6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2014 11:04 AM by Nancy O. RSS

DWcs6 editing html5 template- issues with IE image replacement

pms1955

The original HTML5 Web template displays all images fine in IE, Chrome and Firefox. When I edit the template and substitute othe images in DW, the images will not appear in IE (a small box is displayed), however there is no issue with the image display in Firefox or Chrome. I am a bit baffled. I have windows 8 with IEv10 and DW CS6. I tried on a windows 7 with IEv9 and still have problems. It appears to be an issue with DW editing and compatibility with IE. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: DWcs6 editing html5 template- issues with IE image replacement
          Nancy O. CommunityMVP

Could be due to code errors. Use the tools below and fix reported errors.

CODE VALIDATION TOOLS

--------------------------------------

CSS - http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

HTML - http://validator.w3.org/

If that doesn't help, we'll need to see a URL to your online page.

Nancy O.

• 2. Re: DWcs6 editing html5 template- issues with IE image replacement
            pms1955 Community Member

The only issue is with previewing in Internet Explorer, other browsers work fine. Only the image was replaced and then no display on Internet Explorer. The website has not been published yet, this is an issue with previewing via IE while editing with DW. Again - other browsers have no issue with image replacement and display fine. No coding was changed - just the image.

• 3. Re: DWcs6 editing html5 template- issues with IE image replacement
              Nancy O. CommunityMVP

It's impossible to guess what may be going on.  It could be a path problem.  It could be a bad image file (CMYK instead of RGB).  It could be a simple code mistake. 

Try removing the image and re-inserting it.  Save Template and populate changes to child pages.  Refresh your browser.

Nancy O.

• 4. Re: DWcs6 editing html5 template- issues with IE image replacement
                pms1955 Community Member

Here is something interesting. I started from scratch and took the template and copied to a folder in windows. I brought up the html directly from windows to IE. Everything was fine. Then I replaced the images in the template with my own directly in windows. Everything was fine and displayed correctly with the new images -again brought up directly from windows. I changed the name of one of the images. When I brought up DW to edit the image name ONLY, after saving - ALL of the pictures that I replaced no longer were displayed on Internet Explorer from DW OR directly from windows. Everything is fine with this template until I save through DW. Even the files that did NOT have the name changed, no longer displayed after saving through DW. I seems to me that this is not a coding error, it is a DW issue with Internet Explorer.

• 5. Re: DWcs6 editing html5 template- issues with IE image replacement
                  Jon Fritz II CommunityMVP

When you use Preview in Browser, all that happens is DW opens the file you are working on in the actual browser. What you are seeing IS Internet Explorer, Firefox or Chrome, it is not part of DW in any way.

As Nancy suggested, html code errors could be the problem. All of the various browsers are programmed to handle code errors, some better than others, so they essentially "guess what you meant" when they run into an issue. IE is traditionally, by far, the worst at guessing what an error in the code was meant to be and will often display differently than the other browsers when it runs into an issue.

Make sure to run your html through the validators so you can clear out any and all problems.

If you clean out all errors and the issue is still happening, post the entire code of the page (and any accompanying .css file) here in the forum (don't use email) and we can take a look. A much, much, much better way to do it would be to create a TEST folder on your server to publish to so you could share a link and we could take a look from our browsers. Once the issue was found, you would simply delete the TEST folder and its contents.

Without seeing the code, it's all a guessing game.

• 6. Re: DWcs6 editing html5 template- issues with IE image replacement
                    Nancy O. CommunityMVP

I started from scratch and took the template and copied to a folder in windows.

Templates won't do anything in DW unless they remain inside the Templates folder of your local site.  That Templates folder must be at site root level (same as your index.html page).  If you moved your template to another location, you broke it.

Nancy O.