8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2014 11:50 PM by SuiteSpot RSS

Adobe creating sub folders.  STOP!

markiedenver Community Member

Sorry if this is redundant.  Is there any way to tell Audition to never ever ever ever create a sub folder when I create a session?  I prefer to organize this myself.  

• 1. Re: Adobe creating sub folders.  STOP!
          Bob Howes Community Member

How are setting up the recording when you create a session?  I always specify where I want to record when I create the session and have never noticed any unwanted sub folders.

• 3. Re: Adobe creating sub folders.  STOP!
            Bob Howes Community Member

Actually I suppose we should ask what version of Audition is in use...this is meant to be the forum for AA CS5.5 and upwards but, if we're talking about an early version, those did record to temp files before they were manually saved. 

Even then I never noticed any permanent sub folders...just the space for the temp files that I specified at the initial set up.

• 4. Re: Adobe creating sub folders.  STOP!
              SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

I can't think of any situations where this would automatically happen on setting up a session, but I think that there are circumstances to do with overdubs (or something like this anyway, that I never do) whereby you can end up with a _recorded subfolder you didn't directly ask for, possibly. But the answer to the question is the same, regardless - you can't alter Audition's behaviour in this regard, no. The reason that anything at all like this happens is to prevent you from being tripped up by your own stupidity - even if you aren't being stupid. It's all down to the lawyers again, and Adobe not wishing to be sued for any consequential liabiliy (even though they couldn't be...). They don't trust you to look after your own business.

• 5. Re: Adobe creating sub folders.  STOP!
                SuiteSpot Community Member

It would be interesting to find out the name or names of the sub folders being created - is it just the usual/normal '_recorded' folder that is the problem or the 'Bounced Files' folder or is it something else?

Pretty much most daws exhibit this sort of behaviour - ProFools, Cubendo, etal all do the same thing

• 6. Re: Adobe creating sub folders.  STOP!
                  markiedenver Community Member

Hi guys.  Thanks for all the replies.  Let me be more specific.  It's Adobe CS6.  Here's what happens.  When I create a new mult-track session, it asks me to select a folder to place it in.  When I select an existing folder, where I'd like the session file and all accompanying files to reside (like I'm used to doing for the past 10 or 12 years) it creates ANOTHER folder within that folder and gives in the same name.  This makes my head want to explode.  I don't want that folder.  I already have the folder I want and creating new folders makes it more difficult to organize my session they way i'm used to.   I understand it's trying to help, but I want it to stop.  Is there a setting to make this work more like 3.0 and mind its own business?  Thank you all again.

• 7. Re: Adobe creating sub folders.  STOP!

Yep - thought that that was what it was - happens to me sometimes too;-)

I've been meaning to isolate the cause (I suspect it is in the sequence of steps) - I have a couple of things to do right now and then I'll get right on to it and get back to you

• 8. Re: Adobe creating sub folders.  STOP!

Ok I see what is probably happening

If you create a folder called Test and then you open Audition CS6 and create a new multitrack session called 'Test' and you select the folder 'Test' to place it in then Audition creates a sub-folder called 'Test' and puts a new sesx file called 'Test' in it

Essentially Au creates a folder the same name as the name of the project/sesx file and then creates an sesx file and puts it in that folder

So what you need to do when doing the above (as an example) you would use the 'browse' button to tell Au to create the multitrack session in the folder ABOVE where you think you want it - knowing that Audition will create the folder for you - if the folder already exists Au will say that the sesx file already exists (even if it doesn't and only the folder exists) and asks if you want to overwrite - in this case you would say yes

Make sense?