3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2014 10:42 AM by resdesign

Embedding an animation in CoreMedia and viewing with IE8

Stefan Wolfrum

Hi all,

I created a simple animation and published it via the "Web" target.

Then, with a bit of hacking, I was able to successfully embed this animation into our corporate content management system which runs on CoreMedia.

Works fine in FireFox and Chrome -- but the default company web browser is -- yikes! -- Internet Explorer 8 (yes, as in eight, you got that right).

As you might expect: the animation doesn't load at all in IE8.

Even worse: our CoreMedia system sets in every web page it produces this meta tag in the header:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7"/>

So, the fact that Edge Animate's exported .html file contains

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge"/>

is totally useless for me.

Under these circumstances: is there any way to make the animation run inside of IE8? Remember: the CoreMedia produced web page that contains it runs in an intranet environment and many employees don't have internet access. I mention that just in case anyone comes up with an idea that involves internet ressources. Furthermore almost all employees don't have admin rights on their computers so installing some software is a no go (would be necessary for some 20.000 computers, so no solution form that perspective, either).

Am I doomed?

Thanks,

Stefan.

• 1. Re: Embedding an animation in CoreMedia and viewing with IE8
          resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am afraid - Yes, you are doomed!  Seriously cannot your company get on with 2014 and upgrade their IE?

Most of the features in HTML5 are not supported by IE8

• 2. Re: Embedding an animation in CoreMedia and viewing with IE8
            Stefan Wolfrum Level 1

Yep, I know that IE8 and HTML5 are a pain in the back.

The fact that IE8 is the company standard is really ridiculous! But I'm in no position to change this, unfortunately. Guess what: my workplace computer runs on Windows XP and Windows 7 is just rolling out here. We're YEARS behind current, modern, up-to-date office technology. But with app. 250.000 employess worldwide it's not an easy task for IT to keep each and every office PC on the same level. It's practically a constant roll-out. I guess they're planning a Windows 8 rollout already. *sigh*

We DO have the (almost) latest FireFox and Chrome here, too, but only web savvy folks install them on their PCs. I'm in communications and the only browser I can be absolutely certain of is *sigh* IE8.

The day Firefox or Chrome or IE10+ will become the standard browser here is the day I'll jump for joy, believe me!

Still, with Windows 7 they managed to make IE8 the default browser!! Un-be-lievable!!

• 3. Re: Embedding an animation in CoreMedia and viewing with IE8
              resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Good grief! I feel your pain–the force of inertia if hard to fight! Sometimes IT people just want to cover themselves and do not want to rock the boat. I understand though that the number of computers to update is a big deal and compatibility issues with hardware is hard to guess. A simple install sometimes becomes a nightmare and causes hours of frustration.

Maybe you should go back to some DOS animation!

just kidding!