9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2006 5:44 AM by Newsgroup_User

Complicated thng (get data from other PC automatically).

Level 7
      Hello:

I need to know when a record is inserted in a database in other PC from a
      LAN, so I can do other things (play a game, etc..). Is possible this
      interactivity with third party application?
      Any Xtras?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Complicated thng (get data from other PC automatically).
          Level 7
          > I need to know when a record is inserted in a database in other PC from a
          > LAN, so I can do other things (play a game, etc..). Is possible this
          > interactivity with third party application?
          > Any Xtras?

Check the database for new records as often as needed.
          To make a direct connection to the database you'll need an xtra.
          There are plenty here:
          http://www.updatestage.com/products_table.html#Database

another resource that lists xtras for director - including database:
          http://www.xtrasy.com/

• 2. Re: Complicated thng (get data from other PC automatically).
            Level 7
            ^ last reply was sent to early...

A kind of automatic way to find if a record is inserted, is to use a timer
            that is set to make the interval (seconds/minutes or ?) between calls to the
            database.

• 3. Re: Complicated thng (get data from other PC automatically).
              Level 7
              Thank you:
              I don't understand what you say, can explain me more?
              Remember that third party application I cannot manipulate, the only I need
              for this application is to get records when are inserted.

"Anders Skov" <anders.nospam@avn
              atura.nospamhere.dk> escribi� en el mensaje
              news:e7cgfb$o69$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >^ last reply was sent to early...
              >
              > A kind of automatic way to find if a record is inserted, is to use a timer
              > that is set to make the interval (seconds/minutes or ?) between calls to
              > the database.
              >
              >
              >

• 4. Re: Complicated thng (get data from other PC automatically).
                Level 7
                >>I don't understand what you say, can explain me more?

Well, I did not say a lot :)
                I assume that you have a Director applicaton that needs to get information
                from a database. The database is on another pc. Correct?
                So, all I say is:
                - Make a connetion to the database
                - Check for new records, as often as neded

>>Remember that third party application I cannot manipulate

I assume that you ask questions for Director/lingo (?)

Notice that most xtras - also database xtras - can be tested/used in
                authoring mode, so test and try untill you find a solution that works for
                you.
                I think you have to be more specific, and explain exactly where the problem
                is.....

• 5. Re: Complicated thng (get data from other PC automatically).
                  Level 7
                  Ok, thank you:
                  I'll explain my project:

In a Bar (brewery "drinking") I am developing an application that control
                  drinks of beer, this is made automatically by liquids controller, but other
                  drinks like Coke, Lemmon, etc. must be control with third party application
                  (this is a TPV control of store, management, pay bill,etc..).

Every time people drink (beer or anything else) I shut a game, publicity,
                  and more .. So, I have no idea when the waiter introduce a new record in the
                  TPV application.

Try access to the TPV database every x time I think this would restrain my
                  game.

That's almost all.

Thank you again.

• 6. Re: Complicated thng (get data from other PC automatically).
                    Level 7
                    Ok.
                    If it is not an option to get the information you need from the terminal,
                    every time a record is inserted, but you have access to the db - then all I
                    can think of, is to test the db as often as needed. It can be a balance to
                    find the right interval - but a simple call to a db, does not take that many
                    resources from an application.
                    Can't the developer of the terminal software help you out here? Any kind of
                    message/signal that Director can recieve, when there is input on the
                    terminal, would be a better solution.

• 7. Re: Complicated thng (get data from other PC automatically).
                      Level 7
                      Thank you.

Yes, I am trying to decide what is the correct terminal software to talk
                      with developer and help me.

I have thinking if can I check the size or date when database is modify? Can
                      I get an automatic response with other Xtras?
                      Many, many thanks ro your help.

"Anders Skov" <anders.nospam@avnatura.nospamhere.dk> escribi� en el mensaje
                      news:e7dor7$9g7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Ok.
                      > If it is not an option to get the information you need from the terminal,
                      > every time a record is inserted, but you have access to the db - then all
                      > I can think of, is to test the db as often as needed. It can be a balance
                      > to find the right interval - but a simple call to a db, does not take that
                      > many resources from an application.
                      > Can't the developer of the terminal software help you out here? Any kind
                      > of message/signal that Director can recieve, when there is input on the
                      > terminal, would be a better solution.
                      >

• 8. Re: Complicated thng (get data from other PC automatically).
                        Level 7
                        > Yes, I am trying to decide what is the correct terminal software to talk
                        > with developer and help me.

In that industry, they are used to communicate with a lot of devices. If you
                        could get a string into a serialport on your setup, for each update, then
                        you are on the way.

> I have thinking if can I check the size or date when database is modify?

That is possible, depending on the type of db. That might even be faster
                        than sending a query to the db. Check out the free fileXtra4 here:
                        http://homepage.mac.com/klkersten/xtras/index.html
                        Use fx_FileGetModNumber to check for modificationtime

• 9. Re: Complicated thng (get data from other PC automatically).
                          Level 7
                          Thank you very much.
                          I'll try it
                          Best regards