8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2014 2:59 PM by Josh_Corey

Help with Form Fields Alignment when Printing

dschulenberg

I created a form in Forms Central and while the fields appear correctly in columns on the input, they print stacked and left aligned.Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 10.36.21 AM.png

Above is form input from browser or pdf distribution. Below is a completed form showing print display.

Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 10.36.54 AM.png

How can I have completed form print fields as designed in columns?

Thanks in advance for any help in resolving,

Dara

• 1. Re: Help with Form Fields Alignment when Printing
          Josh_Corey Adobe Employee

Hi;

You should use the PDF to print and it should print exactly as it is displayed.  Printing from the browser isn't something we support and there is no guarantee of what you would get.  If you go to the View Responses tab you can "Download Response as PDF Form" for any response which gives you the filled out PDF you can print.

Thanks,

Josh

• 2. Re: Help with Form Fields Alignment when Printing
            dschulenberg Level 1

Thanks Josh. As a starting point, this is happening when the manager downloads responses as a PDF also. And further, how might this work for the person completing the form and without access to the View Responses tol?

Thanks again for the helpful input!

• 3. Re: Help with Form Fields Alignment when Printing

Is the manager using Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat to open the PDF file and print?  Can you send me a downloaded PDF at jcorey@adobe.com to check out?  It should print as it is laid out when viewed in the PDF in Adobe Reader.

Unfortunately there isn't any good solution for the form filler to print other than your setting up Email Receipts which doesn't look like the original form, or emailing them the response PDF to print.

Thanks,

Josh

• 4. Re: Help with Form Fields Alignment when Printing
                dschulenberg Level 1

Thanks again Josh. I've emailed you the exported form to demonstrate it is not printed as designed.

• 5. Re: Help with Form Fields Alignment when Printing

I think I see what is going on, but without access to your form I can't be sure things are working how they should...  The issue is not related to Printing the PDF, the issue is in the downloaded PDF and is at least in some sense expected.

The reason (I am guessing that any field that was moved to a new row was a "Multi-line text field") is that those each get their own row in the downloaded response because we added a feature a while back to assist users with printing that PDF to expand all multi-line text fields to fit all text the user entered.  The only way to achieve this was to change the layout of fields when multi-line text fields are present and text overflows (I don't recall for sure if they get their own row only if they overflow or always get their own row).

Can you share with jcorey@adobe.com so I can look into it further and please include a reference to this Forum post so I know what we are looking for, instructions for sharing your form: http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2462

Thanks,

Josh

• 6. Re: Help with Form Fields Alignment when Printing
                    dschulenberg Level 1

Done Josh. I made you a co-author when sharing.  Very much appreciate the timely assistance!

• 7. Re: Help with Form Fields Alignment when Printing
                      dschulenberg Level 1

Josh:

Any additional insight as to if that is why the alignment is printing not as designed?

Thanks again,

Dara

• 8. Re: Help with Form Fields Alignment when Printing

Hi;

What is happening in the PDF is actually a "feature".  We had a lot of issues previously with customers not being happy with print out of the downloaded PDF since text boxes that had text input that overflowed the size of the text field would not display all of the text in the printed version. 

The change (feature) was to expand all text boxes to fit their content.  In order to expand the boxes, when the fields are laid out side by side, they have to each be moved to their own row, so if one field overflows each field in that row will get it's own row. 

The reason it took me a bit to realize this was as it should be was that I thought we were doing this only for multi-line text fields, but it is done for all user input fields so that the PDF will print all of the data.

I do apologize for the confusion, but this is as designed. 

Thanks,

Josh