4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2014 3:00 PM by BoneDetective

Changing original photos by changing in InDesign

BoneDetective

I was told to ask this question in Scripting - I am changing original photographs in Photoshop, placing them in an InDesign document, trimming and resizing them to fit the document (and the other photographs), and then I have to go back to Photoshop to change the original to fit the photo I changed in InDesign.  My publishers have told me that I have to submit the InDesign document along with the corrected photograph files. 

Is there a way to automate that process?  Can I put together a script to make the original photograph change the way I've changed it in InDesign?  I need to save some time!

• 1. Re: Changing original photos by changing in InDesign
          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The way I see it, there are two options to tackle this:

(1) Get the script to read the various transformations you have made in InDesign, and then try to redo them in Photoshop, presumably using BridgeTalk. Not a trivial task -- especially the cropping.

(2) Short circuit that process and instead export the image as is in InDesign, possibly turning each image into a custom PDF (or JPG or PNG) with a page size that just matches the image. I think that would be much simpler. The PDF could then be saved alongside the original image if you like, and those PDFs could be sent to the publisher. This would presume that the images you are manipulating in InDesign are the actual hi-res images and not just thumbnails.

Both options require some good scripting done, but I think that (2) is much more straightforward than messing around with BridgeTalk and Photoshop as option (1) requires (but perhaps that's just because I'm not so familiar with Photoshop scripting).

• 2. Re: Changing original photos by changing in InDesign
            BoneDetective Level 1

Thank you!  I am not using thumbnails at all - these are all high-res images.  The publishers want tif images, though. 

• 3. Re: Changing original photos by changing in InDesign
              TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't think ID can export a page item as TIFF, but presumably Acrobat can. So all the resulting PDFs could be batch converted to TIFF in Acrobat, or, of course, in Photoshop (1 batch command should do the trick), or even, the resulting PDF could be opened in PS and saved as a TIFF with a little BridgeTalk, so you would only have to run a single script to get your desired TIFF. That last option should be fairly straightforward.

• 4. Re: Changing original photos by changing in InDesign
                BoneDetective Level 1

Thank you!  I'll play with that option.

Again - thank you for taking the time to answer!