5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2006 9:07 AM by Newsgroup_User

    Overlaying photos with transparency

    Level 7
      Hi

      I've recently started using Fireworks, so have a lot to learn. Here's what I'd
      like to be able to do; hopefully some kind and knowledgeable soul will be able
      and willing to tell me how....

      I'm making a banner graphic for a web site. This is to be composed of two
      photos. The first is a jpeg of a landscape. The second is also a jpeg, and is a
      picture of a family on a white background. I want to superimpose this one over
      the landcape so that the white background is transparent and it looks as though
      the family is standing against the backdrop of the landscape.

      I've looked all through the help files etc., but cannot find any solution (or
      at least, none that I can understand). I must be missing something....

      Thanks in anticipation,

      Rob

        • 1. Re: Overlaying photos with transparency
          Level 7
          Rob in France wrote:


          > I'm making a banner graphic for a web site. This is to be composed of two
          > photos. The first is a jpeg of a landscape. The second is also a jpeg, and is a
          > picture of a family on a white background. I want to superimpose this one over
          > the landcape so that the white background is transparent and it looks as though
          > the family is standing against the backdrop of the landscape.

          You need to remove the white background from around the family. There
          are a number of ways to do this. One is to use the Magic wand tool to
          select the white background, and then delete the selection. Another is,
          once you've selected the white background, invert the selection (Select
          > Invert selection) so the foreground with the family is selected. You
          then convert the selection to paths (Select > Convert to paths). Fill
          the path with white, and then choose Modify > Mask > Group as Mask. IF
          you need to adjust the outline, then select the mashing path thumbnail
          in the Layers panel to bring up the adjustment points.

          --
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] **Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks**
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: Overlaying photos with transparency
            Rob_in_France Level 1
            Thanks, Linda. That sounds pretty clear. I'll give it a try later.

            Regards,

            Rob
            • 3. Re: Overlaying photos with transparency
              Level 7
              Rob in France wrote:
              > Hi
              >
              > I've recently started using Fireworks, so have a lot to learn. Here's what I'd
              > like to be able to do; hopefully some kind and knowledgeable soul will be able
              > and willing to tell me how....
              >
              > I'm making a banner graphic for a web site. This is to be composed of two
              > photos. The first is a jpeg of a landscape. The second is also a jpeg, and is a
              > picture of a family on a white background. I want to superimpose this one over
              > the landcape so that the white background is transparent and it looks as though
              > the family is standing against the backdrop of the landscape.
              >
              > I've looked all through the help files etc., but cannot find any solution (or
              > at least, none that I can understand). I must be missing something....

              Look at this tutorial I wrote for one of the best and most flexible ways
              to perform this task. Simply deleting the white background after
              selecting it with the wand tool will probably not yield the results you
              want (jagged edges and white pixels remaining). My tutorial starts with
              the magic want but ends up with a vector mask that will antialias well
              to any background color. Give it a try.

              HTH!

              --
              St�phane Bergeron
              reach:connect:communicate
              www.webfocusdesign.com
              blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
              www.pixelyzed.com
              • 4. Re: Overlaying photos with transparency
                Level 7
                St�phane Bergeron wrote:
                > Rob in France wrote:
                >> Hi
                >>
                >> I've recently started using Fireworks, so have a lot to learn. Here's
                >> what I'd like to be able to do; hopefully some kind and knowledgeable
                >> soul will be able and willing to tell me how....
                >>
                >> I'm making a banner graphic for a web site. This is to be composed of
                >> two photos. The first is a jpeg of a landscape. The second is also a
                >> jpeg, and is a picture of a family on a white background. I want to
                >> superimpose this one over the landcape so that the white background is
                >> transparent and it looks as though the family is standing against the
                >> backdrop of the landscape.
                >>
                >> I've looked all through the help files etc., but cannot find any
                >> solution (or at least, none that I can understand). I must be missing
                >> something....
                >
                > Look at this tutorial I wrote for one of the best and most flexible ways
                > to perform this task. Simply deleting the white background after
                > selecting it with the wand tool will probably not yield the results you
                > want (jagged edges and white pixels remaining). My tutorial starts with
                > the magic want but ends up with a vector mask that will antialias well
                > to any background color. Give it a try.
                >
                > HTH!
                >
                You mean this one, St�phane?

                http://www.pixelyzed.com/pixelforge/removebackgrounds/

                --
                Bonnie
                in California
                8 ^ )
                • 5. Re: Overlaying photos with transparency
                  Level 7
                  Bonnie wrote:
                  >>
                  > You mean this one, St�phane?
                  >
                  > http://www.pixelyzed.com/pixelforge/removebackgrounds/

                  LOL! yeah... thanks! It was getting late for me here ;-)

                  --
                  St�phane Bergeron
                  reach:connect:communicate
                  www.webfocusdesign.com
                  blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
                  www.pixelyzed.com