8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2014 10:16 AM by Steven Boland

Blank pages randomly generated

Steven Boland Level 1

Ik have this very odd problem with InDesign CC. Sometimes a document I am working on suddenly shows totally blank pages. The text strings going through the pages are intact an seem to be invisible. After deleting the pages (always a spread, or a number of spreads) and inserting new ones I can restore the file by linking the text in the new boxes. There is no crash so I cannot anticipate on this problem. At one time I already sent the pdf to the printer with the blank pages which seemed to have been created just before making it. These days I check any pdf for blank pages before sending it off. What **** causes this?

• 1. Re: Blank pages randomly generated
          Migintosh Level 4

When blank pages appear, does the text jump over them, or is the text that would have been on those pages gone as well? Two common reasons are as follows:

1. A column break(s) or frame break(s) has/have been inserted into the text stream, causing the text to jump to the next available page. This happens if you use the Enter key in the 10-key pad (column break, or if you hold shift, a frame break) instead of the wide Enter key in the main keyboard.
          2. Keep options are such that the frame on a particular page is too small to fit the text. For example, suppose you had a text frame that was full, and you accidentally moved the bottom edge up slightly, causing the last line to jump to the next frame. If the keep options of all of the lines of the page were set to stay together, they wouldn't fit on the page, and would jump to the next available frame. If that frame was the correct size, all of the text would go into it, but if it were too small like the first one, the text would jump to a third frame (and so on until it found one where it would fit).

I'm not sure if either of these is the cause of your problem, but it's worth having a look.

• 2. Re: Blank pages randomly generated
            Steven Boland Level 1

All the elements on the pages are gone. Lines, pagenumbers, anything on the masterpage. Nothing can be selected. Its like a black hole. The suggestions you make have nothing to do with the issue. Nothing happens on those pages, everything just simply dissappears. Its really freaking me out since the problem has arisen several times over the past year or so. Yes, I do have frequent crashes of InDesign (say once or two times a week) which could have damaged the file to render this problem. However it occurring does not seem to happen directly after a crash, but maybe randomly sometime after. I do make back-ups frequently, so this never has had the effect of losing something valueable.

• 3. Re: Blank pages randomly generated
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you patched to version 9.2?

• 4. Re: Blank pages randomly generated
                Steven Boland Level 1

Yep, but the problem is much older than that. Started with CS6 as I can recall.

• 5. Re: Blank pages randomly generated

I asked because I think there was a bug that would do this under certain circumstances, but I'm not certain we're talking about the same thing. Are you saying there is actual content that coes missing from threaded stories, and that a master page other than None is applied, but no master content shows? That's different, and not something I've seen except in corrupt docs.

If you do a select all, is anything on the page selected? I have seen a number of cases recently where frames become one-dimensional with astronomical dimension. I don't know the cause, but my memory is the only recourse is to replace the objects.

• 6. Re: Blank pages randomly generated
                    Steven Boland Level 1

'frames become one-dimensional with astronomical dimension'

It rings a bell … A 'select all' on the pages selects something, but one cannot see what, it is either enormously large or small. Deleting it, which I have tried in the past wil make the string of text continue on the next visible page. It seems so that there is actually something to delete. But I am afraid of these 'black hole pages' so I never try to place new boxes onto them. I delete and paste in new pages and restore the links.

I have the slight notion that a page on wich none of the master page elements has been altered has more chance to be infected than pages on wich, for instance, a headline has been altered, or a pagenumber has been deleted. Pages that frequently have these alterations like about the first 10 pages of a book never seem to have the problem. Then again, the problem does not occur that often. As I remember I have seen this problem about a dozen times the past year.

• 7. Re: Blank pages randomly generated

Steven Boland wrote:

'frames become one-dimensional with astronomical dimension'

It rings a bell … A 'select all' on the pages selects something, but one cannot see what, it is either enormously large or small.

Yep, that's it. I'm pretty sure it's a bug, but I don't know what triggers it. Never seen it in my own files.

• 8. Re: Blank pages randomly generated
                        Steven Boland Level 1

Glad to know its not me! Must be doing something really special ;-)