10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2017 1:56 PM by thegoframe

Fonts used in some text layers not available...

sjscherf

I've been gettting the following message lately when opening Photoshop files at work: "Fonts used in some text layers are not available for activation. You will need to replace these fonts before the layers can be used for vector based output".

But when I check my text layers, there are no indications that any fonts are missing. I double click on every text layer to see what font is being used and double check Suitcase Fusion to make sure it is activated.

I'm using OSX Maverick 10.9.2. I'm using Suitcase Fusion 5 version 16.2.0. And I'm using Photoshop CC 14.2.1. It's more of an annoyance than anything, but would like to know why it keeps telling me fonts are not available when they are currently activated in Suitcase. Not sure if it's an Adobe issue or a Suitcase Fusion issue.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks!

Steve

• 1. Re: Fonts used in some text layers not available...
          DrStrik9 Level 4

There could be only ONE small character somewhere in a larger text string (such as a space) that references a font not available on your work system. Select ALL in each text area and reset the font to what you intend, and the error message should go away (as long as the fonts you intend to use are also present on your work system).

• 2. Re: Fonts used in some text layers not available...
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Our Bill uses Suitcase with 5000 odd fonts, but a PC.  He might happen along to offer an opinion.

• 3. Re: Fonts used in some text layers not available...
              sjscherf Level 1

DrStrik9, I opened up the file, clicked on each text layer and selected all to make sure there wasn't any character using a different font. There wasn't. I clicked on the font being used, tried changing it to a different font, then back to the font that was being used. I saved and closed the file, then reopened it, and that seemed to cure it for that file. Not an efficient way to go about it though.

I then tried another file that was giving me the same error, clicked on each text layer, changed the font to a different one, then back to what was being used, saved, closed and reopened it, and still got the same message. So it didn't work for that one. I then tried changing the font to a system font, Times Bold true type, saved, closed, reopened, and got the message again. So not sure what is going on. The fonts used in the first file were DIN and DINEngschrift postscript font, which were loaded and active in Font Fusion.

The 2nd file I tried was using Gotham Bold postscript font, which also was active in Font Fusion. I've run Font Doctor on the fonts and found no issues.

Even though I'm getting the error message when I'm opening these files, none of the text layers have that Exclamation point indicating there is an issue with the layer, so it would seem the text layers are fine. Just really annoying to get that error every time I open the file.

Another thing I tried is I created a new Photoshop file and just made some text layers using Gotham Bold. Saved, closed and reopened the file and did not get the message. So, I don't know why I would get it with one file and not another. Very confusing/frustrating. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

• 4. Re: Fonts used in some text layers not available...
                cherryberryhell Level 1

I also get the "Fonts used in some text layers are not available for activation. You will need to replace these fonts before the layers can be used for vector based output." EVEN THOUGH I'M OPENING A JPG.

I'm using Photoshop CC 2014.2.1 on a Mac.

• 5. Re: Fonts used in some text layers not available...
                  tjackl Level 1

I am also getting this message when opening some JPGs. In fact the dialog box pops up twice, one over the other. It makes no sense.

Photoshop CC 2017 on Mac, El Capitan. Using Suitcase with auto-activate plugin.

• 6. Re: Fonts used in some text layers not available...
                    Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

tjackl  wrote

I am also getting this message when opening some JPGs. In fact the dialog box pops up twice, one over the other. It makes no sense.

Photoshop CC 2017 on Mac, El Capitan. Using Suitcase with auto-activate plugin.

You should probably start a new thread for this, as this thread is fairly old.  That you are getting this message with a JPG sounds like a bug, but I have not heard of this.  However I am a Windows user.   Can you deactivate Suitcase?

• 7. Re: Fonts used in some text layers not available...
                      tjackl Level 1

I just deactivated the Suitcase auto-activate plugin, and it does indeed solve the problem. I may report it to Extensis when I get a chance.

• 8. Re: Fonts used in some text layers not available...
                        thegoframe Level 1

Also seems to be problem with Universal Type Client (Extensis) plugin.

For cross reference:

No fonts in file getting font warning?

• 9. Re: Fonts used in some text layers not available...
                          postrophe Level 4

Hi

For PS 2017, you kinda need Suitcase Fusion 7

Pierre

• 10. Re: Fonts used in some text layers not available...
                            thegoframe Level 1

The issue I ran into with Suitcase 5 came when I needed to update OS (in order to update Adobe CC).  Something corrupted and I lost access on a Extensis update and couldn't roll back. 5  was no longer supported and we had licensing already in place for UTC.  I tried for 7 though.  My coworkers are running I think ver 4 and have had none of the trouble I've had with software compatibility.