15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2014 8:07 AM by A.T. Romano

Can not burn a Blu-ray disc

maylro22

The problem: Can not burn a Blu-ray disc.

I open Premiere Elements 12 and load my project and then go to “publish and share” my project, I select "create Disc – Burn DVD, Blu-ray and AVCHD disc", I select "Blu-ray", the disc location and settings box opens and the “status” setting indicates "Media not present”.  I know the Pioneer Blu-ray BDR-2208 drive works properly because I have already published regular DVDs in it and had no problems.  I thought perhaps it was a problem with the initializing of the disc whether you choose (Mastered) as opposed to (Live File System). Neither works. I tired Phillips BD-R disc & Memorex BD-RE disc, neither works.  The only thing I noticed was the burner location setting is indicating a Pioneer BDR-208M burner rather than a Pioneer BDR-2208 burner. Could this be the problem? Remember that burner will burn regular DVD's.  Does Premiere Elements 12 require some other additional software on my computer to burn a Blu-ray disc?  Also is there a list of compatible Blu-ray burners? BTW I am using Windows 8.1.

• 2. Re: Can not burn a Blu-ray disc
          Barbara B. Level 7

I'll move this to the PRE forum for you so you don't have to repost. They can give you much better advice than we can here in the PSE forum.

• 3. Re: Can not burn a Blu-ray disc
            maylro22 Level 1

Thanks for your quick response.  The one thing that is baffling to me is that when a DVD disc is placed in that burner the media is recognized; however, when a Blu-ray disc is placed in the drive the media is not recognized.  I have already copy the project to a file and I will attempt to burn a Blu-ray from the file.

• 4. Re: Can not burn a Blu-ray disc
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That burner is a couple years old, so maybe it isn’t fully compatible with Windows 8.1 or there are newer drivers.

Have you tried the PowerDVD software that came with it to see if it’ll recognize the media?  Is this software updated to the latest version for Windows 8.1?

Have you tried to update the drive’s firmware to the latest? 

Here is the Pioneer webpage for the drive:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Computer/Computer+Drives/BDR-2208

• 5. Re: Can not burn a Blu-ray disc
                maylro22 Level 1

Once again thanks, I will pursue your latest suggestions.  I will let you know what happens.

• 6. Re: Can not burn a Blu-ray disc
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

maylro22

The working and support of your burner for DVD cannot be used to gauge  what is going on or not going on with Premiere Elements burn to Blu-ray.

Premiere Elements burn to Blu-ray and the No Media Present happens. Some are still looking for the answer/fix. Some have found the answer in a deactivation in the opened project (Help Menu/Sign Out), followed by a ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner), and then a reinstall with antivirus and firewall turned Off.

Of course, I would advise that you try another brand/disc type first. I would suggest Verbatim BD-R or better yet BD-RE since the latter type is re-usable. And be sure that you are trying to do the burn to Blu-ray with no check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space is your Timeline content is 23 GB or less.

What is this all about

I thought perhaps it was a problem with the initializing of the disc whether you choose (Mastered) as opposed to (Live File System).

I have never seem settings with those specific names in any version of Premiere Elements and not 12 Windows. Could you elaborate what you wanted to convery here ?

Please review and focus on Blu-ray.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...If you have not already, please update from version 12 to 12.1.

Add On...What are the details on this

I have already copy the project to a file and I will attempt to burn a Blu-ray from the file.

• 7. Re: Can not burn a Blu-ray disc
                    maylro22 Level 1

Thanks for your input.  I have upgraded to version 12.1 the other day.  Every time I attempted to burn a Blu-ray I have always made sure that the Fit to Content Available Space is unchecked.  I am not a computer whiz so things take me a while to get resolved.  The information I was conveying, " I thought perhaps it was a problem with the initializing of the disc whether you choose (Mastered) as opposed to (Live File System)" comes from when you first install a blank DVD or Blu-ray disc into the disk drive and wait a few moments a dialog box opens up and ask "how do you want to use this desk?"  Those are the two choices that you have.  Perhaps this operation should be canceled.  I know if you are trying to burn a DVD and you do not select the "mastered" option when you try to burn the DVD, premiere elements will indicate "media not present" in the "status" setting.  I believe what I have to do is update my version of cyber link media suite 8 to the latest version and be sure that my present burner will indeed burn a Blu-ray for me.

• 8. Re: Can not burn a Blu-ray disc
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

maylro22

Thanks for the reply.

Before you consider my suggestions...

a. Verbatim BD-RE

b. deactivation (Sign Out), uninstall, ccleaner, reinstall

could you post a screenshot showing where you are seeing names such as

"Mastered"

:"Live File System"

"how do you want to use this desk?"

in your use of Premiere Elements 12.1 on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Getting the latest version of CyberLink is not going to help you with the Premiere Elements 12.1 burn to Blu-ray.

Premiere Elements 12.1 uses its own Blu-ray burn software. Update of CyberLink software would affect playback not creation.

That is my take on that aspect of the issue.

But, you could check to see if there are any firmware updates for your burner. Right now, short of another burner, the odds are in favor of the uninstall/reinstall as described to include program deactivation first and ccleaner in between uninstall and reinstall.

ATR

• 9. Re: Can not burn a Blu-ray disc

I haven’t tried using a Blu-ray burner on Windows 8.1, yet, but I’d cancel out of that message asking how to initialize the disc if you are given the option to cancel.

• 10. Re: Can not burn a Blu-ray disc

The suggestion about updating the Cyberlink software was to check if the media is compatible, which I would expect it to be.

I would expect that the CyberLink software will both play and burn discs so an update might be necessary.  This is just a guess, though.

• 11. Re: Can not burn a Blu-ray disc
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

ssprengel

The CyberLink Suite of programs that came with my LG Blu-ray burner uses

CyberLink Power DVD (9) for playback of Premiere Elements Blu-ray Disc Format on Blu-ray disc

and

CyberLink PowerProducer for burning content to Blu-ray Disc Format on Blu-ray disc (seldom if ever use this) since it

is limited and always waiting to update for full function which translates into getting anything meaningful from the program.

A more reliable program for testing a Blu-ray burn on the Blu-ray disc involved might be ImgBurn.

If maylro22 can get a burn to folder - Folder (4.7 GB) - for Premiere Elements 12.1's Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD, the BDMV Folder from this burn to folder can be taken to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc with ImgBurn.

maylro22's problem is not unique unfortunately.

ATR

• 12. Re: Can not burn a Blu-ray disc

I don’t have any experience with using it and Blu-rays discs, but assuming ti works, ImgBurn is a more straightforward way to test the media, yes.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

• 13. Re: Can not burn a Blu-ray disc
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

ssprengel

The Premiere Elements burn to folder (AVCHD), creates only the BDMV Folder in the saved folder.

The typical Blu-ray contains the BDMV Folder and the CERTIFICATE Folder. But, not to worry, ImgBurn

will create a CERTIFICATE Folder to go with the BDMV Folder when it burns to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc.

ImgBurn will also burn the AVCHD BDMV to AVCHD format on DVD disc.

More details on this as the results from maylro22 evolve.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Can not burn a Blu-ray disc
                                  maylro22 Level 1

Attached is a screenshot of the dialog box that opens up when I place a regular DVD or Blu-ray in my desktop computer.

Burn a Disc.jpg

In order for me to burn a DVD project in premiere elements if I do not initialize the disc with the above procedure I receive a media not present in the settings box of premiere elements.  I assumed I have to do the same thing with a Blu-ray too.  I've tried following this procedure, also tried using the live file system.  Also tried putting a fresh disc in without doing anything to it and always receive the media not present in the status setting.  One suggestion has been that another program is interfering with premiere elements.  I will also go out and purchase some Verbatim BD-RE disc, whether they work right now or not I can always use them later after I solve my problem.

I Have a lot of great suggestions from you guys and I really appreciate it.  I'm going to work on some of those today starting with loading imgburn and see if I can indeed burn a Blu-ray disc with my system.  I have already created a AVCHD BDMV file on my computer and I will start with trying to work with that and see if that is successful and then come back to premiere elements.  I appreciate the input regarding Cyberlink software.  I have version 8 (came with my Pioneer Blu-ray Drive) and was thinking about upgrading to the latest version but with your input regarding Power Producer I will save my money.

Another thought I had, with Blu-ray disc burners being as cheap as they are purchase one that has been proven to work with premiere elements 12.1.  Time is money, the cost of a new Blu-ray burner is insignificant.  I will consider this option later.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 15. Re: Can not burn a Blu-ray disc
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

maylro22

Thanks for the update with a lot of important information.

A just in case note....

You should be able to Cancel the message that you present and have no problems with DVD, AVCHD, or Blu-ray in Premiere Elements burn to. I always Cancel out of that message when it presents. So, I found your DVD results of interest. When you get the Media Not Present Message, do you hit Rescan with your burner name designated in Burner Location? Have you tried putting the disc in the burner tray before you open the Premiere Elements program and project?

We will be watching for the results of your troubleshooting in progress.

ATR