12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2014 4:07 PM by Xbizdean

Focus Stacking

Xbizdean

I am using LR 5.3 & PS CS5.  I am attempting to focus stack seven images.  When I attempt to bring all images in from LR to PS I get message "This version of LR may require PS Raw Plug-in version 8.3 for full compatibility."  When I go to updates in PS it tells me everything is up to date.

When I tell LR to move images to PS anyway, it brings in only one image.  I load remainder from file menu in PS.  I can load files into stacks, but when I attempt to auto align and auto blend, those options are not available; that is, they are not highlighted in the list. 

Any ideas on any of these issues?  Thanks...Bruce

• 1. Re: Focus Stacking
          Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't think camera raw 8.3 will work with CS5, only cs6 and cc.  As far as stacking, are these in Smart Objects?  If so, auto align and blend will not work.

• 2. Re: Focus Stacking
            Xbizdean Level 1

Does camera raw convert images to Smart Objects?  My images go from LR to ACR to PS....Thanks for the help...Bruce

• 3. Re: Focus Stacking
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

That's a bit of a strange workflow Bruce.  Why would you need to use ACR after LR?  Especially if you are using LR5 and CS5, because LR5 has a better RAW conversion engine than Photoshop CS5.

• 4. Re: Focus Stacking
                Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

They can be converted, if you specify to open them as Smart Objects.  As Trevor said, you should have to go from LR to ACR to PS, as long as you select a downgraded version of camera raw to import into PS.  But that better camera raw engine, as Trevor mentioned, will not import into CS5.  You need to select a 6.X version, I think.

• 5. Re: Focus Stacking
                  D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your Lightroom and ACR/Photoshop versions are not in sync, that's why you don't get full functionality.

Lightroom 5.3 equals ACR 8.3/Photoshop CC. With Photoshop CS5 the latest ACR version that will work is 6.7.

You can still pass files from Lightroom to Photoshop, but some "advanced" options will not be available (smart objects, layers, pano and hdr). I would recommend that you not use the "open anyway" option, because all your Lightroom adjustments may/will not pass on (ACR simply can't read them). Use the "render using Lightroom" option instead to make sure you get all your adjustments into Photoshop.

• 6. Re: Focus Stacking
                    Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I'm a bit out of my depth here, because I don't like or use Lightroom, so I don't the process for getting files from LR to PS, but I can't see any advantage with bringing them in as SOs when you are focus stacking.  What I can see happening here is that Bruce is processing the RAW files in LR, and leaving them as RAW, so CS5 _has_ to import them via ACR.  Hopefully - and this is by no means certain - ACR is leaving the Sidecar settings intact, but ISTM that it won't recognise some of those settings so might degrade the image.

Bottom line, is there another way to import into\ CS5 as layers without leaving the files as RAW format?  In fact, this might be better asked in the LR forum.

• 7. Re: Focus Stacking

He can't use smart objects. That option is only available when versions are in sync.

EDIT: in fact all these options will be unavailable (grayed out):

edit in.png

• 8. Re: Focus Stacking
                        Xbizdean Level 1

Ok here is what I tried, but with same result.  I opened raw files in LR.  Did some minor editing just to experiment.  Clicked Photo-edit in-PS.  It imported all images as TIFF files directly into PS without opening ACR this time.  Created the stack, but still no ability to auto align or blend.  I must be doing something wrong.  How do I check to see if images are Smart Objects?   Appreciate all the help...Bruce

• 9. Re: Focus Stacking
                          Xbizdean Level 1

BTW, in the last experiment I did use the "render in LR option" rather than "Open anyway." 

• 10. Re: Focus Stacking
                            Xbizdean Level 1

I just tried importing JPEG files directly into PS--same thing happens.  Still no ability to auto align or auto blend...

• 11. Re: Focus Stacking

Xbizdean wrote:

Created the stack, but still no ability to auto align or blend.  I must be doing something wrong.

You are selecting all the layers?

• 12. Re: Focus Stacking
                                Xbizdean Level 1

BINGO!!  I knew it had to be user error!   Thank you!  Thank you!   Bruce