1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 20, 2014 8:20 AM by c.pfaffenbichler

These Layers are New to Me (PS CS5)

preditorj40153117 Level 1

I know some of you may have seen this before but i haven't and wanted to understand it better. In the screen shot you will see 4 text layers with color canvases (not sure if thats correct terminology). In most cases when i create text i use the color picker in the Character panel to change the color.

In this composite they are using a color canvas to change the color of the text. It look like the same color canvas that come with every shape drawn in PS.

My question is....

Why would you want to set your color up this way? and How?

Does this have something to do with coming from Illustrator?

new swatch.png

• 1. Re: These Layers are New to Me (PS CS5)
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Why would you want to set your color up this way?

To be able to change the color easily, for example by double-clicking the layer icon in the Layers Panel, and having the benefit of outputting vector data in a pdf.

Edit: Also paths suffer very little of at all when being repeatedly transformed. 

and How?

Creating a Shape Layer with a vector tool, Type > Convert to Shape, select an existing Path and invoke Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color, …

Does this have something to do with coming from Illustrator?

While the paths in the Vector Masks may have been created in Illustrator this is not a necessity, one can create Paths in Photoshop and convert type to paths.