6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2014 4:07 AM by cbishop01

Black Processing out Only in Indesign CC

cbishop01 Level 2

Hi i have a fairly big problem.  I am using artwork from Illustrator and in that program the Black is its own color.  Meaning when i show seperations and click the eye on black the black is gone.  Now when i place the image in Indesign the black is processed out.  I have had the file opened in Photoshop and illustrator boths show the black as black and the other colors filling in the Processed area.  Hows come Only Indesign shows THis as All Processed even when the black is not supposed to be.  Any Ideas?   Thanks IN advance.

• 1. Re: Black Processing out Only in Indesign CC
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sounds like a profile mismatch and a color management policy to convert to the working profile.

• 2. Re: Black Processing out Only in Indesign CC
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Do you mean that your 0/0/0/100 CMYK black becomes X/X/X/X 4c CMYK black upon output?

This happens when you convert to a different output profile when you export the PDF.

There are several solutions:

1. Colormanagement, CMYK policy: Keep numbers, ignore profiles to avoid any CMYK to CMYK conversion. But this means also that the CMYK changes to a different color according to the different profile. That's why in this case it is recommended to use RGB images and CMYK vectors. (I use this normally.)
            2. Don't embedd a profile to your AI files (avoid the use of EPS anyway). The output will not change values
            3. Prepair all images with the very same profile as you need at the end, so no conversion will take place. But this reduces the flexiblity to use the very same file under different printing circumstances.

My recommendation is to work like 1.

• 3. Re: Black Processing out Only in Indesign CC
              cbishop01 Level 2

Yes the 0/0/0/100 K is turing into x/x/x/x.  HOwever as i said in AI and PS they are fine and correct.  Do you mean i have to Change management in Indesing or AI and PS.  And i use the .ai file that is displaying correctly in AI.  And could you walk me through how to fix it i am very new to this program.  THanks you so much for your help so far.

• 4. Re: Black Processing out Only in Indesign CC
                cbishop01 Level 2

I forgot to add this is before i output it.  Its does the same on output though.

• 5. Re: Black Processing out Only in Indesign CC
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Open the AI file and resave it with Embed Profiles unchecked (Willi's #2).

Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 7.48.40 PM.png

If your AI files have embedded profile(s) that are different than your InDesign document's profile (Edit>Assign Profiles...) then the color will get converted to the ID document's profile when you export or print—100% black gets converted to 4-color.

If the InDesign document's CMYK Color Management policy is set to Off or Preserve Numbers(Ignore Linked profiles), InDesign ignore's your AI file's embedded profiles and there is no color conversion.

The color management policy is saved with each document when it is created, so you can't simply change the policy via Color Settings. To change the policy for an existing document—close the document, open Color Settings, choose the policy you want, check Ask When Opening. The next time you open the document you'll get a dialog with the option to change the document's CM policy

• 6. Re: Black Processing out Only in Indesign CC
                    cbishop01 Level 2

Thank you thank you thank you.  You saved me....