5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2014 5:22 PM by mista2x

Simple 3d object question with C4D and AECC

PaulGrogan

I've been struggling for 2 weeks now on trying to do something very simple, but I've come to the conclusion that it is not possible in CS6, so I have downloaded the trial version of CC to try.

Here's what i want to do.   Create a 3d object - say a coin, or a cardboard box.  Then put that object into AE and do things with it - like scale it, rotate it, etc.

I've managed to create the object in C4D no problem, but when I load it into AE, it is fixed.  I cant even move it without getting the red error bar, so it appears that once in AE it has to stay exactly the same size as the composition.  But I just cant work out how I'm supposed to get this to work.  One forum I read says that I need to do the animation itself in C4D, but this doesnt make sense to me.   My entire movie is created in AE.

Currently I am using a 2d coin for example - I created this in AE with just a 2d image of a coin and when it rotates to the other side, the image swaps for the 'tails'.  It looks great, except it has zero thickness.  But, I control the scale, position and rotation all within AE.  If I was to have to create the rotation in C4D, I cant work out how exactly I'm supposed to get it to line up with all the other layers in AE and the timings and everything.

I've asked on other forums, and the answer is "go and buy element 3d", but I'm sure something as simple as this should be possible with C4D and AE:CC, I just dont know how.

To try and explain more, lets say I have a movie of me walking on camera and then flipping a coin towards the camera, but the coin is digitally created.

Thanks in advance all.

• 1. Re: Simple 3d object question with C4D and AECC
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As it stands, you have to do the animation in C4D. There is no way around it. That's just how this first flavor of Cineware works. It may work differently in teh future, but for now that's all you get. The rest I don't follow - a second is a second in AE and C4D, so timing should not be an issue and Cineware will use the comp camera, taking care of any alignment issues. As long as you keep the coordinates in your C4D file straight, there is nothing to fear.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Simple 3d object question with C4D and AECC
            PaulGrogan Level 1

I guess it is because I've spent 3 months learning AE and never touched C4D.  I know how to animate something in AE, change its scale, rotation, etc with keyframes.  I've zero idea how to animate anything in C4D

• 3. Re: Simple 3d object question with C4D and AECC
              PaulGrogan Level 1

So, I've spent more hours on this and still have no clue at all how to proceed.  Does anyone have any advice on me on how to just do something very simple.

Lets use the example of the coin - I can create the coin in C4D and I can assign an image of 'heads' to one side and 'tails' to another. 

From everything I have read, I need to do the animation in C4D - but I've no idea how.  It is the workflow integration I have no idea about since I've only used AE up to now, and when everything is in AE, I move things around, I rotate them, I position them exactly how I want to.  So, if I wanted to motion track the coin, so it looks like it is in my hand as I walk across the screen, I can do that in AE. 

But if I need to animate in C4D seperately, I've no idea how to get it to match up with my imported footage.

I understand about switching the camera to the comp camera, but in my example, I dont have / need a camera.  The camera isnt actually moving at all, the things on screen are moving.

Thanks again to anyone who can just help me get started.  I'm now 3 days into this, tried C4D, tried Blender, and got nowhere

• 4. Re: Simple 3d object question with C4D and AECC
                PaulGrogan Level 1

Sorry to resurrect this, but I'm going out of my mind crazy now.  5 more days, hours more tutorials, have tried again to use Blender and C4D and still getting nowhere.

What I want to do is very simple, people say it is possible to do, but I just cannot work out how.  So I'm really begging for help, just someone to take me step by step through what I need to do.

Here is where I am so far

I have CC trial, which comes with C4D Lite.   I have created a 'coin' in C4D.  I have managed to assign three different textures, one to the front, one to the back, and a simple colour to the edge.    I have also managed to learn the basics of animation in C4D.   I got the coin to fall from the top down to ground level, and then a couple of seconds later, it lifts off the ground and flips over.

I was getting somewhere!   Then it comes to putting that into AE and everything went wrong, and hours later it still isnt working.  I load the C4D file into AE and it goes in ok.  Since I have an image of a 'chess board' in my AE file, and the 3d object is effectively a playing piece for a game of draughts, I know I need to use the comp camera - so I change that, but then everything is in the wrong position, I'm just getting more and more confused.  

Also, the front and back of the coins are black - if I change the C4D file to a solid colour though, it looks ok, but as soon as I replace the solid colour with an image file (heads & tails), it looks great in C4D and then black in AE.  No idea why.

Finally, how the heck am I supposed to have the object in exactly the right position?  Since when I load the C4D file into AE, I cannot resize it or move it at all, I have to have the coin in exactly the right position and rotation in the C4D file first, but without the picture of the board to line it up to, this is impossible. 

I'm clearly doing this all wrong, and it must be a lot easier than this, so if someone can help, I will be forever greatful.

• 5. Re: Simple 3d object question with C4D and AECC
                  mista2x

I may be able to help...

Just to make sure I understand, the problem is that you would like to create a textured 3D object that you can animate (since C4D is lite limited/complex)?

Here's an example with the red and purple Transformer faces at the beginning (without C4D):

http://mista2x.prosite.com/341765/4596665/gallery/tfylp-podcast-intro

Let me know if that's it and I can help.