have not found a way to tell InDesign about resetting the bleeds on that Alternate Layouts. The net effect is that, the generated alternate layout looks silly on screen, with its stupid red guides that extends all around the page.

So that's my question. Thank's.

• 1. Re: Cannot access iPad or other tablets presets when creating Alternate Layouts
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The assumption is that a document will either be used for Print or for Digital Publishing or for Web. That is determined by the Intent you choose when you created your document.

Intent.jpg

If you choose Print intent, print-based sizes are offered by default. The default unit is picas. The colors in the Swatches panel are CMYK.

If you choose Digital Publishing, tablet/smartphone sizes are offered. The default unit is pixels. The colors in the Swatches panel are RGB.

If you want to change the default units from inches to pixels for the current document, right-click on the ruler (View > Show Rulers) and choose a new default unit. If you want to set units for all future documents, set it in Preferences > Units & Increments when no document is open.

You can also set up document presets either from the New dialog, or from File > Document Presets > Define which make it easier to always include bleeds, or never include bleeds for certain document sizes.

• 2. Re: Cannot access iPad or other tablets presets when creating Alternate Layouts
            Roger Breton Level 1

"The assumption is that a document will either be used for Print or for Digital Publishing or for Web".

So, it is an either or proposition.

I probably have a fantasy or a grossly preconceived notion of what Alternate Layouts are all about.
            But blame it on Terry White and the other "evangelists", in AdobeTV and Tutorial videos who position this feature with the very purpose of doing a Print to Web to Digital Publishing workflow. It a user *has* to chose, at the onset, the intent of a given document then, this feature, in my eyes, has limited value.

I confess I'm not knowledgeable in all of Adobe's new products, in particular those designed specifically to "port" content from one type of media to another, like from Print to Digital. It's entirely possible that Adobe already has a solution for this "problem", that many, in the print business face, day in day out. I gather that if InDesign was actually delivering on this functionality, maybe it would actually be cannibalizing Adobe's other products, that are specifically designed with this functionality in mind?

So, I won't say that this feature is broken but as far as allowing a true "purpose-independent" kind of workflow, we'll say that Alternate Layouts will allow "portability" within one kind of media or another, not accross various media types.

Thank's Steve, for your patient and kind help.

• 3. Re: Cannot access iPad or other tablets presets when creating Alternate Layouts
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Alternate layouts are one of those features that demo really well, but in real world use, they’re not worth the bother.