18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2014 6:18 PM by A.T. Romano

File TGA

Agnese

Come importo i file TGA in Premiere Elements 12?

• 1. Re: File TGA
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Click Add Media/From Files and Folders and browse to your .tga files.

• 2. Re: File TGA
            Agnese Level 1

I'm looking for the right codec for tga. Could you suggest someone?

My Premiere Elements 12 doesn't accept tga files.

• 3. Re: File TGA

You do not need a codec for a Targa image. It is a still photo file which can load right into Premiere Elements.

• 4. Re: File TGA
                Agnese Level 1

I'm so sorry, but my Premiere doesn't accept them

• 5. Re: File TGA

Can you convert the file to a JPEG or TIF?

• 6. Re: File TGA
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Perhaps it is my faulty memory, but I thought that Adobe dropped support of TGA with about PrE 11. Up until a point, they were supported, and some of the Functional Content was in TGA format.

As Photoshop (including PsE), and many other Image-editing programs can Open TGA's, and then Save_As, say a TIFF, if my memory serves me correctly, your "conversion" suggestion would be my workflow too.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: File TGA
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Agnese

Premiere Elements 12 definitely does not support .tga files. Been there and done a lot of work on this matter.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe11-tga-filespe80801-title-templates.html

The .tga format is supported by Premiere Elements 4 through 10, but it is not supported by Premiere

Elements 11 and 12.

You can convert a .tga file to .png, .psd, jpeg with Photoshop. Photoshop Elements 11 and 12 do not support .tga.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: File TGA
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

I did not see your post until I posted mine.

I would remind you that not all versions of Photoshop Elements open the .tga file.

ATR

• 9. Re: File TGA
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thank you for the notes. That supports my memory of TGA in Premiere Elements - not supported in PrE 11 & 12.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 10. Re: File TGA
                            Agnese Level 1

Ok thank you.

• 11. Re: File TGA
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Not all versions of Photoshop Elements support .tga so that the .tga can be converted to another format.

Did you see the part of my message about Photoshop Elements 11 and 12 not supporting .tga? So those Photoshop Elements versions are not candidates for converting the .tga to another format such as .png, .psd, jpeg for example.

ATR

• 12. Re: File TGA
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

No, as our posts were at the same time.

While I have PsE 12, I have really not explored it, since I do all of my work in Ps. Ps, from at least version 3, through CS6 does support TGA nicely.

There are also some other programs, such as PhotoImpact, GIMP, IrfanView, ThumbsPlus, and a few more, which can Open TGA's, and allow one to Save_As most other common formats.

Thank you for that tip.

Hunt

• 13. Re: File TGA
                                  nealeh Level 5

The Open Source (i.e. FREE) GIMP Image Editor can open and save TarGA files (although to save you have to use File> Export As). You can install a portable version of GIMP that adds nothing to your registry or file associations for odd jobs such as this. The following is a TGA with transparency.

1.png

Exported from GIMP as a PNG, and opened in PSE - transparency preserved:

3.png

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale
                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 14. Re: File TGA
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

What is the significance of

Exported from GIMP as a PNG, and opened in PSE - transparency preserved:

and stopping there since the user wants to open the png (previously .tga) in Premiere Elements 12 not Photoshop Elements?

Yes, the tga converted to png with GIMP will import into Premiere Elements 12 with transparency maintained if the now png image had transparency to start with as a .tga file.

ATR

• 15. Re: File TGA
                                      nealeh Level 5

ATR, I don't understand the point of your question. I was offering Agnese a free option to convert his tga files to png and showing how the conversion using GIMP (an image editor) preserves all the elements including transparency in an Adobe equivalent of GIMP - PSE (an image editor).

The point that PRE can import png files had been made previously in the discussion in several replies and screenshots showing the file in GIMP view and PRE would not have been like-for-like.

But for completeness here is the same file on the PRE timeline, including transparency.

Full workflow: Open in GIMP, Export from GIMP as PNG, PNG dragged to PRE timeline.

1.png

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale
                                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 16. Re: File TGA
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

In Post 14, I added the following to which you have now added graphics in Post 15.

Yes, the tga converted to png with GIMP will import into Premiere Elements 12 with transparency maintained if the now png image had transparency to start with as a .tga file.

The point - I added that to the thread since what you wrote read as a hop from GIMP to opening in Photoshop Elements with no mention of the user program Premiere Elements as the actually receipent of this tga turned png.

ATR

• 17. Re: File TGA
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Unfortunately, you are loosing me on this.

Neale has confirmed that one can use GIMP, the free Image-editing program, to do the conversion, to a format that will Import into PrE 12, with Transparency, if that is needed, and should be what the OP is requesting. Now, Agnese would probably like to have that capability, IN PrE 12, but it is not available, since PrE 11.

Just like PsE, I have not spent much time with GIMP. Looked at it years (and many generations) ago, but having Photoshop, found it to be pretty useless to me, and to my workflow. I would have assumed that it could still handle TGA (but I assumed that newer PsE versions still could too, until you educated me on that format's lack of support). Neale confirmed, at least for me, that GIMP was still capable of the conversion, and is free.

I am missing what is wrong with Neale's posts, and have found them useful, at least to me. Hope that Agnese does too.

Hunt

• 18. Re: File TGA
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

My comments to nealeh are self explanatory, and I have taken the time to repeat them for nealeh (at least twice) to be polite. I will not repeat them again.

I refer you to my posts in this thread for your re-read of them if necessary. I cannot offer more than that.

Moving forward, I extend my offer for endless clarification and verification of information if needed only to Agnese in this thread.

ATR