7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2014 11:56 AM by Peter Spier

OT - FLEXnet Licensing Service

Daniel Flavin Level 4

Does anybody have any insight as to the FLEXnet Licensing Service -

I have been troubleshooting a situation where printing from many/most applications causes a program hang and/or crash.

In a period of digital housekeeping recently I disabled an Adobe Service related to CS4 - I don't recall the particulars - license checking or update checking. (I have stopped using the CS4 suite aside from Acrobat 9)

I noticed a FLEXnet folder in my C:\Program Data  which contains nearly identicle log and data file entries for adobe_00080000 and esko_00426a00, both with recent time stamps and entries

Printing from Outlook crashes the program most of the time. Printing from Adobe apps is hit & miss.

Quite frustrating

• 1. Re: OT - FLEXnet Licensing Service
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

That's the service that activates CS4, if I remember correctly, and it needs to be running as far as I know. There was a Flexnet patch to solve some launch problems.

• 2. Re: OT - FLEXnet Licensing Service
            Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One of my older translation apps uses FlexNet as a license server. Can I use foul language on these forums? Probably not. It's pure, unadulterated garbage. Hate-worthy, in the most literaly sense. In the version Adobe used circa CS4, you're pretty locked out of the flexnet UI (if I recall correctly) so you can't tell it which hardware to authenticate against. Because, yeah, it queries your HD firmware or motherboard looking for a unique ID.

No idea why it'd interfere with printing, but it's capable of inflicting a very wide variety of, ah, effects on any system on which it is installed.

• 3. Re: OT - FLEXnet Licensing Service
              Daniel Flavin Level 4

In a nutshell, I'm a printer.

Currently most instances of "Print" disable/lock up the program, all of which recover just fine, but can you imagine the frustration? (fwiw, I don't get frustrated; I have many tools available to me. In a pinch, I can drag files to a RIP)

Appliactions frequently locking or which hang excessivley include InDesign CS5.5, Acrobat 9 Pro, Outlook & Word.

I question the FLEXnet service only becuase I have a log (somewhere) with entries concurrent to the hangs.

I want to avoid mucking things up further. Perhaps I'll uninstall CS4 - I won't be able to downsave a CS5.5 all the way to CS2 anymore, no loss there

But there is the uncertainty if CS4 uninstall will remove all entries, and Acrobat 9 was probably part of the 4 Suite...

You two are savvy - Print locks up application - suggetions?

(Google searches for this aren't hitting a good revelance. 99% of results relate to specific apps and/or drivers)

• 4. Re: OT - FLEXnet Licensing Service

I might reinstall the print divers.

I definitely would NOT uninstall CS4 unless you are preapred to reinstall CS5 forward. It will uninstall a lot of common files that have been updated by newer installs.

• 5. Re: OT - FLEXnet Licensing Service
                  Daniel Flavin Level 4

Changed my default printer to another on the LAN, no problems; tried the Fiery RIP Bizhub, crash...there's a lot of nuances to installing a RIP driven production press I wanted to avoid. oh well

• 6. Re: OT - FLEXnet Licensing Service
                    Daniel Flavin Level 4

Can't count how many times I suggested people should update their driver(s).

They frequently start a topic stating "all drivers are up-to-date" so I do not suggest such.

Just re-installed my driver, no update, just pointed Windows to it's location from last year still on my system.

Printing has gone from a crawl to lightning fast 

• 7. Re: OT - FLEXnet Licensing Service

well that's nice to hear...