8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2014 6:00 PM by scpicman

Can I disable the ESC key in camera raw?

scpicman Level 1

When working in Photoshop in general, I've gotten into the habit of using the ESC key to get out of a tool I'm currently using, but when using Camera Raw, this has the consequence of closing the image I've been working on without saving any of the edits I've made.  I've tried looking in the keyboard shortcut assignments for it, but no luck.  Maybe it's a Windows-wide setting, or a per-application setting that can be set?  And yes, I know I can stop hitting the ESC key, but that's not the answer I'm looking for.  Thanks in advance for any help on this.

• 1. Re: Can I disable the ESC key in camera raw?
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

scpicman wrote:

And yes, I know I can stop hitting the ESC key, but that's not the answer I'm looking for.

But that's the only answer you are going to get. The ESC is doing exactly what it's supposed to do, exit without making changes. Perhaps you could put tape over the key?

• 2. Re: Can I disable the ESC key in camera raw?
            scpicman Level 1

I'll admit, the ESC key is probably outside what is considered a normal shortcut key, but it's still a key on the keyboard like all the rest, so I'm hoping there's a way to access it's functionality in some way.  Maybe not even from within PS or ACR, but possibly in the broader Windows environment.  At the very least, within ACR, it would be nice if a dialog appeared asking it you wanted to discard your edits, because someone could ACCIDENTALLY hit the ESC key, let alone someone like me in the habit of using it, and poof, there goes that beautiful image that took you 137 un-repeatable tweaks to get to.

You're right, it may not be possible, but I'm hoping there's a way.

• 3. Re: Can I disable the ESC key in camera raw?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think if Jeff has told you there isn't a way then you can pretty well rest assured that there isn't.

• 4. Re: Can I disable the ESC key in camera raw?
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In AutoHotKey you may be able to define ESC as a hotkey and then do different things depending on if the current Window title is Camera Raw or not, but I haven’t tried to use it that way, so I’m not sure:

http://www.autohotkey.com/

You can remap any key to any other key – not sure if it works in Windows 8:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/map-any-key-to-any-key-on-windows-xp-vista/

• 5. Re: Can I disable the ESC key in camera raw?
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

scpicman wrote:

I'll admit, the ESC key is probably outside what is considered a normal shortcut key, but it's still a key on the keyboard like all the rest, so I'm hoping there's a way to access it's functionality in some way.

I guess you don't understand the fact the in ACR, the ESC key is doing EXACTLY WHAT IT'S SUPPOSED TO DO...exit without changes...sorry, I don't have much sympathy for accidentally clicking on the wrong key, right? If it hurts when you do something, quit doing that! Right? Sure, you may be able to hack around this, but you would be far better off if you simply learn how to use ACR efficiently...you understand, accidentally hitting ESC is your fault, right? The fact is, you are complaining that ACR is doing exactly what it's supposed to do, right? And maybe it's you that needs to adopt and adapt?

• 6. Re: Can I disable the ESC key in camera raw?
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The addition of a Are You Sure with a Don’t Show This Again checkbox would alleviate the issue of having habits from programs that have less bad consequences.

Using Lightroom with its database-stored History might also be something to try.

• 7. Re: Can I disable the ESC key in camera raw?
                      scpicman Level 1

Jeff Schewe wrote:

I guess you don't understand the fact the in ACR, the ESC key is doing EXACTLY WHAT IT'S SUPPOSED TO DO...exit without changes...

And CTRL+S in PS also does what it's supposed to do as the programmers assigned it, but I got tired of accidentally hitting it when I meant to hit CTRL+D, so I removed the CTRL+S assignment from the Save command.  I wonder why the programmers gave us access to the shortcut key assignments.  Maybe it's so that we can make or remove assignments that work best for us, and not just accept what someone else thought worked best?

Jeff Schewe wrote:

And maybe it's you that needs to adopt and adapt?

In this case, that could very well be true.

• 8. Re: Can I disable the ESC key in camera raw?
                        scpicman Level 1

ssprengel wrote:

The addition of a Are You Sure with a Don’t Show This Again checkbox would alleviate the issue of having habits from programs that have less bad consequences.

I think this is an excellent suggestion!  The ideas you previously posted I'll have to look into.  Thanks for trying to help me out.  Much appreciated!