1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 1, 2006 5:39 AM by ageofem

Overlaying photos with transparency

Rob_in_France
      Hi

I've recently started using Fireworks, so have a lot to learn. Here's what I'd like to be able to do; hopefully some kind and knowledgeable soul will be able and willing to tell me how....

I'm making a banner graphic for a web site. This is to be composed of two photos. The first is a jpeg of a landscape. The second is also a jpeg, and is a picture of a family on a white background. I want to superimpose this one over the landcape so that the white background is transparent and it looks as though the family is standing against the backdrop of the landscape.

I've looked all through the help files etc., but cannot find any solution (or at least, none that I can understand). I must be missing something....

Thanks in anticipation,

Rob
        • 1. Re: Overlaying photos with transparency
          ageofem
          ------------------------------------------------ the new version of fireworks allows you to achieve that effect using the different blend modes. My advice would be to use the magic wand tool to crop the white background, in fireworks 8, you could use objects you had created using the polygon or pen tool and convert them to marquees, and there you crop your selected image., to give you an idea on the effect of the magic wand tool, pls view this source png............ tnx and enjoy ! i hope that works !

http://img447.imageshack.us/my.php?image=example5jm.jpg <<< source file

quote:

Originally posted by: Rob in France
          Hi

I've recently started using Fireworks, so have a lot to learn. Here's what I'd like to be able to do; hopefully some kind and knowledgeable soul will be able and willing to tell me how....

I'm making a banner graphic for a web site. This is to be composed of two photos. The first is a jpeg of a landscape. The second is also a jpeg, and is a picture of a family on a white background. I want to superimpose this one over the landcape so that the white background is transparent and it looks as though the family is standing against the backdrop of the landscape.

I've looked all through the help files etc., but cannot find any solution (or at least, none that I can understand). I must be missing something....

Thanks in anticipation,

Rob